Music - Judgement and Feedback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Music - Judgement and Feedback

Hello! I hope all your days are going well. This is very off topic for a forum that mainly revolves around war and this game, Call of War. But I love to make music, and I have made two short recordings, and I am asking for feedback. Both recordings are safe (if you are not comfortable clicking on them, that's fine) and they are Vocaroo links.

1. Song number 1 - vocal test

2. Song number two - vocal test with acoustic

--**NOTE that these are scratch recordings too

I would appreciate all feedback!
      Jonathan
    • Thanks! For the acoustic version, I sang more like a "chorus" which I think made my vocals sound richer. For the first version, I used the instruments to add in for backing support while vocals were the main melody. However, for the first one, I'll use a more "chorus-type" approach.

Thanks for your feedback! Anyone else have any?
      Jonathan
    • I was only able to listen to the music now, and it sounds good! It's just a little too upbeat. This is a war game, so the music should give you a slight sense of dread, as war is a pretty sad thing, definitely not a happy thing. The current war music demonstrates that pretty well I think.
      Kind regards,
      Donk
      Bytro game addict and avid CoW player.

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• _Jonathan wrote:

Hello! I hope all your days are going well. This is very off topic for a forum that mainly revolves around war and this game, Call of War. But I love to make music, and I have made two short recordings, and I am asking for feedback. Both recordings are safe (if you are not comfortable clicking on them, that's fine) and they are Vocaroo links.

Jonathan
      Are there going to be more of these? I found myself coming back here several times to listen to these recordings again. (they are quite good ngl)
      Kind regards,
      Donk

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• Donk2.0 wrote:

_Jonathan wrote:

Jonathan
      Are there going to be more of these? I found myself coming back here several times to listen to these recordings again. (they are quite good ngl)
      Hey! That message made my day! I'm working on them, but I have a lot of small recordings I can send (they have no vocals though) but I have one metal recording that I can send. I think I'll record vocals tomorrow!

Jonathan
    • _Jonathan wrote:

Donk2.0 wrote:

_Jonathan wrote:

Jonathan
      Hey! That message made my day! I'm working on them, but I have a lot of small recordings I can send (they have no vocals though) but I have one metal recording that I can send. I think I'll record vocals tomorrow!
      Jonathan
      Nice! Looking forward to hearing those.
      Kind regards,
      Donk

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• _Jonathan wrote:

Metal test — here is something I'm working on, but I'm working on other songs as well.

Metalvcoals - here is me attempting metal vocals hhaha
      Woah, that's some heavy metal. It sounds really cool! But how did you make your voice like that???
      Kind regards,
      Donk

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• Thanks! Close your throat. Closing your throat and then pushing air through it sounds like you're crushing something. People named this "fry voice," and I was practicing a "fry scream," which is not a real scream. It only sounds real because of the "crushing" noise that you hear. It's important to practice it safely because you still can hurt your vocal chords. I'm glad you liked it though!

Have an outstanding day,
      Jonathan
    • _Jonathan wrote:

Thanks! Close your throat. Closing your throat and then pushing air through it sounds like you're crushing something. People named this "fry voice," and I was practicing a "fry scream," which is not a real scream. It only sounds real because of the "crushing" noise that you hear. It's important to practice it safely because you still can hurt your vocal chords. I'm glad you liked it though!

Have an outstanding day,
      Jonathan
      Crushing your vocal cords? I never knew music was so dangerous, but the end effect is so cool. How do you do that?
      Kind regards,
      Donk

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• How do you do what?

If I am correct, and you want to know how to fry scream, here are the quick steps:

