Is Combat System Broken?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is Combat System Broken?

So I think combat system when attacking small stacks of 2 units is broken (this may extend to larger stacks but I am focusing on what I can test easily).

I have a stack of 5 Inf and 5 AC (Axis and all level 1 and slightly damaged 196.7 HP out of 200)
      It is attacking a stack of 1 x Inf and 1 x AA (Axis and all level 1 and undamaged 34 out of 34 HP)
      The combat is in a city
      Stack info reports (and I know these are average and actual will be a bit different due to RNG):
      my stack will deal out 43.1 HP damage to the enemy
      the enemy stack in defense will do 10.8 HP damage to me
      So: my expectation is that I will have a pretty good chance of an immediate kill on this 2 stack
      But no, the result is I kill the AA and leave the Inf completely undamaged and I take 7.4 HP damage

What I do not understand is why the Inf is completely undamaged at the end of the first combat round - I think the combat system is broken in this situation - I have seen this multiple times that is why I am reporting it here now
    • RogodeterSnowl wrote:

So I think combat system when attacking small stacks of 2 units is broken (this may extend to larger stacks but I am focusing on what I can test easily).

I have a stack of 5 Inf and 5 AC (Axis and all level 1 and slightly damaged 196.7 HP out of 200)
      It is attacking a stack of 1 x Inf and 1 x AA (Axis and all level 1 and undamaged 34 out of 34 HP)
      The combat is in a city
      Stack info reports (and I know these are average and actual will be a bit different due to RNG):
      my stack will deal out 43.1 HP damage to the enemy
      the enemy stack in defense will do 10.8 HP damage to me
      So: my expectation is that I will have a pretty good chance of an immediate kill on this 2 stack
      But no, the result is I kill the AA and leave the Inf completely undamaged and I take 7.4 HP damage

What I do not understand is why the Inf is completely undamaged at the end of the first combat round - I think the combat system is broken in this situation - I have seen this multiple times that is why I am reporting it here now
      It's something called fortifications
      "So as long as there are men, there will always be wars"- Albert Einstein

"Football is a game of deceit"- Diego Maradona. Call of war is to.
    • i believe it is a genuine bug that occurs when damaging a stack with different unit types. it occured to me as well, but never documented it.
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • Captain herkemier wrote:

the simple answer is, opposites. AA takes very less damage compared to infantry, thats why
      i do not remember an 'AA' Armour class nor the stating in-game that Certain units will stay unharmed during an attack.
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • Remember that for each attack there's an X-factor. You will never do a maximum damage output. It's a theoretical number, but the first casualty of war is the battle plan. Infantry is 50% stronger in defence plus the 15% bonus from the cores taking less damage and giving 15% more damage output, infantry is 80% stronger in it's cores in defence than you in attack. On top of it this gets amplified as infantry gets a bonus in cities which gives the defender even more advantage. Your AC are vulnerable in a city and don't get any bonus. It's pretty logic that you didn't kill those unit on the spot.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • BMfox wrote:

Remember that for each attack there's an X-factor. You will never do a maximum damage output. It's a theoretical number, but the first casualty of war is the battle plan. Infantry is 50% stronger in defence plus the 15% bonus from the cores taking less damage and giving 15% more damage output, infantry is 80% stronger in it's cores in defence than you in attack. On top of it this gets amplified as infantry gets a bonus in cities which gives the defender even more advantage. Your AC are vulnerable in a city and don't get any bonus. It's pretty logic that you didn't kill those unit on the spot.
      I am sorry - what you say does not wash at all
      I know the city has advantages and that Infantry is better in defense but these factors (I presume) are all taken into account in the "Army Info" button - this clearly stated I would do 43 damage. - I know there is a RNG to vary combat results but the result of that combat is that I killed an AA ie inflicted 17 HP damage and the Inf was left completely unharmed - this is broken.
    • This game is more than just the match between HP and damage output. A battle never goes the way you planned, just like you experienced. You will rarely take out two units in a single hit. An AA is a strong unit in mêlée combat especially with infantry. It is weird however that only the AA was affected. It's usually the other way around, AA normally is the last unit to die.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • but in a battle, Both unit types should be affected with a decrease in hp.

Secretary of Nova0213
    • BMfox wrote:

Remember that for each attack there's an X-factor. You will never do a maximum damage output. It's a theoretical number, but the first casualty of war is the battle plan. Infantry is 50% stronger in defence plus the 15% bonus from the cores taking less damage and giving 15% more damage output, infantry is 80% stronger in it's cores in defence than you in attack. On top of it this gets amplified as infantry gets a bonus in cities which gives the defender even more advantage. Your AC are vulnerable in a city and don't get any bonus. It's pretty logic that you didn't kill those unit on the spot.
      Not relevant to the problem, that some unit is stronger (has more damage) may change the amount of damage it receives in the case of planes attacking ground units, but even there, it's not enough to make a unit not receive any damage at all, not even a decimal.

Karl von Krass wrote:

but in a battle, Both unit types should be affected with a decrease in hp.
      If there is enough damage against an armour class to kill units, the ones with the lowest hp are chosen to die. The rest of the damage would make sense to be equally distributed, but it doesn't in practice (at least I haven't seen it do that recently). This is probably to reflect overkill and focus firing, and such aspects, in a simple way that doesn't make the game hard to understand.

Last Warrior wrote:

the answer is how many buildings were damaged ?
      Building damage is a separate factor and doesn't interfere with unit-to-unit damage, so it won't have any effect.

BMfox wrote:

AA normally is the last unit to die.
      I'm not sure about that. I've noticed that in certain periods planes received damage differently. Normally, the damage a unit receives is the damage output of the enemy army against its armour class divided by the size of the army it is in. But for attacking planes, a plane receives the damage of each enemy unit multiplied by how much % of the total damage dealt to that enemy unit was from the plane. So, as AA has low damage against most units, it would be the last to die with this mechanic enabled, as the damage it deals would be low, therefore just few % of its army's damage, and it would receive the smallest portion of damage back.
      However, I've never noticed this mechanic working for land unit fights, maybe it was implemented recently or only works on certain occasions...
      @freezy ?
      "In CoW, don't stamp on things before looking. Rakes are everywhere!"

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper
    • Still no real answer from anybody about this issue - just happened again to me when I bombarded a stack with 1 x Inf and 1 x Mot Inf - the bombardment unit had enuf damage HP to kill the stack - Now I know the RNG will vary this so was not expecting the stack to die but as usual, one unit (the Inf) died and the other (the Mot Inf) was totally unharmed. This is frankly ridiculous and should be fixed (along with about 50 other things in the game I could comment on lol)

Of course, it just happened again - a BB fleet bombarding 1 x Inf and 1 x AA. Result AA completely killed and Inf pristine. Again there was enough combat power to kill both and you would expect damage to both not one killed and one perfect.

The post was edited 1 time, last by RogodeterSnowl ().