Love the smarter AI BUT....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Love the smarter AI BUT....

Enjoy fighting an AI that is not completely idiotic, so Kudos for that, but, did someone change how AI aggro works?

As with most games at the start I gave RoW to the AI countries, traded frequently, avoided massing troops near AI unless/until i was invading that AI. Always set embargo before declaring war and only after both, moving troops into the territory.
      So, got attacked in early game so no war dec needed early, all the way to late game with only 2 or 3 wardec (forget which came first, the 3rd wardec or the AI dogpile)

In past games on that particular map with the above actions I would have expected on average 2 or 3 AI wardecs before game end. But my last game, the first game i played where the "new inproved AI" was active, went not according to my expectations.

Either just after or at the same time as my 3rd wardec, 5 AIs declared on me at once. Managed to kill off three of the weaker ones fairly quickly while playing a defensive/stall game with the other 3, Just as i was about to be down to "just" those three, 5 more AI declared on me. Now i have 8... yes 8. The ONLY reason i survived was i was in a confined area and the 8 all had access to me across a rather limited front. After losing about 30% of my total troop strength I was finally able to start a slow advance and start pushing them back. My coalition members could not help, one guy said he had 7 ai on him another 6 ai and another just said "well i am %$^%^%^, and quit. So after much struggle manged to get down to 4 AI left, AND 2 more declared. Fought off 2 of them that were fighting both me and 2 of my allies, now down to 4 and about 1/2 my original troop strength. (mind you production and recruitment centers are all maxed by this time, and i was keeping troops building in almost all cities the whole time.) AND 4 more declared on me, and the ONLY reason i survived this time, those 4 declared 1 hour before the game ended and never had time to attack me.

So, was this game just an aberration? IT was one of the larger maps and a rather high proportion of "quitters" during this game. But even so, the AI behavior seemed excessive. Or are other players seeing an unusually high amount of aggression from AI countries?
    • AI Aggro levels were not changed in recent updates. So I assume some other factors or just randomness were at play here. It also depends a bit on which relations the AIs have to other nations and if those nations are allied or at war with you, which means games can play out differently each time. There are also limits depending on how big the nations are you are at war with compared to yourself. If you are at war with a big nation, less AIs will declare war on you. If you are only at war with small nations, more small nations can join in and declare war.

In general AIs are inclined to stop the biggest nation from winning in the late game, just as regular players would do as well.
    • Wow, I see zero intelligence or unpredictability displayed by the AI, at any time..?!

Just sic a learning AI at the problem, no?
      It requires no programming, and could probably beat any Player in the game...
      You would have to dumb it down, or restrict it in some fashion.

At Freezy:
      Have you played Call of War...? "Regular Players" do not, ever band together to attack the largest player, or coalition. This theory has been dis-proven, since the days of RISK!, else a game would never end... It's more like trying to herd a pack feral cats...

The post was edited 6 times, last by Crian Carpenter ().

• Crian Carpenter wrote:

Wow, I see zero intelligence or unpredictability displayed by the AI, at any time..?!

Just sic a learning AI at the problem, no?
      It requires no programming, and could probably beat any Player in the game...
      You would have to dumb it down, or restrict it in some fashion.

At Freezy:
      Have you played Call of War...? "Regular Players" do not, ever band together to attack the largest player, or coalition. This theory has been dis-proven, since the days of RISK!, else a game would never end... It's more like trying to herd a pack feral cats...
      They do. Players will try and stop the people in first and usually there is a big fight between the biggest 2 powers on the map (usually two coalitions).