Bytro and Americans Culture Clash

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bytro and Americans Culture Clash

Vigor did such a great job showing the obvious culture clashes between the American Culture and the German based Bytro that i decided to repost it. Especially since they closed the thread they originally posted it on. Maybe it hit too clse to teh bone and kernel of truth.
    Vigor555

Corporal
    Likes Received13Points36Posts23
    6 hours ago+2
    New
    First of all, I like the game and want what is best for players and developers.

Developers: However, the thing that upsets me far more than the outage, or lost units is the way Moderators and Developers have handled this issue.

Before I explain that I will address some insults to americans. I think what we have here is a culture clash. What Europeans see as us being harsh or angry is actually us being honest and direct. Honesty and directness gets things done. It is a cultural difference for sure. It probably comes from Americans also being more religious where honesty is supreme and our spiritual ancestors got things done.

In America, the citizen is the boss, that is the way it was planned. The consumer is the boss, because that is the way it works out. I have a business. That means I have 90 bosses. The developers here have a business. They have a lot more bosses than I do. If you want so many american bosses you become rich and affluent, or just have the means to make more computer games, you're going to need to provide answers, you are going to need to be more direct, you are going to need to be more honest.

We were told for many hours that the server would be back up soon. Here in america we would call that lies.

We were repeatedly placated, pacified or ignored. We were given excuses rather than answers. This is why you are losing customers(bosses). All of us know technical problems happen. What we need is the bottom line. I'm not sure that idiom will translate well so I'll say it again in other words. We need you to be honest and direct with us so that we can make decisions and proceed with our life. Instead what we got was an attempt to stonewall and buy time. Those are idioms too I suppose. Stonewalling is to ignore someone by giving evasive answers. Its avoiding the questions. Honest questions. Questions which should be simply answered. Stonewalling is an attempt to buy time, to avoid accepting your mistake long enough to avoid consequences. Such things are generally unnecessary amongst typical americans. The opposite would be to own up to it. I suppose that is an idiom too. It means that you just simply state the mistake you made. In this case, with the server outage, it may not be a mistake, it may be an event outside your control. It doesn't matter really. What matters is that the problem is being resolved. The server outage was not the only problem. "What should we do during the downtime" was also a problem. In my case I was losing sleep believing the lies I was being told. (it will be up soon)

We're not idiots. We're understanding. We are forgiving, but forgiveness requires repentance. If you tell us the truth nearly all of the problems are immediately resolved. Peace is restored. That only leaves the mechanical problems to deal with. As it is, I suspect the mechanical problems are small compared to the interpersonal ones.

Here's what should have happened. First, we should have been given the best explanation possible for what has happened. The explanation might have been over some people's heads. Thats an idiom meaning they might not be capable of understanding the explanation. But strangely enough, they probably would have been satisfied with an answer they couldn't understand. Anyways, at this point, probably most americans would have just gone to bed, woke up the next day and dealt with whatever inconveniences they face. Since that didn't happen, we stay awake, likely getting upset because we're being lied to and ignored, and because we stay up and get upset it creates more problems the next day. Our problems become compounded because you didn't simply own up to it. Second, you should have explained to us how this won't happen again. I.e. as some pointed out earlier, the game needs to stop running if the game stops running. The fact that it doesn't is amazing to me. This is a pretty bad, pretty foreseeable, design flaw. If this design flaw is fixed, no one will be worrying about what is happening to their units. No one would be losing anything. There would be no need for "compensation". Other measures might need to be taken. It was said that this has something to do with a 3rd party service. Either they repent of their mistake and fix things or you need a new service provider. Its simple. Its discrete. That is all you needed to do. No compensation, no angry customers, no ongoing hassle. Such business tactics work on non-americans too. I live in a college town. I have customers from all over the world and they love the prototypical honest American business model. Bad things happen. No one ever gets mad at me even when its my fault.

Then there is the other problem. And I am afraid this might be just a German cultural thing. Your moderators are what we would call "control freaks", they are heavy handed. Not just on the forum but in general chat too. I'm guessing its not their fault, they are just following orders. That isn't how things work in America. You are dealing with another culture clash. Here we say what we want (for the most part) and everyone else deals with it. If people say things we don't like, we deal with it. Sometimes dealing with it means confronting them. But that isn't a big deal either. The truth generally wins and ends the discussion. Peace is restored. We're better off afterwards. If this were an American game there probably wouldn't be many chat rules and most of them wouldn't need enforced by moderators. Cuss words would be automatically blotted out, possibly with temporary bans until the offender can be talked to. Why is there a need for so many rules? There is no need to tell people to stay on topic. If you want an informative thread letting us know status updates on the server being down start a different thread, make it sticky, redirect people to it and don't let anyone comment on it. We can comment here. In the mean time we can talk about whatever and keep from being bored. if a new person comes on and doesn't know the server status, commenters will redirect them to the server status thread. Its so simple. It requires so little control.

