Questions from a new player

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Questions from a new player

Yo!

Some quick questions from someone who is new to the game:

- Can naval units be used to conquer provinces, or are their sole purpose to fight other naval units? I built a submarine, which I can't even attack coastal cities with. I guess I can only use it for recconnasaince and protecting other naval units?

- How do VP and stars work? I have conquered several provinces, but in the newpaper/overall I still stand with 50 stars, while other nations get more as they conquer provinces. I even conquered some of the "star"-provinces yesterday, and still havn't gotten any stars.

- How do I increase the morale in an conquered area withouth using gold?

And: Can someone link me to a good "beginners tips" forum page or whatever? Where I can see basic tips etc. for starting players - it is a lot to comprehend, especially for someone who hasn't played games like this before.

Thanks in advance! :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Cadett Max ().

• - Can naval units be used to conquer provinces => no, only land units can (or they can rebel and join another country if moral is low enough)
      - How do VP and stars work? I even conquered some of the "star"-provinces yesterday, and still havn't gotten any stars. => are only counted at server reset every day
      - How do I increase the morale in an conquered area withouth using gold? => see manual.... or believe me that building forts does help (read the discription with the buildings) ... and it grows by itself if morale influences are more positive then negative.
      - Can someone link me to a good "beginners tips" forum page or whatever? => start with manual and finishing the tutorial. Secondly look on the forum. There is a bunch of attempts to alternative manuals mentioned in threads or having links.

There is an awful lot to learn indeed.

For starters: Just make sure you manage your resources timely, before problems become big, by developing your economy/industry. DO NOT build on provinces that do not yield any resources (except maybe a road or harbour for convenience later on, when you have plenty or forts for defence of strategic province). That is complete waste of resource as there is nothing produced there except tax, thus no production increase can be achieved with buildings.
      Further, morale influences production and income, so manage your morale issues too.

If you get these parts right (production & morale), you will soon be better than 90% of the player base ;)

After all, without a strong economy and industry, no country can sustain a prolonged war...
    • Cadett Max wrote:

- Can naval units be used to conquer provinces, or are their sole purpose to fight other naval units? I built a submarine, which I can't even attack coastal cities with. I guess I can only use it for recconnasaince and protecting other naval units?
      Submarines can not bombard coastal cities: destroyers, cruisers, and battleships can.

Cadett Max wrote:

- How do VP and stars work? I have conquered several provinces, but in the newpaper/overall I still stand with 50 stars, while other nations get more as they conquer provinces. I even conquered some of the "star"-provinces yesterday, and still havn't gotten any stars.
      Every day, victory points are updated: say I conquered Moscow four hours before the day change: at the day change (which is around 6 PM EST), my points will go from (say I have 76 points already) 76 to 81, depending on which map I am playing on.

Cadett Max wrote:

- How do I increase the morale in an conquered area withouth using gold?
      You can build fortifications, increase production of food/oil, and decrease the time it takes for units to travel from that province to your capital city by either building air bases or moving your capital to a more centralised province.

Cadett Max wrote:

And: Can someone link me to a good "beginners tips" forum page or whatever? Where I can see basic tips etc. for starting players - it is a lot to comprehend, especially for someone who hasn't played games like this before.
      Yes: docs.google.com/document/d/1Bs…G2I8HqoaMI8PeTMOgWBU/edit
      It's been a while
    • Cadett Max wrote:

How do I increase the morale in an conquered area withouth using gold?
      1. There's one important aspect of morale. The more players you're in war with, the lower your morale gets. Always watch your enemies in your player info screen, try to keep them under 3, as a rule of thumb.

If you can, fully defeat all AI countries before you move to your next target.

Sometimes, that's not possible, as one country has some island far away, and it's really not practical to take that. In this case, go to the Diplomatic screen and change your relation with that country to peace - usually the AI player also changes the relation in a day or two, so you eliminate one enemy that lowers morale.

The other side of this: when you play on a large map, with enough players, and you want somebody taken out, just ask as many players as possible to declare war to that player - even if they don't actually attack him. Having 10+ enemies is pretty bad for one's morale.

2. A good way to increase your morale in all your provinces is to conquer a capital. You can plan the offensive in a country to take the capital in the last step, this way all the new provinces will be bumped to 35 morale.
    • Thanks for all the help! :)

And a follow-up question;
      Me and an "ally" decided to share a country that lay between us. We agreed that the country should be demilitarized. But suddenly tonight, while he claimed his last agreed provinces, two of my provinces in that area went under his rule!
      In the papers there stood nothing about him declaring war with me, and he even asked me if I had given the provinces to him.

Is this because the moral was low so they jumped over to him? Or is it something he has done?
      I means, like put spies or used som terrorist[removed] with gold to make them have a riot? haha :P The tensions are rising between our states, so it is an important matter to clarify...

The post was edited 3 times, last by Field Marshal Dan: removed profanity ().

• At day change every province you control with morale below 30% has a chance to rebel against you. Newly conquered provinces have a morale of 25%.

You can lower the chance a province will rebel by stationing troops in the low morale provinces. If you click on the info button (an I near morale listing) it will tell you the percent chance the province has of a rebellion happening.

If the country you and your friend conquered had more than a handful of provinces it would be unlikely that there would be no rebellions at all.
    • Cadett Max wrote:

Thanks for all the help! :)

And a follow-up question;
      Me and an "ally" decided to share a country that lay between us. We agreed that the country should be demilitarized. But suddenly tonight, while he claimed his last agreed provinces, two of my provinces in that area went under his rule!
      In the papers there stood nothing about him declaring war with me, and he even asked me if I had given the provinces to him.

Is this because the moral was low so they jumped over to him? Or is it something he has done?
      I means, like put spies or used som terroristshit with gold to make them have a riot? haha :P The tensions are rising between our states, so it is an important matter to clarify...
      I had something like this a few months ago, someone did not understand how rebellions worked and he declared war on me, thinking I captured them.

Don't worry, like @xswazse12 said above, any province below 30% morale can rebel.
      It's been a while
    • ofc, a less trustworthy ally can put spies to undermine morale, but the undermining of moral is just 1 outcome possible of putting that type of spy there. check newspaper for other spy actions to be sure. but... most likely they just rebelled

The post was edited 1 time, last by _Pontus_ ().