The Lost Patrol

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Lost Patrol

I sent a Naval Bomber on patrol. Five or ten minutes later I came back to check on it and it was gone. No front report, just gone. No newspaper article, just gone off the map. How can I find out what happened to it?
      OysterT
    • Here I am, talking to myself. I think I found the answer. The airfield had been damaged since the plane had landed there and it preumably crashed on take off. May I suggest an improvement? As it stands, one should check their city icon before ever sending a plane into the air. It's unrealistic that anyone would , knowingly order their planes into the air on a damaged runway, unless in extremis. Unknowingly launching planes on damaged runways is not realistic. I did it three times before I realized what was going on. Can there be some kinfd of warning when planes are asked to launch off a broken runway? I would have fixed it, of course, or convoyed the planes...
      OysterT
    • OysterT wrote:

Here I am, talking to myself. I think I found the answer. The airfield had been damaged since the plane had landed there and it preumably crashed on take off. May I suggest an improvement? As it stands, one should check their city icon before ever sending a plane into the air. It's unrealistic that anyone would , knowingly order their planes into the air on a damaged runway, unless in extremis. Unknowingly launching planes on damaged runways is not realistic. I did it three times before I realized what was going on. Can there be some kinfd of warning when planes are asked to launch off a broken runway? I would have fixed it, of course, or convoyed the planes...
      It might be a bug, if your runway was broken you wouldn't be able to fly your plane in the first place.
    • OysterT wrote:

Here I am, talking to myself. I think I found the answer. The airfield had been damaged since the plane had landed there and it preumably crashed on take off. May I suggest an improvement? As it stands, one should check their city icon before ever sending a plane into the air. It's unrealistic that anyone would , knowingly order their planes into the air on a damaged runway, unless in extremis. Unknowingly launching planes on damaged runways is not realistic. I did it three times before I realized what was going on. Can there be some kinfd of warning when planes are asked to launch off a broken runway? I would have fixed it, of course, or convoyed the planes...
      You can't use damaged level 1 airstrips, and any damaged lvl 2 or 3 airstrips are still fully functional. What likely happened is that the airstrip was damaged by the enemy either by sabotage, or some form of bombardment/rockets after you sent the naval bomber on patrol, forcing it to crash land back at the airstrip if there were no others in range to operate from.
      Officer of The Golden Spire (March 2021 - April 2022)
      Secretary of the Secretary of Nova0213
    • I'll believe Arcorian's version. I had other airfields upon which to land. In fact, at least one of those planes appeared about an hour later on patrol where I had sent it. I use air units a lot and they are somewhat finicky to deal with. Many times they just won't take orders. Often, after their attack, nothing happens for a while, then the results come through. Overall though, I wouldn't be without my air cover. Just in case anyone is interested, the event I've described was a Persian Naval Bomber flying out of Konigsberg in Prussia( never to be confused with Persia). Persia is in first place in the Historical WWII scenario. South Africa is also in the money. What a game!
      OysterT
    • Maybe this is related - maybe not. But many, many, many times - at day change - if I have a large number of captured territories with low moral the AIRFIELD will always revolt or get damaged. It's like the game knows when i go to sleep. X(
      "Es gibt keine verzweifelten Lagen, es gibt nur verzweifelte Menschen" - There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.
      General Heinz Guderian (Schneller Heinz)

Kenny says - You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away And know when to run
    • dw98 wrote:

Maybe this is related - maybe not. But many, many, many times - at day change - if I have a large number of captured territories with low moral the AIRFIELD will always revolt or get damaged. It's like the game knows when i go to sleep.
      Yeah lmao 9/10 times I get destroyed is because i went to sleep I should stop telling the enemies my time zone.
      "So as long as there are men, there will always be wars"- Albert Einstein

"Football is a game of deceit"- Diego Maradona. Call of war is to.
    • There is no such thing. You cannot use damaged airports at all (can't launch planes from them). If you did, the airport was functional at the time and then got damaged by spies or enemy airforce. If you really could launch the planes from an airport, its current status would also allow you to operate and land back unless there was a bug.

Planes don't disappear when the airport becomes unfunctional. They simply switch to another friendly airport from which they are still in range. If there is no such airport, they fly to the position of the former airport and turn into truck convoys there. Those are very weak and easy to destroy, but the planes just do not die with their airport disabled, without the intervention of an enemy.

Edit: Also note that patrolling the very edge of your range can cause the planes to turn around. They will go back to refuel and then return. At that point, there is no way to get back to patrol without letting the planes return and refuel. Not sure if this is a bug, but probably yes. Even if you patrolled for X hours it might suddenly happen, it can anytime.
      "In CoW, don't stamp on things before looking. Rakes are everywhere!"

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper