Food is basically useless now, don't improve those provinces!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Food is basically useless now, don't improve those provinces!!

Early game, food has its uses for building barracks and infantry if that is your choice. The downside of spamming barracks is the amount of goods that you have to use. In mid to late game, I only use food to build propaganda centers or help create a navy. If I'm land-locked or playing a map where a navy isn't that helpful, food becomes practically obsolete. Food is NOT used for ALL: tanks, planes, SP arty, TD, AC, SP AA, nukes, etc. Unless you are going for a low-tech, non-oil army, food just piles up.

Other uses of food = Militia. Even after the buff, this units is still a waste of research and resources and only hurt your K/D ratio. I have NEVER lost to an opponent that used militia, ever. I do use infantry early and occasionally Motorized Infantry (if i have tons of goods) BUT if I'm struggling with goods, infantry usually gets a pass. Every game that I win, I am swimming in FOOD which tells me I did right by ignoring it. I can't sell it, I can't trade it, heck I can't give it away.

Some advice to newer players...don't upgrade your food provinces. Spend your metal, goods, oil and rares on provinces that give just that...those four resources. Don't upgrade food provinces for the cash either...it is not that helpful.
    • You will need food. Commandos and paratroopers are vital because they are stealth units, therefore able to move about enemy territory without being detected by certain units. These are especially important for invading enemy lines, and paratroopers, if used wisely, can be more powerful than 20 heavy tanks. Motorized infantry is essential, because it provides reconnaissance on stealth units, also while being one of the fastest units on the battlefield & the most efficient against infantry (okay, not to some, but costs, attributes, and bonuses put together say otherwise). Any country without an air force will be defeated soundly, while food can also be used to sell on the market. Food prices on the market can reach as high as 22, I even joined a game where people were buying for $30 per piece.
      If you say there are no limits in the world, why do you say to keep trying until you get something right? There is no limit of wrong answers, you're wasting your life away for a goal you can never reach. :00002178:

-Alexandera Nevsky
    • No, infantry does not need food. As long as they have gasoline, cyanide, & dynamite sticks, they're set to go.
      If you say there are no limits in the world, why do you say to keep trying until you get something right? There is no limit of wrong answers, you're wasting your life away for a goal you can never reach. :00002178:

-Alexandera Nevsky
    • BeerBelly wrote:

Early game, food has its uses for building barracks and infantry if that is your choice. The downside of spamming barracks is the amount of goods that you have to use. In mid to late game, I only use food to build propaganda centers or help create a navy. If I'm land-locked or playing a map where a navy isn't that helpful, food becomes practically obsolete. Food is NOT used for ALL: tanks, planes, SP arty, TD, AC, SP AA, nukes, etc. Unless you are going for a low-tech, non-oil army, food just piles up.

Other uses of food = Militia. Even after the buff, this units is still a waste of research and resources and only hurt your K/D ratio. I have NEVER lost to an opponent that used militia, ever. I do use infantry early and occasionally Motorized Infantry (if i have tons of goods) BUT if I'm struggling with goods, infantry usually gets a pass. Every game that I win, I am swimming in FOOD which tells me I did right by ignoring it. I can't sell it, I can't trade it, heck I can't give it away.

Some advice to newer players...don't upgrade your food provinces. Spend your metal, goods, oil and rares on provinces that give just that...those four resources. Don't upgrade food provinces for the cash either...it is not that helpful.
      Start upgrading your units. You start with 17 infantry so upgrade those trough out the game. All infantry and early ordnance units (AT, AA, Artillery) need food so you also need food to upgrade those. Navy also needs food to be produced and to upgrade afterwards. Before you can upgrade those units, you need to unlock the research with,... yes again food.

As you upgrade your units, you also need to upgrade your buildings so that the production time stays as low as possible. Upgrading your barracks, ordnance,... costs food too. In mid game when manpower gets low and on big maps as morale starts to drop you build recruitment centres and propaganda offices and upgrade them, also those cost food.

Finally the elite infantry units like motorized and mechanized infantry, commando's and paratroopers cost a ton of food.

It sounds to me that you are focussing too much on armoured units and planes which results in a food sur plus. This isn't good as firstly your are countered easily. Secondly you aren't taking full advantage of what your economy has to offer and thirdly it makes your game style predictable.

