What are the best starting country and tips for early game?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Invest in your industry early.

Start researching technology that will allow you to go on offense and resist the urge to do so until you have a sufficient number of offensive units.

concentrate your units. Take calculated risks by leaving boarders with AI nations unguarded in order to focus on quickly overwhelming your first human opponent.

those are my tips regardless of the country or doctrine.

The post was edited 1 time, last by 6thDragon ().

• 22 Player Map, Russian Empire and Egypt

Reason
      Since both countries have very few borders to protect, which will be helpful if you're not the type to fight on multiple fronts.

Strategy for the first day
      Build the economy until the third day

Fourth and fifth day
      On the fourth day of playing as the Russian Empire I usually prepare to invade from all directions, all units are ready to fight, planes are ready to bombard the enemy and everything.

My first invasion was the Soviets, followed by Karelia after, Cossacks, Finland, Caucasus, Ukraine and Poland, Egypt, Libya, Czechoslovakia and Germany, Greater Romania, Yugoslavia and Bulgaria, and the war was won.

It's a different story if you play with a coalition, where it might even be faster to win the war, soloing with my plan above takes about 21-28 days depending on how the campaign is going, if I can't defend a front I will withdraw the troops and focus on other fronts.

Good luck.
    • Turkey and Sweden are great on the 22 player map too.

For Turkey all you need to do is build a few artillery and rocket artillery and send them into the Caucuses. The mountains will give them a boost. You can bombard them forcing them to attack with defensive units and the mountains prevent them from reinforcing easily. Plus you have the same benefit as mentioned above in terms of starting at the edge of the map.

Sweden also has many of the same advantages of starting on the edge of the map but their starting resources is more manageable. Turkey is short a providence with rare material, which hurts try to build SP rocket artillery. Sweden is short a providence with food; more manageable in my opinion.

Also important in the starting game is prioritizing your manufacturing. I always specialize my cities. One for infantry, tanks, etc. You don’t need a barracks in every city, probably just one or two. You will conserve resources this way.
    • On a classical 22-player map, go for SOUTHERN USA.
      With this country try to ally with/conquer the whole of America and conquer Cuba too. You almost never worry about your southern & eastern flank initially as the country is an ocean away from Europe, so focus on conquering North America.
      Next build up industries and stuff to get your economy in shape and plant subs for coastal protection, patrol the waters with naval bombers too.
      Simultaneously, create task forces and provide sufficient Airforce with aircraft carriers. Tis is essential to get to mainland Europe where all the victory points lie. Aim for Western Sahara & Portugal even if this means going to war with other big nations. It provides a gateway to Europe and Africa.
      Well this country is isolated so it can be your biggest strength or weakness. Good planning ensures that your home provinces are almost never invaded while your army conquers in the east.
      SOUTH USA has really worked out well so far.
      Pro tip: 1. Have a powerful ally in Europe to make it easier.
      2. Build propaganda offices in overseas cities you conquer as they are faaar away from your capital.
      It will ensure morale doesn't fall

Alternatives like the UK, Canada, and the Russian empire are the best countries to start with for classical 22-player map.
    • Uhh first to clarify, I am not a recruit and already a level 90+ player

Second, Canada and Russian Empire have very big provinces, so I won't like to use them as troops transport takes time.

Third, for Southern USA. Bad nation, really. Played it twice, and if there is a strong player or a coalition in Europe, you can never settle down there unless it is really lucky.

Fourth, For Sweden and Turkey: the frontier is easy to get capitulated by Finland or Germany. The latter can get killed quickly by Romania or even Communist Russia or Ukraine.

Fifth, industries are only suitable for building after your army is developed. Or else players will just rush and kill you and your troops, scattered, won't be able to have a chance.

Last, I would suggest Germany, Spain or Morocco. For Germany, best country. All you need to do is by using your Axis doc. advantage, to overpower France quickly and possibly just spam militia/early inf. for protection on the east. If you are skilled than two front wars are possible, Germany has a strategic position and it can advance either east, south, north, or west. Suitable for basically everyone. For Spain, you can partner with Morocco at the start of the game and kill France to advance northeast. But, there is still a coastal disadvantage unless you are very active; as the US players might attempt to land. Naval development is suitable especially submarines. For Morocco, best country for development in Africa as there is only one way to develop and best suited for partnering to play with Spain. With a quick speed, the Balkans can be reached by day 10 or even less. Disadvantage is also naval coastline and stuff like that. Best to take your capitol to somewhere inland after conquering Algeria.

If you read it up to here, good luck on your adventure :) :) :) :)
    • MAT THE THIRD wrote:

Uhh first to clarify, I am not a recruit and already a level 90+ player

Second, Canada and Russian Empire have very big provinces, so I won't like to use them as troops transport takes time.

Third, for Southern USA. Bad nation, really. Played it twice, and if there is a strong player or a coalition in Europe, you can never settle down there unless it is really lucky.

Fourth, For Sweden and Turkey: the frontier is easy to get capitulated by Finland or Germany. The latter can get killed quickly by Romania or even Communist Russia or Ukraine.

Fifth, industries are only suitable for building after your army is developed. Or else players will just rush and kill you and your troops, scattered, won't be able to have a chance.

Last, I would suggest Germany, Spain or Morocco. For Germany, best country. All you need to do is by using your Axis doc. advantage, to overpower France quickly and possibly just spam militia/early inf. for protection on the east. If you are skilled than two front wars are possible, Germany has a strategic position and it can advance either east, south, north, or west. Suitable for basically everyone. For Spain, you can partner with Morocco at the start of the game and kill France to advance northeast. But, there is still a coastal disadvantage unless you are very active; as the US players might attempt to land. Naval development is suitable especially submarines. For Morocco, best country for development in Africa as there is only one way to develop and best suited for partnering to play with Spain. With a quick speed, the Balkans can be reached by day 10 or even less. Disadvantage is also naval coastline and stuff like that. Best to take your capitol to somewhere inland after conquering Algeria.

If you read it up to here, good luck on your adventure :) :) :) :)
      Just wanted to inform you that you are a recruit on the forum. (Your game rank has nothing to do with your forum rank)
      Noob

The post was edited 1 time, last by Emperor Im ().

• honestly, unless its a competitve match, you cant go wrong with any country. most players will go inactive anyways. ive played all of them and won on all of them (a lot were coaltiion win though)

for safety, morocco is good, libya is also decent if you want axis. dont like egypt because its split by water and people can team up on you early on, making it hard to defend. russia empire provinces are way too big, it will take a long time to move stuff around. same with north america. sweden is good pick but you will lose if germany makes a europe coalition and decides to invade you. they can expand faster than you given equal skill level.

about the spain-morocco thing- an alliance is tricky because the other person might just go inactive. if this happens someone else can invade the country and go for you

for rapid expansion in early game- germany, france, poland, romania, italy... anything in central europe is viable. keep in mind they all have their own weaknesses, ex. italy can be bombarded by battleships along the entire peninsula. however, i dont suggest going for ai early game, contrary to what other people will tell you. for this reason, i dont like germany. too much work to get all those ai's and when 2 players go for the same ai it can create conflict. instead go for a real player whos not expecting it. low level player if possible.

one exception- uk. island country makes it unique, you can go for a naval+aircraft coastal invasion of france or germany and start building up cities to produce ground troops on the mainland. some people say to "turtle" on this country; dont do that, you'll lose to the mid game coalition

overall though, it doesnt really matter. just pick a country who's position you like and who's doctrine you like. please just avoid russia and usa