AA No Fly Zone

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AA No Fly Zone

IRL, WWII anti-air artillery was able to engage any and all planes they detected flying within a certain area of the battery. I think this should be implemented into the game as well. This would be represented by a shaded circle similar to the patrol area for aerial units. It would not be nearly as large (maybe 5 or 10 range), but would work similarly. Any aerial unit flying in the shaded circle would be dealt a certain (smaller) percentage of the anti-air's damage. This would only be possible once every 5-10 minutes.

Feedback is much appreciated! I'm sure I've forgotten to take certain things into account.
    • newbgamer101 wrote:

IRL, WWII anti-air artillery was able to engage any and all planes they detected flying within a certain area of the battery. I think this should be implemented into the game as well. This would be represented by a shaded circle similar to the patrol area for aerial units. It would not be nearly as large (maybe 5 or 10 range), but would work similarly. Any aerial unit flying in the shaded circle would be dealt a certain (smaller) percentage of the anti-air's damage. This would only be possible once every 5-10 minutes.

Feedback is much appreciated! I'm sure I've forgotten to take certain things into account.
      It is
      "So as long as there are men, there will always be wars"- Albert Einstein

"Football is a game of deceit"- Diego Maradona. Call of war is to.
    • Oh that's not what I'm talking about. When you patrol over an area your plane will make an attack with a certain percent of its damage (like I proposed with aa) but will receive full damage. If there was a unit within the patrol circle then that unit dealt the entiretly of it's defense damage to that plane every 15 minutes when the plane made an attack.
      What I am proposing is a similar mechanic with aa units, except they would automatically deal a percentage of damage to any enemy aerial unit that even flies within the "patrol area".
    • newbgamer101 wrote:

Oh that's not what I'm talking about. When you patrol over an area your plane will make an attack with a certain percent of its damage (like I proposed with aa) but will receive full damage. If there was a unit within the patrol circle then that unit dealt the entiretly of it's defense damage to that plane every 15 minutes when the plane made an attack.
      What I am proposing is a similar mechanic with aa units, except they would automatically deal a percentage of damage to any enemy aerial unit that even flies within the "patrol area".
      I think it does that
      "So as long as there are men, there will always be wars"- Albert Einstein

"Football is a game of deceit"- Diego Maradona. Call of war is to.
    • newbgamer101 wrote:

I think it's a good idea, but there are many other factors like height and weather. Implementing this without adding those wouldn't make it any more realistic, only more complicated. As much of the player base doesn't have the "intelligence" and commitment for a complicated game, there is a large emphasis on making the game simple. AA is also simplified in the way that it works exactly like other ground units, except its defensive damage vs. planes is high.

newbgamer101 wrote:

but will receive full damage.
      It won't, it only receives 1/2, but the attacked unit defends with 1/2 offensive (!) damage first, only then does the plane deal its own 1/2 offensive damage.

MiloK32 wrote:

I think it does that
      Ground and naval units can only deal damage to flying planes defensively. You just can't deal damage to any plane in the air without using another plane, or without the enemy plane attacking you in the first place (patrolling, direct attack). Alternatively, you could disable the airport, which would just force the plane to return and turn into a truck on the damaged airport (unless there is another friendly airport it can operate from without getting out of range). You could then destroy the truck as it's very vulnerable. But, there is no way to really "attack" a plane in the air with the ground or naval units directly. It does not do that, if your planes get damaged it's because you're patrolling, and patrolling is attacking with 1/2 offensive damage and receiving 1/2 offensive damage back from all enemy armies within the patrol circle every 15 minutes. So, when patrolling, you're attacking in the first place (!). If you just sent planes to patrol and never let their 15-minute patrol timer run out, you could fly over as much and as high-levelled AA as you want, and would never receive the slightest damage.
      "In CoW, don't stamp on things before looking. Rakes are everywhere!"

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper
    • Hornetkeeper wrote:

I think it's a good idea, but there are many other factors like height and weather. Implementing this without adding those wouldn't make it any more realistic, only more complicated. As much of the player base doesn't have the "intelligence" and commitment for a complicated game, there is a large emphasis on making the game simple. AA is also simplified in the way that it works exactly like other ground units, except its defensive damage vs. planes is high.

Hornetkeeper wrote:

Ground and naval units can only deal damage to flying planes defensively. You just can't deal damage to any plane in the air without using another plane, or without the enemy plane attacking you in the first place (patrolling, direct attack)[...] But, there is no way to really "attack" a plane in the air with the ground or naval units directly. It does not do that, if your planes get damaged it's because you're patrolling, and patrolling is attacking with 1/2 offensive damage and receiving 1/2 offensive damage back from all enemy armies within the patrol circle every 15 minutes. So, when patrolling, you're attacking in the first place (!). If you just sent planes to patrol and never let their 15-minute patrol timer run out, you could fly over as much and as high-levelled AA as you want, and would never receive the slightest damage.
      That is precisely the problem I wish to solve. As it stands now, air units only take defensive damage from non-air units. This was (is) certainly not the case in real life and shouldn't be the case in-game either.
    • I'm just trying to explain why there's no place for this feature in the game. Realism is only a secondary objective, the first being manageability balanced out with strategy and its options. Realistic games are, for some, just too detailed and a pain to manage. There is no need to complicate the game, especially if the balance between realism and playability is so well achieved. As I said, most of the players aren't "smart enough", if I may say it the clearer way, to manage such a complicated game. So those realistic features (surely have been suggested before) are kept out, the complication they bring just has more negative effect than the fun they add has positive.

Not saying realisticity isn't important though, because the game being approximately realistic makes the strategy more intuitive, it'd be unfamiliar otherwise.
      "In CoW, don't stamp on things before looking. Rakes are everywhere!"

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper