Planes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• So i made my planes to patrol over enemy planes to bombard them while they were just standing, once my planes complete their patrol they do not seem to giving them damage for some reason. Also when planes are just standing their stats seems just like if they are patrolling. Are these bugs or the actual game thing because some months back i am sure this wasn't the case?
    • The air combat mechanics are sadly a little unrealistic. Patrolling planes, when their patrol timer runs out, first receive 1/2 of the defensive damage of all enemy armies within the patrol circle. Only after that (!) do they deal 1/2 of their damage to all the armies within the patrol circle, and also all enemy overlapping patrols (those won't deal any damage back).
      This means your patrol might have died to the defensive damage of the grounded planes. Then it wouldn't deal any damage. Grounded, not refuelling planes defend using their offensive (!) damage values, just like planes in the air.

You might have split the planes into small groups to patrol individually. Tip, if you aren't exceptionally good at understanding the game, just never do that.
      Always (!!) group your units into large armies. Such an army should contain groups of 10 units, of which each group has units very good against a kind of unit you expect to face in a fight. So, for example, 3 Infantry, 3 militia and 4 mechanized infantry are all very good against infantry, so are a group of 10 units good against infantry (but, in this example, their different speed makes the mech infantry pointless, and you could defend with just infantry, which would be more effective as you could afford upgrading them to a higher level).
      "In CoW, don't stamp on things before looking. Rakes are everywhere!"

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper
    • That's true and really helpful. Though I am just confused because some months back when I played a game I was able to take out enemy planes at rest pretty easily as they were vulnerable and really weak so I just bomb them but today I did the same thing again and opponent's planes at rest were able to do the same damage like if they were patroling(flying).
    • Grounded, not refuelling planes defend with their offensive damage just like planes in the air.

On the other hand, refuelling planes count as light armour convoys - they have exactly the same parameters as trucked planes. So, instead of having the plane hp and damage, they have 10 hp and about 0.3-0.5 damage against everything. The difference between refuelling and not refuelling planes is therefore huge, and becomes even larger as you research higher levels (the refuelling planes will have the same stats all game, but the stats of flying planes will improve as you research and upgrade).

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper
    • Yes, and you will in fact end up worse. You first receive the offensive damage from them, and your damage is lowered as your planes are damaged. Then you deal your offensive damage to them, but already lowered by the damage they dealt to you. I know this is irrational and hopefully, it'll be reworked, but can't say for now.

Hornetkeeper