More whales?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• More whales?

I took a break from this game somewhere in last spring, and have recently returned. From what I've seen, the atmosphere in the game has drastically changed since then: previously, it was pretty rare to encounter a whale (someone spending HUGE amounts of money on the game), but since I came back, I still didn't join a round (maybe 5 different 100p maps) where there wasn't at least ONE whale around disrupting and ruining having a big impact on the game. I'm not talking about the small spenders, just using the daily 2k you get these days for watching video's; I'm talking people who are apparently spending hundreds of thousands gold, possibly millions, on a single game.

Have I just been unlucky on the particular games I joined? Or do you guys have similar experiences, and are whales a MUCH more common sight than they were, say, a year ago?
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • I'm guessing some maps are more prone to it than others.

I've only once encountered a whale on the 22 player map. However, I've only played the 100 player map twice but know ones existed in both games. On the day four military ranking in the newspaper, one player had 11% of the military in one game and in the other a player had 6%.
    • Yes, it is funny - in a sad way - how there's a pattern in the behaviour of certain playable countries of the HWW:

Germany: Some hotheaded noob wants to be Hitler and recreate the occupation of Europe, but fails at day 2 and quits.
      Australia: Positions a ring of fleets all around the continent and does nothing for the rest of the game.
      USSR: Uses the most resource abaundant nation on the map for precisely zero. May even lose to Tannu Tuva.
      Japan: Invades the Chinas, but forgets or neglects to tech and has his major fleet defeated.
      UK/France/Italy: A golden boy is usually found in one of this nations. He doesn't realise that he already has a nation suited to win the game as is, but pours in gold anyway. Most often this player has no clue how to use his fleets efficiently.
      USA: Thinks he can police the world, but fails to expand, letting the US get overtaken by smaller powers.

Does it ring a bell? :)
    • This is the most recent post I could find about the "whales". I apologize if I opened a closed thread, or if there are indeed other, more recent threads about aforementioned "whales".

Now, I know how to deal with "whales" on smaller maps, such as basically all of the Europe maps, Pacific Theater, and America: Homefront. But how do you effectively deal with them on the world maps? They have the benefit of distance and time, and they seem unstoppable...
      Have an amazing rest of your day ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

Need support? ---> Send a ticket here!

dxter's CoW Battle Calculator ---> Use it here!

:tumbleweed:

o7
    • _Pyth0n_ wrote:

This is the most recent post I could find about the "whales". I apologize if I opened a closed thread, or if there are indeed other, more recent threads about aforementioned "whales".

Now, I know how to deal with "whales" on smaller maps, such as basically all of the Europe maps, Pacific Theater, and America: Homefront. But how do you effectively deal with them on the world maps? They have the benefit of distance and time, and they seem unstoppable...
      It's amazing what you can do with diplomacy. Engage with other players to form coalitions of the willing. No one likes a whale trying to buy the game. I had a game a while back with nine players teaming up against a whale and their two sidekicks. Just offer a non-aggression pact and agree to leave the weaker side either go AI after or remain active without interfering with the others ability to win the game.

If the whale is good enough and willing to spend enough money, you may have to consider the possibility they cannot be beaten short of playing their game. Something I'm not willing to do. I never feed the trolls by trying to outspend them. Sometimes you have to just archive the game.
    • _Pyth0n_ wrote:

This is the most recent post I could find about the "whales". I apologize if I opened a closed thread, or if there are indeed other, more recent threads about aforementioned "whales".

Bruh why are U replying to thread thats like 4 months old?
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

I took a break from this game somewhere in last spring, and have recently returned. From what I've seen, the atmosphere in the game has drastically changed since then: previously, it was pretty rare to encounter a whale (someone spending HUGE amounts of money on the game), but since I came back, I still didn't join a round (maybe 5 different 100p maps) where there wasn't at least ONE whale around disrupting and ruining having a big impact on the game. I'm not talking about the small spenders, just using the daily 2k you get these days for watching video's; I'm talking people who are apparently spending hundreds of thousands gold, possibly millions, on a single game.

Have I just been unlucky on the particular games I joined? Or do you guys have similar experiences, and are whales a MUCH more common sight than they were, say, a year ago?
      Maybe find nice Orcas to counter the big bad whales ? hehe
      You sound like a fun player. contact me if you play a round.