New Building Type: Radar Station

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New Building Type: Radar Station

Signal Radar.jpeg
      A Quick Introduction

In World War II, many innovations happened. One of these was the development of new technologies to help the war effort. The new technology of Radio-based Detection And Ranging more commonly referred to as RADAR was being developed by all major powers during the war. Radar was used a lot during WWII by multiple nations as an early warning system to detect incoming aircraft. It would be interesting in having this implemented in the game. This is my take on how it could be implemented.

How It Would Work

Radar Stations would be able to build in cities and provinces (or only cities). Radar Stations would first have to be researched in the Secret tab and would have multiple levels, each extra level would extend the sight radius of the Radar Station. The Radar Station would not function as a normal unit, Radars would only have fog view and only show incoming planes (and possibly ships/land units). Radar Stations will not give out the full information of troops, only location, and which country they are from. If Naval/Land units can be spotted stealth units like commandos and submarines won't be revealed giving them an indirect buff.

Certain things would still need to be addressed like:
      • Building hitpoints
      • Build/Research costs
      • Build/Research time
      • View range
      • Which troops can be spotted
      It will be important that if Radar Stations are added in the future they be balanced well.

Radar Stations For The Different Doctrines

Radars level 1 can be researched at day 10, level 2 at day 15, and level 3 at day 20.
      Additionally, the Allies get a Day of availability: -2 as the USA and UK were leading in this technology and the Pan-Asian Doctrine would get a Day of availability: +2 as Japan was far behind other nations. This is what I have come up with for the view range of Radar Stations:

Doctrine: Axis
      Level 1: 120 view range
      Level 2: 180 view range
      Level 3: 240 view range

Doctrine: Allies

Doctrine: Comintern

Doctrine: Pan-Asian
      Level 1: 155 view range
      Level 2: 235 view range
      Level 3: 315 view range

For the Pan-Asian Doctrine, I added the 30% sight bonus to show how much this would add up. This might be unrealistically large for Radar at the time and the Radar Station would not be classified as a unit. Having such a large view range could also be too overpowered.

This is my take on Radar Stations and how they could be implemented in the game. This idea is not perfect and I would love to hear some feedback and see how you guys feel about Radar being implemented into the game.
      Any good suggestions you guys like I'll put below here:

Suggestion 1: Give Allies a bonus on range

(note I don't own the images posted)
      :00002178:

The post was edited 1 time, last by alpharunner ().

• This is a fantastic idea. I think that instead of using research to upgrade the capabilities, just upgrading the building would suffice. However, I do believe this should be a very expensive building, vulnerable to strategic bomber raids. In my opinion, upgrading the building should improve the information that it grants as opposed to only increasing range.

Ex:
      Lvl 1 shows fog unit and country affiliation.
      Lvl 2 shows number of units and type in the stack.
      Lvl 3 increases range and shows research levels associated with the types of units.
      Maybe a fourth level that sends you a notification that you have an incoming attack on the city.

Just my take on the idea. I think radars could be a very valuable addition to the game. Great work!
      The elephant is the only land mammal that cannot jump.
    • alpharunner wrote:

This is true, the allies were far ahead of this technology compared to others. It might make the allies very overpowered if they have a larger view range than other doctrines. That is why I suggested the allied doctrine can research them 2 days earlier.
      I would remove the sight bonus for pan asian and add it to Allies (Given the fact that this is a building Pan- Asian sight bonus wouldn't necessarily have to apply)
    • I like this, just I would give the sight bonus to Allies instead of Pan Asian due to the higher amount of knowledge in this territory that Allies had which you mentioned and that giving Pan Asian yet another sight bonus would probably make them overpowered especially against Allies, who have much less speed to respond to faster Pan Asian troops who can already see them coming.
    • - Most of my maps are over by day 14-16, so making this only available at day 10 makes the whole idea kind of moot. Since they were already crucial (for example) in the Battle of Britain, I see no reason to introduce them so late.

- Spotting incoming planes already has a pretty good range. Since patrolling is the way to go anyway, you have several minutes of fly time PLUS 15m patrolling warning time already. Adding maybe 10 minutes to that doesn't have a super-value. Since they can't even move and will be useless once the battle rolls into new area's, this means they would need to be VERY cheap to have a use case. See the long history of infrastructure getting cheaper and cheaper and people are STILL not willing to buy it (though its finally getting close!). Infrastructure is better than this, I think. I wouldn't pay more than maybe 100 or 200 res for a radar station as you described it.

- A radar station able to spot land units (unrealistic as it may be!) is a completely different matter. Increasing the sight range of you border armored cars would certainly be very valuable, especially since it would eliminate the upkeep of said AC's. Especially useful on a peaceful front with someone you still don't completely trust.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

- Most of my maps are over by day 14-16, so making this only available at day 10 makes the whole idea kind of moot. Since they were already crucial (for example) in the Battle of Britain, I see no reason to introduce them so late.

- Spotting incoming planes already has a pretty good range. Since patrolling is the way to go anyway, you have several minutes of fly time PLUS 15m patrolling warning time already. Adding maybe 10 minutes to that doesn't have a super-value. Since they can't even move and will be useless once the battle rolls into new area's, this means they would need to be VERY cheap to have a use case. See the long history of infrastructure getting cheaper and cheaper and people are STILL not willing to buy it (though its finally getting close!). Infrastructure is better than this, I think. I wouldn't pay more than maybe 100 or 200 res for a radar station as you described it.

- A radar station able to spot land units (unrealistic as it may be!) is a completely different matter. Increasing the sight range of you border armored cars would certainly be very valuable, especially since it would eliminate the upkeep of said AC's. Especially useful on a peaceful front with someone you still don't completely trust.
      I would not use them against planes for sure, but you can be sure I would put them near my coast if they could detect ships.