Speed Event

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Speed Event

I joined my first speed event; World at War 100 player map, x4 speed. I joined with a couple of mates from sister alliances (none of which I had actually played with before), when one of us picked the wrong game trying to be the first to join the next 100 player map that opened.

It was intense; the pace of the game was incredible! We realized quickly the pace of the game would necessitate a high amount of activity. We all had high command and had the added advantage of having partners join the game so didn't need to spend the time looking for them in game, when time was a premium. The speed rounds really exacerbate the difference between skilled and unskilled players, committed and those that check in two or three times a day, and those with the premium account. The queueing was invaluable. I've always thought the premium accounts were just to make things easier to manage and not over-powered, but in this situation, it really shined. I've wrecked players before in three or four hours, but this game I found myself doing it in less than an hour.

It really was an absolute KD harvest. I think my rate went up a full point. I had a personal best of only losing one armored car the entire game. One thing that appeared to accelerate this was the pace players go inactive. I expected to see it in the newspaper at the beginning of the fourth game day as usual, but the speed events must follow the two real world days before a player goes inactive, so the soonest the AIs started taking over was day 8 or 9. I finished with 970 victory points myself and only took on four players who put up a fight.

We realized, that with a day change occurring every four hours, if we slept a normal eight hours at night, we'd miss over an entire day. I don't think I slept more than four hours at a time the entire game. I would drink lots of water before going to bed just so I would need to get up and go to the bathroom several times and check in on the game on my phone.

The speed of the game really didn't allow for testing new strategies. I did however totally omit use of planes. I rarely use planes anyway when I play Comintern, but with the pace of the game I didn't want to worry about building airstrips everywhere.

One of the other players messaged me at the end asking if we used gold. I just explained our alliances all have a no first use policy on gold, and we didn't see any used so didn't use any. I explained the advantages we had and he admitted he only checked in a few times a day and understood how that would allow him to fall so far behind.

Now that the game is over, I need some sleep. I think I owe my wife some flowers too.

Has anyone else tried the speed events. What was your experience?
    • I agree with almost all you said but as a non premium member I do not think it is a component to winning in the speed game as much as activity. If I recall correctly Napoleon said "Activity, activity, activity!" and that is the case for all games but more so for the speed games. The WAW 4X map I just finished only lasted five days of playing for 22 in game days. If you play 30 minutes a day in a normal game you are only playing 2 hours a day in game vs a player that plays even 12 hours a day gets in 2 whole days of game time. (I am using these number for simple math reasons not that many players play that much or that little. Some play more, some play less) That is a big difference in what you can do to expand and what you can build.

Also I joined with one person I knew (he died on game day 4) and we never shared a border. I never felt the need to partner until Africa was split between 2 of us, probably on day 10 of 22.

Finally just a point to correct you on the game days were every 6 hours not 4 as you said but even at 6 per day if you slept more than 4 to 6 hours you were losing a lot of time to build or expand. That is why my math is different then if the day were 4 hours.
      "Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." ~ Erwin Rommel
    • You are absolutely right; the "days" are six hours not four. You can tell I was a little sleep deprived after finishing the game.

The other point I intended to make last night, but failed to, was the benefit of the fire control with the premium account. Most nights when I went to bed, I was able to invade a neighbor who I thought was offline. I just put everything on offensive fire control, and it will bombard when it gets in range. I did this on two nights, worked like a charm.

We were able to finish the game by day change going into the 15th day. My average on that map is 14-16 days so we kept in it that range even with missing a "day" to sleep for every real-life day.

I always advise new players to think of the game as a marathon, not a sprint. To someone accustomed to the normal pace of the game, this felt like a sprint!
    • Trust me, mate. I totally understand the sleep deprivation issue, I am still recovering from my game.

I am going to point out one MAJOR flaw in fire control that I will use quite often, regardless if I think you are online or off. I will send a forlorn hope unit, usually an Infantry or an Armored Car, to draw your fire, if you fire on it I will withdraw it while my units move into the position to attack with both ranged units and CQB units. This works 90%+ of the time. If you dont fire on it, it will advance unit the unit is contact with your unit while my follow on forces remain just out of range thus I remove the possibility of ranged fire by you until I get in at least 1 or 2, and possibly more, ranged attacks of my own. Of course this do not work when I am asleep but then who sleeps.

As far as game length goes, mine went to day 22 for the main reason that Asia was filled by two alliance teams of 4 and 5 players. These two Alliances were working together (or at least waiting for the one to make a mistake and turn on the other.)

LOL Finally I feel more it was a Marathon sprint.
      "Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." ~ Erwin Rommel
    • Yeah, the forlorn hope unit is a good trick. But it doesn't totally prevent the main stack from bombarding. I know when I'm clearing away multiple units with bombardment, it will clear away one gimped unit, then do a one-minute count down before bombarding the next. I don't know the exact rules for this, but should probably find out.

Another thing I forgot to add is the newspaper. Wow, that first day it was impossible to do opposition research. Every time I'd open it and try to scroll down, it would refresh because something happened and take me back to the top again. They really need to do something about that.

I'm glad the game ended when it did, I don't think I could have gone another day without sleep. Today I'm trying to return my caffeine intake to a normal amount.

We started in Asia and the Middle East, the team was Nat China, N and S India, Saudi, and I was Pakistan. Starting in that general geographical location made sense because everyone had different doctrine preferences. I went for Afghan, then Persia before attacking north. I took everything in Russia west of Siberia, then went into Scandanavia and Egypt at the same time. From Egypt I exploded West and South while my partners attacked in Algeria and South-Eastern coast.
    • The rule for the artillery refire that I have found is IF you kill the unit you are firing at you can refire and iirc it is allowed to be used multiple times. So if you have four damaged units and a main stack you want to fire on, kill one damaged unit then the next, til the four damaged units are dead and then fire on the main stack, you obviously have to be on to preform the fire orders as I dont think the computer does this, so I dont know if this is an intended feature or an exploit, for this follow the rule don't ask, don't tell.

I agree with the newspaper issue, it also affects coalition messages. I slept for 4 hours the last day and when I awoke my 3 allies had been talking with each other about a situation and there were over 60 messages I tried to go back thru and was not able to do so because of that bug. I tried the game in 2 different browser and on steam and all platforms had the same issue.