I hope this was of help :) good luck!
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • BMfox wrote:

Start upgrading your units. You start with 17 infantry so upgrade those trough out the game.
      Most people say that it's good to upgrade units only when there's a big level gap like Lv.1 - Lv.4 or Lv.4 to Lv.6 instead of upgrading your units every level to save resources, I've recently started implementing that in my games, It doesn't seem like I save resources. Any advice? ?(
    • Blue&Bright wrote:

BMfox wrote:

Start upgrading your units. You start with 17 infantry so upgrade those trough out the game.
      Most people say that it's good to upgrade units only when there's a big level gap like Lv.1 - Lv.4 or Lv.4 to Lv.6 instead of upgrading your units every level to save resources, I've recently started implementing that in my games, It doesn't seem like I save resources. Any advice? ?(
      Upgrading with a gap won't really save you much resources in the end. It's cheaper that is true but not that much. However waiting for this little advantage means that you will be at a disadvantage for plenty of time as your units will have lower battle stats. If you would wait for your infantry to upgrade to level 4 which is available between day 6 and 8 depending on the doctrine, you will have inferior infantry for 6 days. Having inferior troops for 6 days means that they will deal less damage to the enemy, take more damage themselves and die faster. Each unit that dies represents resources, manpower and production time that you lose and never get back as you need to replace it.

I always upgrade my troops as it increases their HP and battle stats resulting in me losing less troops and saving resources as I don't have to replace them. Having a good researched and developed army gives you an edge that your opponent doesn't have.

The only way to save resources by upgrading is the following. For example you have an infantry level 1, you have done the research of level 2 infantry. You won't upgrade your infantry but you will wait until you can research level 3. Once the research level 3 is almost done, you will start to upgrade your infantry to level 2. Now when the level 3 research is done when at the same time your level 2 infantry upgrade isn't finished yet. Your infantry will at the end of the upgrade transform into a level 3 instead. So basically you pay a upgrade level 2 and the level 3 for free. It works for all units no matter which branch. It's the cheapest way to upgrade units.
      BMfox

• Thanks a lot really helped me out,but if the gap is less for example from Lv.1 to Lv.3 inf in Pan-Asian which is I think 2/3 days then It's wis eto sage resources.

BMfox wrote:

The only way to save resources by upgrading is the following. For example you have an infantry level 1, you have done the research of level 2 infantry. You won't upgrade your infantry but you will wait until you can research level 3. Once the research level 3 is almost done, you will start to upgrade your infantry to level 2. Now when the level 3 research is done when at the same time your level 2 infantry upgrade isn't finished yet. Your infantry will at the end of the upgrade transform into a level 3 instead. So basically you pay a upgrade level 2 and the level 3 for free. It works for all units no matter which branch. It's the cheapest way to upgrade units.
      I didn't know this trick, Wow. I assume even this need a delay and you'll have weaker troops for some time, it still saves resources though. Also should I build Lv.1 Units and then directly upgrading them to the max,(late game) to save resources or should I just directly produce, the high level troops.(I want to be more resource efficient than time, I have plenty of time). Thank :thumbup:
    • Blue&Bright wrote:

I didn't know this trick, Wow. I assume even this need a delay and you'll have weaker troops for some time, it still saves resources though. Also should I build Lv.1 Units and then directly upgrading them to the max,(late game) to save resources or should I just directly produce, the high level troops.(I want to be more resource efficient than time, I have plenty of time). Thank
      I usually spam a lot of cheap level 1 units to upgrade them afterwards once I have the resources. I'll always try to upgrade my infantry to level 2 on day 2 to gain an extra edge. With other units I wait a bit longer to research as it increases their building time and you need to upgrade your military buildings too, to avoid longer production times. I upgrade my ground force usually as soon as I have the resources available. I do the trick usually with navy, notably with a cruiser and aircraft carrier spam. Scout units as destroyers, mot infantry and AC you always want to have maxed out so that you can spot the stealth units. It also depends on the doctrine, with Axis I'll delay my upgrades where as with allies I'll do it sooner.
      BMfox

• Indeed, Allies get a 25% research cost reduction and a 20% unit upgrade reduction. As it's cheaper you can upgrade your units sooner than the other doctrines. Axis units are more expensive to produce and upgrade due to their higher HP and damage output. So as playing Axis I' will take longer to spare the resources for an upgrade.
      BMfox