Flame Troopers and flame tanks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Flame Troopers and flame tanks

Should this be added 19
        yes (7) 37%
        no (12) 63%
      COW should add flame troopers to the game. this troop would be produced in secret labs. maybe give this troop to the axis doctrine a few days early. but give the allies doctrine a 15 % attack bonus. this troop should get a buff in jungle/forest provinces and maybe hill providences. this troop should be good against soft targets such as infantry. also, another idea is flamethrower tanks act as something that can be researched a few days later than flame troopers. this tank would be more mobile and should have the same health and speed as medium tanks(so it should act like a normal tank) Idk which areas it should have bonuses in. it should not do very much damage to other armored units making it primary as an infantry killer. overall I think this idea has some potential and could very well fill out the secret research tab which I feel is lacking something. Let me know what you guys think. all the doctrine stuff should be somewhat similar for the tank :D
    • another idea for the secret branch is to make "fire bombers" which would act simmilar to tactical bombers. they would drop bombs that would not do much damage to troops instantly but would give them a burning status effect as long as they were in a province that was recently firebombombed btw this one in particular is a bad idea

The post was edited 1 time, last by YoungJamal: just to warm people ().

• I agree that this sounds like a good addition to the game, however it does not fit the scale of the game. In reality flamethrowers and flamethrower tanks were used as parts of regular units. Fire bombers (or at least bomber equipped with incendiary bombs), though, were used as whole units and as such could be used in the game. The only problem is to find a place for them not already filled by another unit.
      Keep in mind the scale of time within the game. Hours irl represent days in game. As such, burning effects would not be realistic.
    • Strat bombers r basically firebombers. Incendiary bombs r dropped on cities etc to burn the place down, ie Dresden or Tokyo. So they are already in the game really.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• newbgamer101 wrote:

I agree that this sounds like a good addition to the game, however it does not fit the scale of the game. In reality flamethrowers and flamethrower tanks were used as parts of regular units. Fire bombers (or at least bomber equipped with incendiary bombs), though, were used as whole units and as such could be used in the game. The only problem is to find a place for them not already filled by another unit.
      Keep in mind the scale of time within the game. Hours irl represent days in game. As such, burning effects would not be realistic.
      True, that was what I was thinking as well, most of these "new" units would just fill the same role of existing units the bomber idea in particular was really bad as well.
    • Flame troopers and tanks can attack the enemy relatively safe and with effect, in a case that enemy stayed in a stronghold.

Because flame deplete air which be complicated space for instance, pit, ditch, trench, shelter groove, etc. so enemy's soldier choke and die.

So I expect that this unit has the skill “ Ignores fortifications ”.
    • pod_than wrote:

Flame troopers and tanks can attack the enemy relatively safe and with effect, in a case that enemy stayed in a stronghold.

Because flame deplete air which be complicated space for instance, pit, ditch, trench, shelter groove, etc. so enemy's soldier choke and die.

So I expect that this unit has the skill “ Ignores fortifications ”.
      All in all, flame units wouldn't be an awful idea. Its just that they're too small a concept for this game. The smallest sized unit is a regiment, and after looking through the OOBs of all US and British units which saw combat in relevant theaters, not a single one had a dedicated flamethrower regiment. Flamethrowers were issued on a case by case basis at the company level, which is two steps down from a regiment. Similarly, flamethrower tanks were usually issued to tank platoon's HQ/reserve. At most a platoon had one, but it wasn't common.

Furthermore, to counter my own previous point, bomber carried bombs, and whatever kind they carried was mission dependant. There weren't any dedicated firebombers, and incendiary bombs were used not all that often (Dresden, Tokyo, Warsaw, Moscow).

It's also worth pointing out that the "bunker" structure in game isn't a single bunker. It's a series of bunkers spread throughout the area (think Normandy). As such, flame troops would be less effective than for singular bunkers.
    • The biggest problem that I see with this idea is that flame troops are basically different versions of other ones. For example flame troopers feel kind of similar to motorized infantry (good infantry damage poor armored damage) and flame tanks really aren’t necessary as medium/heavy tanks already deal decent infantry damage. As for flame bombers they sort of feel like a mix between tacs and strategic bombers. Not a bad idea but it would be hard to implement because they don’t feel unique and they’re too small of a concept as newbgamer said.
    • randomperson0195 wrote:

The biggest problem that I see with this idea is that flame troops are basically different versions of other ones. For example flame troopers feel kind of similar to motorized infantry (good infantry damage poor armored damage) and flame tanks really aren’t necessary as medium/heavy tanks already deal decent infantry damage. As for flame bombers they sort of feel like a mix between tacs and strategic bombers. Not a bad idea but it would be hard to implement because they don’t feel unique and they’re too small of a concept as newbgamer said.
      As newbgamer101 says, flame units are “ too small a concept for this game ”.
      So I would admit it affirmative that such unit should not be added.
      But do motorized infantry have means to choke and kill enemies soldiers within a fortifications?
      Are flame tanks “ similar to motorized infantry ” from that point of view too?

The post was edited 1 time, last by pod_than ().

• Credit for the idea but I think flamethrowers are too micro to be relevant on the macro scale that is call of war. Ie can't we just assume infantry have dedicated flamers, if 1 infantry unit is supposed to equal 1000 men, and likewise it would be weird to have a division with 1000 flame troopers. This explanation might seem a bit lazy, but I don't really want the added hassle of deciding which of the many units get my precious research slot.

*Shameless plug* That's why we should have generals :D, ie a general might have a description of being 'invested in flame warfare' which would translate to an inital 2% buff to infantry damage and a 4% HP reduction and/or +4% fuel consumption (flame tanks go boom)
      Make HWW all in, a staple gamemode :thumbup: