Pinned How to play the Allies doctrine: day to day report with British Columbia on World at War

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• freezy wrote:

Imagine a stack of Interceptors being 3min away from your own Interceptors
      That is a lot of imagination indeed. Even an addicted player like me wont be looking everywhere on his screen all the time. Just to be able to spot Pan-Asian interceptors when they are flying in, in the hope that you can attack him when he flies back. What you suggest requires a lot of micro management, that 99% of the COW players aren't able to do. Fighting Pan Asian as an Allies player is already very demanding but air vs air extremely hard and demands a lot of game activity and attention to detail. Pan-Asian and Allies are like night and day. Comintern and Axis are well balanced for Allies players but for Pan-Asian that isn't the case.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • The 3min was just an example, can also be 10min or whatever, just as long as its within the flight range of your interceptors and still in flight range when your interceptors arrive at the attack location. It's the same amount of micromanagement required as doing this with other Doctrines. You said Allied Interceptors cannot chase the Panasian Interceptors due to the speed gap so I just wanted to clarify that with CoW's air mechanics it is absolutely possible to chase and catch a faster plane with a slower plane, so Doctrine's dont matter in that regard. If you have the micromanagement or activity needed for that is another question, but that's independent of Doctrine.

It wasnt a comment on general Doctrine balance.
    • freezy wrote:

The 3min was just an example, can also be 10min or whatever, just as long as its within the flight range of your interceptors and still in flight range when your interceptors arrive at the attack location. It's the same amount of micromanagement required as doing this with other Doctrines. You said Allied Interceptors cannot chase the Panasian Interceptors due to the speed gap so I just wanted to clarify that with CoW's air mechanics it is absolutely possible to chase and catch a faster plane with a slower plane, so Doctrine's dont matter in that regard. If you have the micromanagement or activity needed for that is another question, but that's independent of Doctrine.

It wasnt a comment on general Doctrine balance.
      You still can only attack them when they fly in, not when they fly out, after they attacked your ground troops for example. My worry is that Pan Asian interceptors are simply too good: 20% movement speed, 30% more line of sight (huge advantage in air vs air), 15% extra range, 15% vs all planes, day of availability -1/-2. You have all that combine in one super fast unit and that against a doctrine which is 30% slower and highly depends on it's tactical bombers. I'm still convinced that the Allies vs Pan-Asian is broken. All the other doctrines are nicely balanced and there's not really a doctrine that's standing out against another.
      BMfox

• Since kiting does not work on air battles I believe Allies still can compete with Pan asian air v air battles.
      Although i do not mostly Fight Allies v Pan asian on the air but i do utilise This in air battles in general and therefore think that Pan asian does not Hold a significant domination of the Skies and the advantages will mostly be better used by higher end players.

"In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • BMfox wrote:

You still can only attack them when they fly in, not when they fly out, after they attacked
      No that's not correct, that's what I wanted to make clear here in my previous posts as I think this mechanic is misunderstood. You can totally attack them when they fly out even if they are faster than you. Your planes will still catch up even though they have lower speed. Their speed doesn't matter as long as they are still within range when the atack timer of your planes reaches 0.

The attack timer aka the travel time of your planes will only go downwards once you gave the attack command, it will never go upwards (e.g. because the distance becomes larger). Let's say the enemy planes are already 5min away from your province after their attack and you give the attack command to your planes at that moment. 5min later the enemy planes are already 12min away from your province and still 7min away from your planes, but your planes still attack them at that moment despite the large gap in distance. That's because your attack timer of 5min ran out at that moment. Your planes then perform a "jump" to the enemy plane position 7min away and still deal their damage to the enemy planes (this only works though if the enemy planes are not out of the flight range circle at that moment).

That is how it works currently in the engine. It is wonky but it basically allows your slower Allied planes to catch faster Pan Asian planes.

I hope it is clear now?

Karl von Krass wrote:

Since kiting does not work on air battles I believe Allies still can compete with Pan asian air v air battles.
      Yes that's what I am telling, kiting doesn't work in the engine so speed of the aircraft is not a big factor when issuing attack commands onto enemy planes. It is a minor factor though because faster planes can get out of the flight range circle faster than slower planes.
    • I can see an advantage for pan asian interceptors but not a major one.
      If kiting worked then Plane combat would take a Nosedive (Haha get it?)
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • Hi BMFox, thanks for the guide, I find it very informative. You certainly are a class act with your respect for your in-game opponent. I wish all players were like that. As has been pointed out by others, joining with your coalition mates is a tremendous advantage, more than any amount of gold would have gotten you.

I have to ask, what happened to your sixth member Kansas? You said he left the discord chat. What happened next? Did you guys attack him, allow him to just go AI, or something else? I'm curious.

Also, how long did it take you to form your coalition? Did you do so on day one or did you try to conceal the fact your alliance was trying to take over the map for as long as possible?

I find it interesting you said North USA would try to play your alliance/coalition mates off against each other. I always research profiles of anyone in my vicinity very early in the game to look for worthy partners, but I understand why you didn't do that under the circumstances you joined this game under.

The post was edited 1 time, last by 6thDragon ().

• 6thDragon wrote:

I have to ask, what happened to your sixth member Kansas? You said he left the discord chat. What happened next? Did you guys attack him, allow him to just go AI, or something else? I'm curious.
      We've let him go AI and we didn't attack him as it was out of the way. The majority of our troops were in Asia.

6thDragon wrote:

Also, how long did it take you to form your coalition? Did you do so on day one or did you try to conceal the fact your alliance was trying to take over the map for as long as possible?
      We only made the coalition once North America was united and that is was obvious that we worked together.

6thDragon wrote:

I find it interesting you said North USA would try to play your alliance/coalition mates off against each other. I always research profiles of anyone in my vicinity very early in the game to look for worthy partners, but I understand why you didn't do that under the circumstances you joined this game under.
      It's more like N USA didn't check all the players profiles in his vicinity as otherwise he would have seen that we were all in the same alliance.
      BMfox

• BMfox wrote:

6thDragon wrote:

It's more like N USA didn't check all the players profiles in his vicinity as otherwise he would have seen that we were all in the same alliance.
      I agree, they should have noticed that!

I believe assessing player profiles is an intermediate skill in the game. In my last game, there was an alliance acting discretely and I offered to help a nearby coalition of newbies against them. When I pointed out that they were all in the same alliance, two of the newbie coalition players messaged me back asking what proof I had they were coordinating because they hadn't formed a coalition yet. They had no idea what an alliance was. I had to explain it to them very step-by-step.

Perhaps that's an idea for you for an upcoming guide. How to assess other player profiles. You could even combine use of the newspaper for opposition research. I do both of these but could certainly learn a lot from someone with your experience.