The bottom line is, if you want to catch a fish you have to set the right bait. You need to make up your mind if you want american customers or not. I think you're driving my fellow Americans away as it is and probably others as well. I'm pretty sure if you adopted our culture you would all be happier. Unfortunately it seems many of my fellow Americans have been adopting yours.

This has not been an attempt to insult anyone. It is an attempt to solve problems.

To players: How often does compensation work? Unless something can be simply fixed what good is compensation? It seems to me that compensation normally breeds all sorts of other problems. Several people have commented on this thread about how one form of compensation or another would actually create an additional problem(generally for them personally). It happens in real life that way too whether you see it or not. Then I also see people making demands that xxx or yyy form of compensation would be sufficient for them. You have a purchase price? As I'm reading these demands I'm thinking, "you haven't thought this through" because all of these attempts to straighten things out will only make them differently crooked. Wanting is a simple thing. We often want things that aren't good for us. What is good for us is usually more complex. But in this case its simple. If the developers are willing to fix their problems we just forgive them. Isn't that what all of us want most? (the problems being fixed) Isn't the most important thing that the problems don't happen again? Would we rather just keep getting compensated arbitrarily? :thumbup: :thumbup:
    If it is possible; It is already done. If it's impossible it just takes a while longer. :tumbleweed:
  • This needed to be said and I agree 100% Europe has devolved into glass people. If a mean word is said or someone hits a little too close to home (an idiom meaning someone gets to close to the truth) they get upset and offended. I think America needs to give em a great big does of reality before they put their heads further up their ass.
  • ShadowHawk5 wrote:

This needed to be said and I agree 100% Europe has devolved into glass people. If a mean word is said or someone hits a little too close to home (an idiom meaning someone gets to close to the truth) they get upset and offended. I think America needs to give em a great big does of reality before they put their heads further up their ass.
    Well, the United States (and I'm American) is not completely out of the loop. This is the fallacy of free speech: more and more liberal colleges, in the USA, for example, are trying to 'protect' their students from having hurt feelings. But free speech implies that one can say whatever he/she wants without consequence... that doesn't sound like free speech to me.

It is a fallacy and hypocrisy at the highest level, and is one of the biggest hidden crises that the Free World needs to address for such a community and culture to work effectively.

Keep in mind I am only thirteen years old, so I am not fully aware of a business model that Bytro uses or even how to run a business completely (even though I did successfully oversee a business last year as Student Council Vice President that made enough money for our school to pay for an event in both February and May), so my opinion may be out of whack a little.
    It's been a while
  • I agree fully I think the problem is people are being told to rely on others more them themselves. People no longer understand the difference between hate speech and someone being a jerk. Racist now means saying anything that might be considered offensive to a particular group of people. Homophobia now means someone who does not support gay people 100%. I don't agree that Churches should be forced to perform gay marriage ceremonies yet someone called me a homophobe because of that. People are losing touch with reality and Colleges are only aiding it
  • As an American, I really do not agree with much of what you said.

To claim, at all, to be misinformed, when we were straight forward telling you that we simply did not know, shows the danger in the amount of spam posts that were added to what was an informational thread. This is why the moderation team works very hard in the removal of such spam posts, whether or not players see it as fair. You are right in that I should have put more information in my own downtime post Saturday night into Sunday morning. Though I answered questions as best as I could, I should have also edited the main announcement to contain more information. I will admit that much; I should have realized much sooner the lack of information in the main body of my announcement for the downtime.

As far as staff being too "heavy handed:" Staff, both us volunteers and the paid Bytro staff, have the community's best interest in mind. Not each individual player, but the community as a whole. What one player thinks is funny very well can insult another. You must understand, as I do as an American, that Freedom of Speech (along with the rest of the Bill of rights) are there only to protect you from the government, not businesses you may work for, with, or are a patron thereof.

Furthermore, Bytro is a German company, which must follow German laws. What you think may be heavy handed moderation in chats or forum may very well be us reacting to players posting things that are illegal in Germany. Failure to comply can result in fines and other legal penalties against the company. Outside of this, we must, again, look out for the best interest of the Community as a whole.
    Free Time looks good on me
  • Oso Major wrote:

As an American, I really do not agree with much of what you said.

To claim, at all, to be misinformed, when we were straight forward telling you that we simply did not know, shows the danger in the amount of spam posts that were added to what was an informational thread. This is why the moderation team works very hard in the removal of such spam posts, whether or not players see it as fair. You are right in that I should have put more information in my own downtime post Saturday night into Sunday morning. Though I answered questions as best as I could, I should have also edited the main announcement to contain more information. I will admit that much; I should have realized much sooner the lack of information in the main body of my announcement for the downtime.

