Troops linking up

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• One of the great mysteries of the game. I still didn't figure out when reinforcements moving to the same spot as other troops in combat (and it is the final estination of both stacks) remain different stacks, or merge with them. Sometimes the one happens, sometimes the other.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • In close combat, it is actually better for you to have your units link up before attacking instead of attacking separately, as long as you do not exceed ten units in a stack. This is because you will take less damage overall.

If you have two separate units attacking, they will each do their individual damage separately. However, each time they attack, they will take damage of the enemy units defence value during the attack.

If the two units stack together, they will still do the same damage combined, because their combined damage value will be the sum of their separate attack values. However, the damage they take from the defending unit will be divided among your two units. Therefore, they will take less damage overall.

To illustrate, say you have two units, A and B, attacking an enemy unit C. Your two units each have attack values of 1.0 against the enemy unit. The enemy unit C has a defence value of 1.0 as well.

If your two units attack separately, they will do a total of 2.0 damage, as they will each do damage of 1.0 on their attacks. If they attack as a single stack, they will still do a total of 2.0 damage, because their attack values are added together.

However, if your two units attack separately, they will each take damage from the enemy unit C when they attack. On the other hand, if they are stacked together, they will both only take damage once from C, and divide this damage between themselves. Therefore, they will only take 0.5 damage each on the attack.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

One of the great mysteries of the game. I still didn't figure out when reinforcements moving to the same spot as other troops in combat (and it is the final estination of both stacks) remain different stacks, or merge with them. Sometimes the one happens, sometimes the other.
      If you have one unit attacking and a second unit just moves to the same spot (without attacking) then the two will function as two separate units. If the second unit also attacks the enemy unit (you have to select the second unit and then click attack and select the enemy unit) the two should attack as a single stack.

Alternatively, when a second unit moves to the same spot as a first one that is already attacking, click stop on the first to stop it actively attacking. Then both units should stack together and function as a single stack.
    • Hey stufifer great question!

All troops have an invisible radius in which they ingage other troops in combat. Meaning if you have your army all split up when your enemy attacks you will be at a disadvantage as your troops won't evenly share the damage between each other.

Martin8 also put some usefull information you can use for your next battle.
      Good luck!
      :00002178:
    • MartinB wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

One of the great mysteries of the game. I still didn't figure out when reinforcements moving to the same spot as other troops in combat (and it is the final estination of both stacks) remain different stacks, or merge with them. Sometimes the one happens, sometimes the other.
      If you have one unit attacking and a second unit just moves to the same spot (without attacking) then the two will function as two separate units. If the second unit also attacks the enemy unit (you have to select the second unit and then click attack and select the enemy unit) the two should attack as a single stack.
      Alternatively, when a second unit moves to the same spot as a first one that is already attacking, click stop on the first to stop it actively attacking. Then both units should stack together and function as a single stack.
      Interesting, I'll surely test that though it doesn't really fit with my percieved experience.

So how about defending? When you have a unit under attack, but not attacking itself, then a second unit moves (NOT attacking as well) to the exact same spot, sometimes they merge and sometimes they don't...?
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

MartinB wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

If you have one unit attacking and a second unit just moves to the same spot (without attacking) then the two will function as two separate units. If the second unit also attacks the enemy unit (you have to select the second unit and then click attack and select the enemy unit) the two should attack as a single stack.Alternatively, when a second unit moves to the same spot as a first one that is already attacking, click stop on the first to stop it actively attacking. Then both units should stack together and function as a single stack.
      Interesting, I'll surely test that though it doesn't really fit with my percieved experience.
      So how about defending? When you have a unit under attack, but not attacking itself, then a second unit moves (NOT attacking as well) to the exact same spot, sometimes they merge and sometimes they don't...?
      My thoughts on this are that if you have a unit defending and try to move a second unit to back it up, then if your opponent doesn't notice it, you can move the second unit in to strengthen the defence. However, if you are playing against someone active, then the attacker can try to stop the two linking up by attacking the reinforcing unit as it approaches the first one, BEFORE the two units link up.

An opponent might try to do this, for example, if he was trying to take a city with one defending unit, with fortifications to reduce damage. If he sees you trying to reinforce the defending city, then he can attack them instead as they approach before they get to the city (remembering that he can switch his target and hit the reinforcing unit when it is still a short distance away from the city) because then his attacking unit will deal more damage to them before they get into the city's fortifications.

I have had this happen to me playing against an active player, so assume that that was what he did. Not had this happen against the AI, so am not sure if it would happen fighting against the AI.
    • Interestingly, just had the chance to test this in-game. I had two Infantry units stacked and an Artillery and an Anti-Tank stacked, both travelling through a spot, that were ambushed by an enemy Militia that was in stealth. When I logged on, they were in two separate stacks (2 Infantry in one, the Art and AT in the other, both attacking as separate stacks.

So I selected both stacks, and ordered them to Stop all actions.

Immediately, the two separate stacks (both on the same spot but functioning as two separate stacks) meged into a single stack of four units and function as a single stack. The attack of course delays to the later of the two stacks.
    • Heh, that's a nice trick! Thanks for sharing!
      - BIG DADDY.
    • NoobNoobTrain wrote:

There was a comprehensive answer on this in a recent thread.
      I missed that and can't find it now... any idea where that was?
      - BIG DADDY.