Roll Playing: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Roll Playing: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I remember a 1939 1.0 WW2 game I played as the Turks. The only reason I joined this game was when I was checking the ranks of those already in, I recognized the name of someone who I had played with before. Daseem Ultar. He had randomly acquired China in a 1.0 WW2 historical, and the last country left which I got was unbelievably the USA. The Japanese attacked Daseem almost immediately and although outnumbered and possessing inferior technology, he was by far the better general and bloodied the nose of the not so skilled leader of the invading forces. I've played 43 games, but it says 46 on my record, and around half of my 20 solo victories had been playing Japan, so I know what to do and not, when you come up against a formidable commander who does not make mistakes. A few days passed with the Japanese forces making little progress. Both sides had suffered heavy casualties and could only hold the ground they had, but the Japanese economy was much more historically accurate with 1.0 and by day four was producing more combat units than China, and began slowly pushing inland. Then both the Chinese and Japanese forces locked in combat were stunned. News stations around the world announced that the entire American fleet and 8 regiments had just surprise attacked Japan and Tokyo had fallen. Of coarse the Chinese were jubilant and the lack of basic naval tactics by the Japanese commander, caused similar jubilation back in Navy headquarters as American naval casualties were two destroyers and two submarines sunk, while the Japanese lost their entire navy in two days. I gave Daseem one of my battleships so he could clean up the last of the Japanese forces trapped on the coast and I went on to win a solo with Daseem coming in second. We had great personal roll playing conversations all through the game, and he almost killed me laughing a few times. So with only a few countries left to choose from I took Turkey because it was the closest to Daseem who had Yugoslavia. The first thing I did was message him. A joyous reunion. Then I proposed a plan to him that we should pretend to slowly start disliking each other with articles in the World Herald and build it up to hate and possible war. If other players buy our ruse they may not worry much about either of us attacking them, especially if in private messages to my future enemies, I confirm my World Herald Yugoslavian bashing statements along with whatever diplomatic falsehoods are needed at the time. He agreed and it began. Daseem played the mild manured godless communist who spewed party propaganda of state superiority and the banning all forms of godly worship, while I took on the roll of an insane egotistical fanatical ruthless Christian hating Muslim, bent on burning down the entire Christian world. This also helped deflect any suspicion of why I did not surprise attack Yugoslavia like I continuously threatened to do in the paper since bereft of Christians, I would save that realm for my last acquisition, and build a mosque on every block. After taking Greece and Bulgaria I eventually went to war with the British and seized all of Egypt. In the paper I continually denied reports that captured Christian soldiers were being forced to dismantle the Pyramids of Gisa and block the Suez canal with the debris. I also denied that our peace loving realm had neither beaten, bottled, blinded, butchered, barbecued, beheaded or buggered 250,000 Bulgarian, Greek, or British soldiers that could not be accounted for, that is until a Turkish rebel broke into the World Herald and printed an article exposing the location of the bodies. Well the next day half a dozen countries met in Canton to discuss the atrocious events of the Newly proclaimed Ottoman Empire, and what to do about it. Since my invitation must have been lost in the mail I sent a lot of assassins spies to present my thoughts on the matter but unfortunately the Japanese leader thought I might try something like this, and had at great cost, stuffed the city with a massive amount of counter espionage agents, that were able to prevent any major damage as well as killing every agent I sent. Then with carefully worded insults without any use of invective vernacular, we sunk to the level of accusing each other of having a particular piece of anatomy that was too small to be useful, effective, or even capable of functioning. I got several private messages from players saying that the verbal feud between myself and others was absolutely hilarious and when they plugged in to play, they would go to the world Herald first to see the latest brutal literary exchanges, rather than tend to their own country. That is quite a compliment considering that the nasty cold blooded racist hate, dominating in these articles would get those involved banned if not done under the protective cover of roll playing. Lastly, I upset and drove the biggest threat to me, which was Japan, into such a rage, that he attacked me as quickly as he could in my recently conquered country of Arabia with any small land units that were close, instead of being patient and building up a sufficient force supported by ships and aircraft. A week later Turkish troops entered Tokyo and once again thanks to Daseem I took the solo and he came in second. Oh, near the end of the game it became obvious that Daseem and I had had a secret alliance all along as we attacked our neighbors, who more than I had hoped had nothing on our borders. Ha ha ha! Lying, cheating backstabbing and deceiving are all part of war, are they not?