As far as staff being too "heavy handed:" Staff, both us volunteers and the paid Bytro staff, have the community's best interest in mind. Not each individual player, but the community as a whole. What one player thinks is funny very well can insult another. You must understand, as I do as an American, that Freedom of Speech (along with the rest of the Bill of rights) are there only to protect you from the government, not businesses you may work for, with, or are a patron thereof.

Furthermore, Bytro is a German company, which must follow German laws. What you think may be heavy handed moderation in chats or forum may very well be us reacting to players posting things that are illegal in Germany. Failure to comply can result in fines and other legal penalties against the company. Outside of this, we must, again, look out for the best interest of the Community as a whole.
    Thank you for clearing this up.
    It's been a while
  • Methinks that the culture clash is more based upon what both sides of the ocean define as freedom of speech.

ShadowHawk5 wrote:

Europe has devolved into glass people

In Europe freedom of speech does not exclude civil conversation. Also in civil conversation everything can be said w/o consequences, but w/o resorting to being rude; hence it being civil. Therefore, it seems more of a clash of civilization (not civilizations).

Being rude, does not facilitate communication in general, whether being rude is common in one's country or not.
    Being rude might be considered as being direct by one, but it will nonetheless be considered as uncivilized by many others.
    Simple examples of this are found in the widespread use of 'WTF" as a common US-American expression; or the ease of the use of the 'F' word in general by US-Americans. To most Europeans, this is offending, while to most US-Americans it is 'common English'.

My personal take on this is, that if my counterpart in a conversation is being rude, this counterpart (at least partly) disqualifies himself from a meaningful further exchange.
    If this is considered 'being glass people' by (even if it should be the majority of) 200 million US-Americans, they might just want to take into account that the majority of 550 million Europeans, and 100's of millions of non-US Americans, billions of Asians etc. (aka almost all of the rest of the world) consider the US-American approach simply as rude, with all the consequences thereof.

Besides that, my experiences with the US-American friends I have, is that they also detest the deterioration of the quality of their language in common use. I am seldom confronted with the rudeness I have seen here, in the interaction with my US-American friends and business partners ... but maybe simply because they are all past their teens?
  • What most Americans don't understand is that we are the ONLY country in the world with a 1st Amendment. Even Canada doesn't have one. Europe is rife with 'hate speech' laws, and one can go to jail simply for teaching what the Bible says. Again, in Canada as well.

I am saddened that the youth of this country are no longer taught about their rights, because we're becoming just like the continent our Founders were trying to escape.
  • Probably freedom of speech and expression is so embedded in the law from the beginning 'chez nous', that we didn't need a 'first amendment' (first change) to put in there...

[ref: An amendment is a formal or official change made to a law, contract, constitution, or other legal document. It is based on the verb to amend.]

Just joking ofc...

But, another misfortunate assumption from your side is, that the USA would be the only country with freedom of speech in the constitution...

Concerning the 'hate speech laws': these had to be made, because some misguided individuals take 'freedom of speech' as freedom to say anything in any wording they like, which simply is inconsiderate at the least and just plainly insulting in many cases. Freedom of speech is not the same as 'freedom to insult', 'freedom to incite hatred', 'freedom to slander' or i.e. 'freedom to discriminate'. This is actually where civilization comes into play again.

The post was edited 1 time, last by _Pontus_ ().

• Thug,

Concerning your very well phrased insult:

VapeThug wrote:

you are ignorant not only of American history, but also the definition of words

If you are referring to:

_Pontus_ wrote:

[ref: An amendment is a formal or official change made to a law, contract, constitution, or other legal document. It is based on the verb to amend.]
    ... I wish to state here that the latter quote is an official definition of the word 'amendment'.

Are you thus telling me that I am too stupid to read what is written there ? :D

Let me thus rephrase your own words:

You are ignor...

No wait! You almost provoked me into doing that. But ... I will not stoop that low and go into personal insults.
    Besides, Í do not need that, since I do not get cornered that easily because of saying 'less smart' things.

I know very well what I wrote and why and what the factual content of it is. Now ... do you?

Further, I really do think you are displaying very rude and uncivilized behaviour in your last post. Or was your post once again an example of misunderstood direct communication?

The post was edited 2 times, last by _Pontus_ ().

• You haven't seen rude, kiddo. Tell ya what; just don't pontificate about American laws or culture. That will save you the trouble of banning me for showing just what 'rude and uncivilized' really means.

The Bill Of Rights is part and parcel of the Constitution. It is every bit as applicable as the preamble and the rest of it. Treating it as some sort of separate part that can be ignored or done away with is ignorant. Frame that how you will, but you spouted off about things you just don't grasp.

And I called you on it. Get over yourself, skippy. You're not nearly as smart as you think you are.