Modify Resource Production Rates

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Modify Resource Production Rates

There are mechanics in the game that are useful but underutilized. I think some of these can be resolved with few, if any downsides.

I believe you should lower the production of resources, but increase the production of money to compensate.

General Points to be Made

Trade is severely underutilized, even the market, and the problem gets worse as the game progresses. Late game anyone of any competitive size has more of most, if not all, resources than they know what to do with. (Mass infrastructure the world over!)

Modifying production in this way encourages the player to utilize the market and direct trades more often, and negotiate better rates.

Since trade will become more important, trade embargoes will serve a reasonable purpose. (Another feature utilized!)

Diplomacy will play a more active role in a match's progression since it's directly tied to "better trade deals" than the market otherwise offers.

AI can help maintain this system when players go inactive via their (albeit limited) supply to the market. Right now it's largely unnecessary for most of the match.

Global popularity will play a more active role since AI trade embargoes will matter (Global embargoes hurt. ref. Reality)

Doctrines will play a small role in that they tend players toward building specific army compositions that require specific resources, thus encouraging trade.

Nothing crazy in the code needs to be changed or added. Changing the production rates alone should have the intended effect.

These changes can be made in small increments, so there is no risk of a game breaking disaster, almost no risk of problems, and should problems arise anyway, they'll be easy to pinpoint and fix.

Since the changes can be incremental, the effects can be monitored and the process adjusted accordingly.

Lore

WW1 left the world well on the way toward globalization. WW2 expanded on this and during the war imports and exports played an enormous role. Trade played a much more prominent role than Call of War currently portrays.

Closing

I suspect that monitoring the effects will lead everyone to want resource production minimized and money production maximized (for the reasons outlined above), but I admit that's currently speculation.

I know I probably missed some roadblocks, but please consider this suggestion, and consider addressing any roadblocks that do come up in order make this happen.

I'm willing to help.

I'd like to see a more involved Call of War.
      JTRoulin

The post was edited 1 time, last by JTRoulin ().

• I finally start to figure out the beutiful simplicity of this thing and now you want to go and change it! With the cash being equal to the resource, the total cash production is the total resource production. Here I was always waiting 4 days to see what my production was and it was always in real time under cash production. Sheesh.

And I'm a trading demon. But yes, maybe it would create more diplomacy and stuff to procure resources but these dang people are already asking crazy prices for stuff and you want to add inflation. I don't know.
    • The trade market is dead since the fees for ENTERING (as opposed to EXECUTING) an order were introduced. It is the only commodity market to my knowledge where the intent to buy/sell something is already fined; and the predictable result is that no one uses it anymore because you can't be sure your order will actually go through. Before these fees were introduced, there was indeed a very interesting commodity market going on in the game.

I also hate the name, "stock market"... stocks are shares in companies, and we don't trade them on this market. It is a commodity market, a goods market, whatever, but NOT a "stock market".
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • More like a futures market. I'm pretty active in the market. The fee does affect the bids, but I buy and sell everyday.
      You do get lucky in the market sometimes because one person will say put in an bid to buy 2000 goods at 10, but then another will mistakenly put in a sell of goods at 5. So I buy the goods at 5 and sell at 10. Far exceeds the fees. Made quite a bit of cash over a few games.

If a lot of food, and need goods, if food is selling for 10% more, it's a straight across trade that keeps me going. And if I see anything selling under 3 in the first weeks, I snag it if I have the cash.
    • Just to make sure I wasn't misleading with statement about the economic total in newspaper.

It has nothing to do with cash production since the cash also includes money on non resource provinces.

The total is solely the sum of the daily production totals of the five resources plus the daily production total of manpower.

Consumption has no bearing.

Also the drop down information on resources says "production and consumption values are updated once a day".
      Maybe that was in old versions of COW but that is not the case now. They update in real time.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ender611 ().