Espionage and counterespionage

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Espionage and counterespionage

I played a fun game recently, but It became painfully obvious I didn’t understand the espionage/counterespionage rules. Couple of questions I couldn’t answer from the wiki description.

is there any advantage to placing multiple spies with CI missions in your capital or other cities?

when your CI spies identify a spy, how do you then get ride of them, or can you?

which spies have the better chance of seeing the target’s troop placements, intelligence missions or military sabotage?

Is it always best to put spies in a country’s capital?
    • Hello! I don't have full data to support, but I will share from my experience and some known facts. Please correct if I have an error!

1. is there any advantage to placing multiple spies with CI missions in your capital or other cities?
        1. Yes and yes. the counter intelligence will only be successful against a spy placed in that city. Spies have a 50% mission success rate, multiple spies don't reduce the odds, however if there are more than 1 spy at that city, you are increasing your chances of catching one.
      2. when your CI spies identify a spy, how do you then get ride of them, or can you
        1. Your CI will have a mission success 50% of the time, need to ride it out. Adding a spy does not increase it to 100% success, but you will have 2 at 50% chance.
      3. which spies have the better chance of seeing the target’s troop placements, intelligence missions or military sabotage?
        1. Military sabotage have an increased chance of revealing some or all armies of targeted nation.
      4. Is it always best to put spies in a country’s capital?
        1. I would say No, but try anyways. The likelihood of CI being there is higher, meaning you may risk being caught. Spread the love and high targets accordingly. Use the Intel to find out more about economy, buildings and comms. Use the Economy sabotage spy to hit resource production sites that are more heavily required based on the production and army composition. Use Military sabotage to hit best military production sites to hinger the army's expansion.
      I hope this helps!
    • Thanks for laying it out a little more.

I tested this on my last game. After putting six spies in an opponent’s capital for three days in a row on military sabotage missions, without getting their troop locations, I decided to change their mission to information gathering and got their troop locations. Is it possible both do it? Is one more likely to get troop locations than the other?

On this last game when I had spies on military sabotage missions, I saw the opponent had a providence and military units defect to a neighbor. Was the spy the reason for this? I know low morale providences switching during day change happens. I was having a had time telling if the spies were effective while on military sabotage unless I saw an article in the newspaper about them.