Best countries to start with?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The best country to start with depends on various factors; 1) Location (e.g.- Canada in clash of nations)
      2) Game mode (e.g.- Germany in historical map)
      3) Country's extent, larger the country larger the responsibility (e.g.- Soviet Union)
      4) Doctrine

If you're talking about big games like World at War, it really doesn't matter what country you choose except doctrine and its location. Everyone's same as you, same Victory points same startup resources.
      Rahini Muchahari :danke:
      ^^
    • Lt.Rohini wrote:

If you're talking about big games like World at War, it really doesn't matter what country you choose except doctrine and its location. Everyone's same as you, same Victory points same startup resources.
      On the 100 player world at war map, Yes everyone starts with the same number of cities and units, there are other differences. Some differences are fairly obvious. For the obvious differences, the number of provinces matter. All provinces generate the same amount of manpower and cash, but not all countries start with the same number of provinces. Egypt starts with the most at 32 while the Caribbean starts with only 20. That's a fairly big difference. Another difference is the starting resources at the province level. All start with six resource generating rural provinces, but which resources? If you're selective, you will pick a country with resources that support the units you plan to build. If you want to build bombers and rocket artillery; don't pick a country without rare materials at the province level.

Other differences are subtle, but if they supplement your style of play, you can exploit that. For instance, they all don't start with equal access to AI to harvest. They don't start with the same number of borders with other active players. For instance, if you start as South Argentina your only border with an active player is North Argentina, while they border South Brazil and Bolivia in addition to you.

In a close game, some of these small differences can make or break you.
    • What my friend said above, all of it.

In addition, some countries are more isolated, and both harder to win with, and more likely to survive with in the case of a loss.

For example, New Zealand, far from the main action, very slow to move units across water, huge distance penalties as you expand, but also you're more likely to be ignored at the end of the game if you're losing because nobody wants to spend two or three days conquering a bunch of islands.

Germany is the opposite. Middle of Europe, surrounded by other players, and famously active in the newspaper early on. Guaranteed to be fighting for its life on day 1.
    • I personally hate Australia. When you come out on top of the Aus/NZ battles, or ally with them, you must expand North; and there you meet a field of PanAsians (superior navy) while you are Allied (worst navy in the game). Even if you win that battle, you must hop on and off all the islands there which costs a lot of time on its own. And when you finally make mainland Asia, the morale penalties for the distance to capital really start to bite. The only advantage really is the endless string of pacific islands, each containing one of those juicy capitals... a battleship paired to a militia can reap huge rewards there.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Exactly. Australia, New Zealand, Papua, to a lesser extent Sumatra, Borneo, the Philippines. The farther you are from the mainland, the slower the game.

Best harvesting is with a Pan Asian country like South China, because of the fast ships. If you can afford one or two early battleships, they chew up those AI island capitals very fast!
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

I personally hate Australia. When you come out on top of the Aus/NZ battles, or ally with them, you must expand North; and there you meet a field of PanAsians (superior navy) while you are Allied (worst navy in the game). Even if you win that battle, you must hop on and off all the islands there which costs a lot of time on its own. And when you finally make mainland Asia, the morale penalties for the distance to capital really start to bite. The only advantage really is the endless string of pacific islands, each containing one of those juicy capitals... a battleship paired to a militia can reap huge rewards there.
      That's very practical tips. I'll use them for sure :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bellissima ().

• Keep in mind that there is a current bugs where ships can't see land units that they should be able to see by the rules. Lets hope it is fixed soon.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • In my opinion there can be no straightforward answer to that question, because of the multitude of variable factors affecting each game differently. Germany is a good country to start with, but not if they get ganged up on early in the game. I once saw the Poles take Berlin on the 3rd or fourth turn. You'd think being far from Asian and European war zones the USA would be the best, but I've seen Mexican tanks take Washington D.C. and Canadian troops sun tanning in Florida. Russia's vastness and Britain's island advantage and thinly spread global empire make them too difficult to defeat early, but they are tricky to play. Japan is my favorite but I won't say why. I've even won no gold buying solo victories playing Mexico and South Africa by waiting patiently in the wings while the 'big five' destroy each other. So it really depends on who you play with, how you play your country, and not what country you play.
    • simon wrote:

In my opinion there can be no straightforward answer to that question, because of the multitude of variable factors affecting each game differently. Germany is a good country to start with, but not if they get ganged up on early in the game. I once saw the Poles take Berlin on the 3rd or fourth turn. You'd think being far from Asian and European war zones the USA would be the best, but I've seen Mexican tanks take Washington D.C. and Canadian troops sun tanning in Florida. Russia's vastness and Britain's island advantage and thinly spread global empire make them too difficult to defeat early, but they are tricky to play. Japan is my favorite but I won't say why. I've even won no gold buying solo victories playing Mexico and South Africa by waiting patiently in the wings while the 'big five' destroy each other. So it really depends on who you play with, how you play your country, and not what country you play.
      A lot of this can be attributed to incompetence. I can easily win solo games as Germany all the time, the Polish player must have fought and inactive and/or terrible Germany player to have managed that. It’s inarguable that the major powers are the best in the HWW map, with you needing to be smart and patient to win as the others. There is no best country, but the majors are definitely better. So basically the answer so the question would be a major power, but it depends on the other players.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • Carking the 6th wrote:

simon wrote:

In my opinion there can be no straightforward answer to that question, because of the multitude of variable factors affecting each game differently. Germany is a good country to start with, but not if they get ganged up on early in the game. I once saw the Poles take Berlin on the 3rd or fourth turn. You'd think being far from Asian and European war zones the USA would be the best, but I've seen Mexican tanks take Washington D.C. and Canadian troops sun tanning in Florida. Russia's vastness and Britain's island advantage and thinly spread global empire make them too difficult to defeat early, but they are tricky to play. Japan is my favorite but I won't say why. I've even won no gold buying solo victories playing Mexico and South Africa by waiting patiently in the wings while the 'big five' destroy each other. So it really depends on who you play with, how you play your country, and not what country you play.
      A lot of this can be attributed to incompetence. I can easily win solo games as Germany all the time, the Polish player must have fought and inactive and/or terrible Germany player to have managed that. It’s inarguable that the major powers are the best in the HWW map, with you needing to be smart and patient to win as the others. There is no best country, but the majors are definitely better. So basically the answer so the question would be a major power, but it depends on the other players.
      Trueee, Germany will always defeat Poland (in HWW, since pretty sure this is what you are referring to). All majors are good, USA is arguably the best (Mexico and Canada have no chance unless they both team and get UK, Brazil and/or Japan to help). UK, France and Italy are annoying to play imo, Germany and Soviet are super fun, and Japan and China are bonkers (Pan-Asian go brrrr).

Basically, no best country, just depends on playstyle and such.
      Have an amazing rest of your day ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

Need support? ---> Send a ticket here!

dxter's CoW Battle Calculator ---> Use it here!

:tumbleweed:

o7
    • _Pyth0n_ wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

simon wrote:

Trueee, Germany will always defeat Poland (in HWW, since pretty sure this is what you are referring to). All majors are good, USA is arguably the best (Mexico and Canada have no chance unless they both team and get UK, Brazil and/or Japan to help). UK, France and Italy are annoying to play imo, Germany and Soviet are super fun, and Japan and China are bonkers (Pan-Asian go brrrr).
      Basically, no best country, just depends on playstyle and such.
      You described my exact thoughts on all of them perfectly lol.

• Well obviously huge countries are better but they require time and knowledge. Noobs usually lose as big countries by getting too aggressive or not knowing which parts of their empire are weak spots. But some small nations vary. For example I hate manchukhuo or Venezuela but if you know how to use Comintern and pan Asian then you give yourself solid chances to survive and hence win on occasions. There’s other lien the Netherlands that take time to develop but the potential is there due to the sheer size of their colonial empire
      The Conqueror of Worlds
    • Jchicas the Great wrote:

Well obviously huge countries are better but they require time and knowledge. Noobs usually lose as big countries by getting too aggressive or not knowing which parts of their empire are weak spots. But some small nations vary. For example I hate manchukhuo or Venezuela but if you know how to use Comintern and pan Asian then you give yourself solid chances to survive and hence win on occasions. There’s other lien the Netherlands that take time to develop but the potential is there due to the sheer size of their colonial empire
      It may just be because it was the First Nation I ever played as and one I still like to pick when starting maps where everyone is equal, but I like turkey. As long as you stave off the Brit’s long enough for their fleet to sod off, or get them on your side, you take French Syria after building a decent fleet, can then take over almost all of the Middle East and spread into the balkans, and given enough time can challenge the UK, USSR, and other majors to actually win the map. I’ve even won a solo as Turkey! While using HEAVY TANKS!