1. Vocals warm-ups
      • Reach to your toes and then come back up slowly. Move your shoulders, neck, head, and back around to release tension. Try to massage your face so your face is not tense when you sing. Then, you can go to an online piano and play a note and then try to match that note! I recommend using a tuner. For a quick and easy tuner, go to flutetunes.com/tuner/ and keep the frequency of A4 at 440 (as in, don't change it haha).
        • Use the tuner and sing in a note you're comfortable with (the tuner will tell you what note it is!)
        • Use that note on your piano and then go up my one note (or a "half step",) and be sure to be relaxed. I recommend go up 12 notes or one "octave."
        • After going up those 12 notes, repeat the same octave but with "lip trills." How to make lip trills?
          • Have you heard of those things where someone blows on someone's stomach to tickle them? Do that same thing but go up on notes (do the same notes!)
        • After doing that, we'll do one more workout for your vocal chords. Go on the internet and type in "metronome" and use whatever metronome you get. Set the tempo or BPM (beats per minute) to 100. Then, say the word "minimum" while going up your same octave. Then, turn it up to 125 BPM, repeating the same 12 notes. Finally, turn it up to 175 and repeat the same octave with again, saying the word "minimum." What does this do? This helps with pronunciation!
        • You finished warm-ups!
      2. Moving onto fry scream. You will want to watch a video, but here are the steps I use if you can make any sense of them:
      1. Close your throat — how to do?
        1. Sounds silly, but imagine you are taking a dump and now think about the sound you would make (again, it's terrible but that's how resources taught me haha).
      2. With this, try to push a note through it — it should sound very weird to you.
      3. While pushing that note through, try to layer it with a long sounding sigh or try to imitate a dog's growl (I'm not good at teaching people haha).
      4. When imitating a dog's growl, try to use that noise and remove air from it while pronouncing things (that's fry).
      5. For fry scream, I usually add more force to this same thing.
      Again, I'm not good at teaching it so watch a video on warm-ups and metal vocals! Be safe and have a great day!!!!

Jonathan
    • _Jonathan wrote:

How do you do what?

If I am correct, and you want to know how to fry scream, here are the quick steps:

1. Vocals warm-ups
      • Reach to your toes and then come back up slowly. Move your shoulders, neck, head, and back around to release tension. Try to massage your face so your face is not tense when you sing. Then, you can go to an online piano and play a note and then try to match that note! I recommend using a tuner. For a quick and easy tuner, go to flutetunes.com/tuner/ and keep the frequency of A4 at 440 (as in, don't change it haha).
        • Use the tuner and sing in a note you're comfortable with (the tuner will tell you what note it is!)
        • Use that note on your piano and then go up my one note (or a "half step",) and be sure to be relaxed. I recommend go up 12 notes or one "octave."
        • After going up those 12 notes, repeat the same octave but with "lip trills." How to make lip trills?
          • Have you heard of those things where someone blows on someone's stomach to tickle them? Do that same thing but go up on notes (do the same notes!)
        • After doing that, we'll do one more workout for your vocal chords. Go on the internet and type in "metronome" and use whatever metronome you get. Set the tempo or BPM (beats per minute) to 100. Then, say the word "minimum" while going up your same octave. Then, turn it up to 125 BPM, repeating the same 12 notes. Finally, turn it up to 175 and repeat the same octave with again, saying the word "minimum." What does this do? This helps with pronunciation!
        • You finished warm-ups!
      2. Moving onto fry scream. You will want to watch a video, but here are the steps I use if you can make any sense of them:
      1. Close your throat — how to do?
        1. Sounds silly, but imagine you are taking a dump and now think about the sound you would make (again, it's terrible but that's how resources taught me haha).
      2. With this, try to push a note through it — it should sound very weird to you.
      3. While pushing that note through, try to layer it with a long sounding sigh or try to imitate a dog's growl (I'm not good at teaching people haha).
      4. When imitating a dog's growl, try to use that noise and remove air from it while pronouncing things (that's fry).
      5. For fry scream, I usually add more force to this same thing.
      Again, I'm not good at teaching it so watch a video on warm-ups and metal vocals! Be safe and have a great day!!!!

Jonathan
      Wow, that's a lot more complicated than I thought it would be. I played the drums in middle school, and I got quite good at it if I do say so myself, but I was never a singer. Singing just wasn't something that really interested me. Also, what setup do you have? The audio recordings you send are really high quality and sound like they are from a studio. My dad has this electric drum set that I use sometimes, and it sounds like you might use something similar in your recordings.
      Kind regards,
      Donk

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• When you're using MIDI to record songs, the point is to change it so it doesn't SOUND like it (well, when you're not doing synth pop). The samples you're using are straight from the box, right? I'd say, try to fiddle a bit with them, as if they're played by a real person (not straight on the bars), by slightly varying both the timing and the velocity (most DAW's have an option called "humanizing" or "randomizing' for that.
      The composition sounds a bit chaotic, especially the first one... as if the guitar- and piano "player" aren't really on the same page, each freaking out without listening to the other. Try making it more coherent, like filling the holes the other one is leaving
      You need to have much more confidence in your vocals... you seem to follow the instruments (responding to THEIR changes) rather than them supporting you. You need to know where the next note is going and hit it with confidence, not be surprised when it comes around and slide towards it.

Hope it helps! This comes from a guy who made these songs:

When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.