Walking Away from Call of War Again

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Walking Away from Call of War Again

Found Call of War about three years ago and thoroughly enjoyed participating in the contests. Won some, lost more but learned new strategic approaches for unit construction and positioning along with different approaches to the game.

But then I noticed a change in other player approaches. Competitors routinely wiped me off the map using significant numbers of forces, far more than producible in the time the game was going on. Reading the DH revealed more and more reliance on Gold for victory rather than strategy. Fed up, I stopped joining contests eighteen months ago.

Came back recently to give the site another try. Players now rely totally on gold for construction of their military and supporting infrastructure. Victory is not achieved from superior strategy, but rather purchased. I am not interested in participating in any contest where your odds of victory are determined by the amount of money you are willing to part with.

Set up a game environment where competitors cannot purchase their wins and I'll be there. But as it stands today, I am not interested.
    • Well I don't have the same experience. I don't use any gold at all. Skill almost always prevails against gold. It is true that now a player can collect 2750 gold a day by watching advertisement videos on the mobile application. This enables a lot of players to play more fluently and to have a bigger chance of survival. Also for the expert player it is more interesting as you get more resistance and get a challenge.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • I know that most honorable players would rather not use gold. I have a few friends who without any second thoughts spend all of their gold on normal matches. I have one who almost always has none because it's gone in mere days when he gets any. It's like he uses it at every opportunity. Low on 100 metal? Buy some. Low on manpower? Buy some. Those people not only put themselves in a pretty precarious situation but are also kinda dumb. The things my friend spends their gold on are almost always the most inefficient way to spend it. They, however, end up with so little gold that they can't use much for the actually important stuff. I personally only use gold when absolutely necessary, which is a max of 2k, which happens once every 5 or so rounds. Normally I use none. Although gold whales do exist, I don't see them everywhere. For most people using gold to win each round just isn't sustainable, and it shows. A lot of people just play the game normally. If you came across so many gold whales then it must just be bad luck.
      Kind regards,
      Donk
      Bytro game addict and avid CoW player.

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• 90% of people aren't credit card warriors. Also this is one of the billion posts that these people are leaving the game due to gold. Gold ads exist in the mobile app, it is the only way Bytro can earn money. Through ads and through buying premium account and gold.
      The Saviour

The post was edited 1 time, last by Claudio NVKP ().

• I've seen some heavy gold users (about 1 in 5 games(especially in events) or even less) but have not ever seen one who actually won the game if he has no good strategy skills in addition. Gold can not make one victorious there...That's why I love this game.
      "Any man who must say, 'I am the king' is no true king." - Tywin Lannister
    • Here are two screenshots from my last game. This is an obvious heavy gold user. On the day four military ranking report he had an army three times the size of anyone else. By all accounts he went at it with another heavy gold user and by the 12th day had racked up the largest set of casualties I've seen yet. I'm happy to say neither won.
      Images
      • Screenshot Military Ranking.png

123.95 kB, 591×193, viewed 23 times
      • Screenshot Newspaper Casualties.png

354.9 kB, 576×491, viewed 24 times
    • I’m of the opinion you win this game best as a coalition. This is a very cooperative game. Solo victories are possible, but often difficult if there are multiple skilled players on the map. I think the gold users often forget or don’t want to make allies and try using gold to compensate. I’ve had my share of bad allies, but I’ve had even more good ones that you can learn from or teach the game to.
    • Claudio NVKP wrote:

90% of people aren't credit card warriors. Also this is one of the billion posts that these people are leaving the game due to gold. Gold ads exist in the mobile app, it is the only way Bytro can earn money. Through ads and through buying premium account and gold.
      I have to admit, once I realized how much gold players got with the ads, I had to adapt my views on gold usage. I certainly use my share of it now, but not more than I earn from the ads, winning games, and other achievements. I do support Bytro by subscribing to a premium account however. Only seams fair. How else will they stay in business to provide this great game.
    • I am in exactly the same place and I'm walking away as well. Whatever has happened over the past year in terms of business model was a horrible decision. I used to never see gold impact the strategy and gameplay in a significant way. However, it's a regular occurrence that strategy is useless because one or more players are relying heavily on gold. I've played three games in the past two weeks, and all three were heavily swayed by gold.

In one, a player spammed out 100s of units in a couple of days to overwhelm whoever he wanted to.

In another, a sea invasion from an enemy was followed by the immediate deployment of manufacturing for three different types of units in a city. Did that significantly alter the game? Of course.

In the most recent game, the neighboring country was someone who had a K/D of .44 and had only joined 5 games. Guess what? An endless line of troops come marching my way.

Where can strategy fit into those scenarios? It doesn't. Call of War is no longer about strategy in terms of gameplay, but strategy in terms of spending.