The island nations my personal ranking and opinion on each.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The island nations my personal ranking and opinion on each.

So before I start, I just wanted to say that i only just started posting on the forum after lurking for quite a while, and I'm enjoying it so far, I'd appreciate if everyone would share their favorite island nations and rank them in terms of their personal preference and quality. So ill be going by the 100 player map. First is the Philippines, I personally think it's unmatched among all the others excellent positioning and opportunities for expansion it's just close enough to AI islands to gain land and grow and just close enough to players to be involved in diplomacy and be fun it also has double steel and double oil provinces which is useful for a navy. Its geography makes it annoying to invade as well. Two for me is going to come as a surprise I'm sure but New Zealand I know people's opinion about this nation, and it's entirely unfounded the opportunity for expansion is incredible it has double steel and oil, and it's far from other players, so it's relatively low attention in the early days. You won't be heavily involved in diplomacy early due to your isolation (not counting the Australians) it's all around a peaceful and pleasant play, though I'd say it's distance is its main flaw. Third Sumatra It's positioning is a bit more difficult considering the Australians and the 50/50 chance you will fight Borneo within the first three days it's a balancing act in diplomacy due to your limited opportunities for expansion the Australians (if they unite into a coalition) will definitely kill you as you are not usually a preferred ally it does have double oil and two close urban provinces Batavia and Bandung which I always turn into ports, so you can join ships right off the bat. Now Japan, this nation is always fun you only have one steel and one oil (non-urban) so not tremendous but sustainable difficulty with expansion due to being beaten to opportunities by other nations going on land is commonly done as a result very delicate balance between ground and naval. Also a risk of enemies capturing adjacent land and threatening your core provinces with an air force (i mean Manchukuo/Koreas land). Next is Caribbean, first island nation I ever played in which I had a decent game little opportunities for expansion/difficult to expand as I don't recommend attempting to capture islands. It's pointless you will gain a lot more in a shorter time resolving upon the difficulty of capturing a player. Preferably South USA they are the perfect food for the Caribbean the nearest possible ports and just generally have what you need in the time you need it. It's a diplomacy heavy nation, a competent NA alliance is preferred otherwise maintaining territory might be difficult, and you don't want to lose invested progress the South USA territory is a threat to your security (planes can reach your capital from it) so I always capture them I learned my lesson when I was decimated by tactical and naval bombers. Next is Papua good opportunities for expansion a lot of people prefer to capture you especially the Australians once they wrap up Australia so leaving to expand is risky and force must be maintained on your mainland if they land getting them off won't be easy you definitely require a navy/naval bombers and interceptors. Borneo next just terrible in my opinion, I never liked playing as it, but I realize it is at least decent. Next Madagascar hard to expand and has an oil deficit diplomacy is a must early on to secure your land not much to say about this nation it's bad or at least I don't enjoy it. Now dead last and rightfully so is Britain I detest this nation and I know a lot of people love it. It takes a lot of skill to play and diplomatic skills (unless you're a beast that can kill those nearest to your mainland) you will be destroyed by planes from Frances land four of your five core urban provinces can be easily decimated if you lack interceptors and anti-air and on top of that you will need a navy. I try to ally whoever will end up owning that land (if I can't take it) if they aren't interested I recommend going to war you absolutely require that land to be passive towards you, or you will die I know someone would say I simply lack the skill to play this nation, and you are likely right I have made it late game with it unfortunately lost, but I did have a "meh" time with it. Now that's it I appreciate whoever read through this I know it's lengthy I hope you enjoyed my opinion now let me know yours!
    • I disagree with borneo honesty borneo so good for expansion. all you have to do is take Brunei and go all out on navy. since the Philippines and Sumatra are extremely narrow countries. you can basically bombard their entire country with your navy and then just send in your units to quickly take them. this probably the only island nation I have had success with

also quick tip if you're writing a big text cut it down into chunks cuz I won't lie it's a bit overwhelming trying to read a big wall of text
      "I don't know jeff!"

Chris kamara
    • So before I start, I just wanted to say that i only just started posting on the forum after lurking for quite a while, and I'm enjoying it so far, I'd appreciate if everyone would share their favorite island nations and rank them in terms of their personal preference and quality. So ill be going by the 100 player map.

First is the Philippines, I personally think it's unmatched among all the others excellent positioning and opportunities for expansion it's just close enough to AI islands to gain land and grow and just close enough to players to be involved in diplomacy and be fun it also has double steel and double oil provinces which is useful for a navy. Its geography makes it annoying to invade as well.

