Reinforcements cannot join defense

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Reinforcements cannot join defense

I'm confused to as why this no longer works.

What is happening is that a city is under attack (direct attack) and my army is defending (not attacking) against the attacking army.

Part of the army was delayed and arrives later. It was ordered to the city before the battle begun, but couldn't make it in time.

When it arrives, it starts attacking the attacker instead of joining the defender. Which is quite unfortunate as the reinforcement is of a defensive kind. I did not order an attack.

I know I have previously been able to reinforce the defenders, but now I can't make it work. Has something changed? Or is there a special reason why this is happening?
    • The troops aren't always merging, there's an X-factor involved.
      Next there's also an exploit. If your enemy is setting his march further than your city, in the direction from where your reinforcement is coming then your troops can't merge. Instead they will start attacking the enemy.
      Reinforcing a province of city with defensive troops always poses a risk. You can never be sure that the reinforcements will be able to merge with your defenders.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • It all depends on the ranges of the armies to each other.

All units in the game have a close combat range of 5km, but also a merge range some km. This can also be manually triggered by giving the attack/move command in the right moment. If not, then units do it automatically but not always with the maximum ranges that would be possible.

When an enemy attacks your city from one direction, the combat starts when he is some km out of the city into that direction. When your reinforcement comes from the other direction, it is likely that it can "jump" into the city before getting into close combat range of the enemy army. In that case they will merge.

But if your army is arriving from a different angle it can be that your army and the enemy army get into combat range before your army is able to jump into the city. In that case your army will attack and not merge.

So yeah basically keep an eye on the direction from which reinforcements arrive and try to trigger the "jump" into the city by giving another move command when the unit is already very close to the city.
    • NoobNoobTrain wrote:

Well, none of you commented on the exploit...
      Depends on what your calling a exploit and what is game mechcanic's.

To get your units to merge as defenders, don't arrive as the enemy counter is about to attack and do as freezy said.

freezy wrote:

When an enemy attacks your city from one direction, the combat starts when he is some km out of the city into that direction. When your reinforcement comes from the other direction, it is likely that it can "jump" into the city before getting into close combat range of the enemy army. In that case they will merge.

But if your army is arriving from a different angle it can be that your army and the enemy army get into combat range before your army is able to jump into the city. In that case your army will attack and not merge.

So yeah basically keep an eye on the direction from which reinforcements arrive and try to trigger the "jump" into the city by giving another move command when the unit is already very close to the city.
      do a move command within 5km to jump into the city.
    • NoobNoobTrain wrote:

MadMike69 wrote:

NoobNoobTrain wrote:

Well, none of you commented on the exploit...
      Depends on what your calling a exploit and what is game mechcanic's.
      The part that prevents your units from joining the defense because the enemy -already engaged in battle - has set a move path beyond the point of battle. This should not block incoming forces IMO.
      Yea I agree. The "don't get in range" makes sense but the "march being set further" is weird.