    • simon wrote:

I remember a 1939 1.0 WW2 game I played as the Turks. The only reason I joined this game was when I was checking the ranks of those already in, I recognized the name of someone who I had played with before. Daseem Ultar. He had randomly acquired China in a 1.0 WW2 historical, and the last country left which I got was unbelievably the USA. The Japanese attacked Daseem almost immediately and although outnumbered and possessing inferior technology, he was by far the better general and bloodied the nose of the not so skilled leader of the invading forces. I've played 43 games, but it says 46 on my record, and around half of my 20 solo victories had been playing Japan, so I know what to do and not, when you come up against a formidable commander who does not make mistakes. A few days passed with the Japanese forces making little progress. Both sides had suffered heavy casualties and could only hold the ground they had, but the Japanese economy was much more historically accurate with 1.0 and by day four was producing more combat units than China, and began slowly pushing inland. Then both the Chinese and Japanese forces locked in combat were stunned. News stations around the world announced that the entire American fleet and 8 regiments had just surprise attacked Japan and Tokyo had fallen. Of coarse the Chinese were jubilant and the lack of basic naval tactics by the Japanese commander, caused similar jubilation back in Navy headquarters as American naval casualties were two destroyers and two submarines sunk, while the Japanese lost their entire navy in two days. I gave Daseem one of my battleships so he could clean up the last of the Japanese forces trapped on the coast and I went on to win a solo with Daseem coming in second. We had great personal roll playing conversations all through the game, and he almost killed me laughing a few times. So with only a few countries left to choose from I took Turkey because it was the closest to Daseem who had Yugoslavia. The first thing I did was message him. A joyous reunion. Then I proposed a plan to him that we should pretend to slowly start disliking each other with articles in the World Herald and build it up to hate and possible war. If other players buy our ruse they may not worry much about either of us attacking them, especially if in private messages to my future enemies, I confirm my World Herald Yugoslavian bashing statements along with whatever diplomatic falsehoods are needed at the time. He agreed and it began. Daseem played the mild manured godless communist who spewed party propaganda of state superiority and the banning all forms of godly worship, while I took on the roll of an insane egotistical fanatical ruthless Christian hating Muslim, bent on burning down the entire Christian world. This also helped deflect any suspicion of why I did not surprise attack Yugoslavia like I continuously threatened to do in the paper since bereft of Christians, I would save that realm for my last acquisition, and build a mosque on every block. After taking Greece and Bulgaria I eventually went to war with the British and seized all of Egypt. In the paper I continually denied reports that captured Christian soldiers were being forced to dismantle the Pyramids of Gisa and block the Suez canal with the debris. I also denied that our peace loving realm had neither beaten, bottled, blinded, butchered, barbecued, beheaded or buggered 250,000 Bulgarian, Greek, or British soldiers that could not be accounted for, that is until a Turkish rebel broke into the World Herald and printed an article exposing the location of the bodies. Well the next day half a dozen countries met in Canton to discuss the atrocious events of the Newly proclaimed Ottoman Empire, and what to do about it. Since my invitation must have been lost in the mail I sent a lot of assassins spies to present my thoughts on the matter but unfortunately the Japanese leader thought I might try something like this, and had at great cost, stuffed the city with a massive amount of counter espionage agents, that were able to prevent any major damage as well as killing every agent I sent. Then with carefully worded insults without any use of invective vernacular, we sunk to the level of accusing each other of having a particular piece of anatomy that was too small to be useful, effective, or even capable of functioning. I got several private messages from players saying that the verbal feud between myself and others was absolutely hilarious and when they plugged in to play, they would go to the world Herald first to see the latest brutal literary exchanges, rather than tend to their own country. That is quite a compliment considering that the nasty cold blooded racist hate, dominating in these articles would get those involved banned if not done under the protective cover of roll playing. Lastly, I upset and drove the biggest threat to me, which was Japan, into such a rage, that he attacked me as quickly as he could in my recently conquered country of Arabia with any small land units that were close, instead of being patient and building up a sufficient force supported by ships and aircraft. A week later Turkish troops entered Tokyo and once again thanks to Daseem I took the solo and he came in second. Oh, near the end of the game it became obvious that Daseem and I had had a secret alliance all along as we attacked our neighbors, who more than I had hoped had nothing on our borders. Ha ha ha! Lying, cheating backstabbing and deceiving are all part of war, are they not?
      That was a great read. do you always RP in games or was this just a server where everyone did or just a regular game. none the less that was pretty great