Two for me is going to come as a surprise I'm sure but New Zealand I know people's opinion about this nation, and it's entirely unfounded the opportunity for expansion is incredible it has double steel and oil, and it's far from other players, so it's relatively low attention in the early days. You won't be heavily involved in diplomacy early due to your isolation (not counting the Australians) it's all around a peaceful and pleasant play, though I'd say it's distance is its main flaw.

Third Sumatra It's positioning is a bit more difficult considering the Australians and the 50/50 chance you will fight Borneo within the first three days it's a balancing act in diplomacy due to your limited opportunities for expansion the Australians (if they unite into a coalition) will definitely kill you as you are not usually a preferred ally it does have double oil and two close urban provinces Batavia and Bandung which I always turn into ports, so you can join ships right off the bat.

Now Japan, this nation is always fun you only have one steel and one oil (non-urban) so not tremendous but sustainable difficulty with expansion due to being beaten to opportunities by other nations going on land is commonly done as a result very delicate balance between ground and naval. Also a risk of enemies capturing adjacent land and threatening your core provinces with an air force (i mean Manchukuo/Koreas land).

Next is Caribbean, first island nation I ever played in which I had a decent game little opportunities for expansion/difficult to expand as I don't recommend attempting to capture islands. It's pointless you will gain a lot more in a shorter time resolving upon the difficulty of capturing a player.

Preferably South USA they are the perfect food for the Caribbean the nearest possible ports and just generally have what you need in the time you need it. It's a diplomacy heavy nation, a competent NA alliance is preferred otherwise maintaining territory might be difficult, and you don't want to lose invested progress the South USA territory is a threat to your security (planes can reach your capital from it) so I always capture them I learned my lesson when I was decimated by tactical and naval bombers.

Next is Papua good opportunities for expansion a lot of people prefer to capture you especially the Australians once they wrap up Australia so leaving to expand is risky and force must be maintained on your mainland if they land getting them off won't be easy you definitely require a navy/naval bombers and interceptors.

Borneo next just terrible in my opinion, I never liked playing as it, but I realize it is at least decent.

Next Madagascar hard to expand and has an oil deficit diplomacy is a must early on to secure your land not much to say about this nation it's bad or at least I don't enjoy it. Now dead last and rightfully so is Britain I detest this nation and I know a lot of people love it.

It takes a lot of skill to play and diplomatic skills (unless you're a beast that can kill those nearest to your mainland) you will be destroyed by planes from Frances land four of your five core urban provinces can be easily decimated if you lack interceptors and anti-air and on top of that you will need a navy.

I try to ally whoever will end up owning that land (if I can't take it) if they aren't interested I recommend going to war you absolutely require that land to be passive towards you, or you will die I know someone would say I simply lack the skill to play this nation, and you are likely right I have made it late game with it unfortunately lost,

but I did have a "meh" time with it. Now that's it I appreciate whoever read through this I know it's lengthy I hope you enjoyed my opinion now let me know yours!
      ꦮꦺꦱ꧀ꦲꦺꦴꦫꦲꦺꦴꦤꦺꦴꦱꦺꦁꦲꦶꦱꦺꦴꦢꦶꦭꦏꦺꦴꦤꦶ

Normal Day in Call of War

World at War Playthrough
    • AMG Morgan wrote:

I disagree with borneo honesty borneo so good for expansion. all you have to do is take Brunei and go all out on navy. since the Philippines and Sumatra are extremely narrow countries. you can basically bombard their entire country with your navy and then just send in your units to quickly take them. this probably the only island nation I have had success with

also quick tip if you're writing a big text cut it down into chunks cuz I won't lie it's a bit overwhelming trying to read a big wall of text
      Right sorry about that it's just that I don't have an issue with large chunks of text, but I must admit it's a little sloppy ill probably edit it later but ill keep it in mind for my next thread, thank you for your feedback. You can bombard all core cities of Borneo, so that is a vulnerability it shares with the other islands. But it is true that inland airstrips can't be bombarded, so that is one advantage. I have never met anyone who likes Borneo, so that's odd for me.
    • I agree with you with the Carribean.

Not to be rude to those who like it but it is just an awful nation. Anytime you want to send troops to attack or ally it takes easily over 24 hours to do so. So therefore I just believe that it is a poor nation, with poor production, and is, in my opinion, should not even be a nation.
      Grabdab
      First Sergeant (Level 89)

"Wake up and its CoW time!"
      - Grabdab (2020)
      :tumbleweed: