Supply Lines

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Supply Lines

Supply lines were one of the key factors in WW2. Part of the reason for the German invasion of Russia for failing was that their supply lines were stretched thin. All countries also commonly attacked supply lines as a way to starve the enemy's troops

So here's an idea to implement them into the game. When you send a stack of troops and attack, they have to have friendly provinces (roads) behind them connecting them to either their homeland or a city or at least an accessible port.

If troops don't have a "supply line," they can't heal. Because of this, units with supply lines and in friendly territory should also heal faster, so that it makes supply lines worth it

They could also make it so troops without supply lines slowly lose health (this would make sieges and encirclements more effective since they aren't that effective in game right now

I hope the devs consider this suggestion, thanks!
    • Maybe it could be extended to trade as well. In order for countries to trade (through the sea), they need to have clear naval routes from the territory that makes these supplies, if a ship blocks this route, then they can't trade, or trade less (using a province that produces less resources) this would add so much to naval play as well as air power.
      President of The Forum.

(As elected October 2023).

Can be found on Call of War itself as "Zaktty".
    • This has been suggested multiple times, however, it is unlikely that they will ever be added, as everything about attacks, armies, and ships would have to be redesigned. Maybe for CoW 2.0. (Yes I know that 2.0 isn't actually a thing but no-one can see the future :P)
      Have an amazing rest of your day ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

Need support? ---> Send a ticket here!

dxter's CoW Battle Calculator ---> Use it here!

:tumbleweed:

o7
    • This would be a fantastic idea, we can keep it like, if the units are completely encircled, or have no supply lines, it starts losing HP

This was, motorized units will be really useful even in lower numbers

This way, this game will turn even better and have 'true' strategy
      So if needed we can starve a stack which can't break encirclement,

we can also have it like, the first few units of time (days, hours, or something) the damage is less, but progressively get exponentially worse. This will allow us to defeat large immobile stacks which are dug in but encircled

And now we can actually do true blitzkrieg
    • Boozo wrote:

Supply lines were one of the key factors in WW2. Part of the reason for the German invasion of Russia for failing was that their supply lines were stretched thin. All countries also commonly attacked supply lines as a way to starve the enemy's troops

So here's an idea to implement them into the game. When you send a stack of troops and attack, they have to have friendly provinces (roads) behind them connecting them to either their homeland or a city or at least an accessible port.

If troops don't have a "supply line," they can't heal. Because of this, units with supply lines and in friendly territory should also heal faster, so that it makes supply lines worth it

They could also make it so troops without supply lines slowly lose health (this would make sieges and encirclements more effective since they aren't that effective in game right now

I hope the devs consider this suggestion, thanks!
      I really like your idea of supply lines that are connected if they meet a port. Initially I thought your idea would make supply lines a little difficult to implement, ie how were you gonna connect your territory to countries on an another continent. But not only did you solve this problem you made ports useful (I only ever use naval bases for my embarking troops).

I think from a contextual stand-point, you could even make cut off supply lines even more detrimental, ie extra speed de-buffs (low fuel) and reduced damage (low ammunition). You could also make commandos useful ;) by negating these de-buffs (including losing health overtime).

Also to still allow blitzkreig I think these de-buffs should only start taking place after day change, an indication that supplies are running out.

Really well succinct take on this one Boozo! :thumbsup:
      Make HWW all in, a staple gamemode :thumbup:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Nadda ().

• AMG Morgan wrote:

I support this idea but I think bytro favors a more simple game. I mean the fact that they took out negative terrain bonus like tanks dealing -25 damage in urban still saddens me to this day.
      I agree with this. I think many of the long-time players are hungry for some more sophistication.
      The elephant is the only land mammal that cannot jump.
    • I am not sure about all those details with ports, but in general I like the idea. If you don't have connection to core provinces, unit should suffer and slowly disintegrate. It would put paratroopers back in line. So you can build lot of paratroopers and throw them behind enemy, but if you armies and paras don't connect soon, then paras are doomed.

I would keep it simple until we see how it plays, f.e. only trigger this if unit is surrounded by enemy provinces (could also be that unit is stuck between 2 enemy cities so there is no pocket province). If there is neutral province or coast then there are supply lines. I mean surrounded so there is no way to your core provinces. If core provinces are surrounded then I guess it doesn't trigger.

Also there could be limit to number of provinces

I like this as cutting supply lines was major thing in WWII and would give CoW more importance on moving and maneuvering, so you can't just build huge stack, send it and don't care. OK it will last a while, but if you allow lines to be cut off even by a smaller army you are in trouble.

Downside is that this might make it more complicated for casual players, so yeah, maybe a selectable mode
    • Perhaps, in addition to Ports and Cities for supply, the game could add a new construction: Supply Depots. These could represent an ability to resupply, etc., just as they did in WW2. The impact of their loss could have an effect on strategy and tactics. Just as with other constructions, these could also be built up level by level, giving more game emphasis to a real determining war factor - logistics.

"The line between disorder and order lies in logistics." - Sun Tzu
    • An idea like this will also improve the scope of usage of paratroopers. Currently, paratroopers aren't used much in-game cause of the time delays, the introduction of 'supply lines' will mean paratroopers will be units specialized in working behind the enemy lines. They'd also help in dis-coordinating enemy sieges by re-connecting provinces and supply chains. These units should be able to live and operate for a longer period even after being cut off. This would add new strategic ideas to the game.
      The game becomes really boring at a certain level as there is not much creativity to be used in terms of small intricate maneuvers in-game apart from the heavy usage of artillery and/or air force, the rest of the units available in the game, are necessary but not too important. I believe this should change and the strategic and tactical ideas should be wider in terms of variety.
      The introduction of ideas like 'supply-chains', 'improved morale management & rebellions(Ideologies, religious sentiments, and nationalism)', 'realistic naval trade routes and blockades', 'realistic economy management and sanctions', and 'the reduction of the power of artillery & air force in a more realistic way', 'improved usage of real-life tactics and strategies with a wide variety of troops and weapon systems ', 're-allocation of resources realistically in terms of geography' etc. will improve the game drastically. It is just a suggestion, readers please don't take it too seriously. Implementing all these changes will need lots of additional complexities and bugs in the code, the complete SDLC team will have a hard time, and based on the revenue of the developers, it probably won't be feasible for the project. But I strongly believe, that implementing bits and pieces of small changes consistently throughout the years is a possibility provided the fanbase of the game supports it & the project gains sufficient revenue to make these changes a feasible idea.

[P.S.: Please don't kill me for using the word 'Realistic' over a hundred times. Peace]

-Napoleon of the 21st Century (Definitely average height and not as fat)

The post was edited 3 times, last by Napoleone 1800 ().

• i disagree, i think its a bad idea, buckling somebody's entire frontline by applying overwhelming force and then blitzing through their territory before they can recover is exactly how you go about defeating militairly and economically superior oponent in this game, if you're forced to stop because your guys start starving if you dont for however long it takes to build supply depots on a just conqeured region you're gonne get bogged down in attrition fighting against a economically superior oponent, i do think their should be a attrition aswell as speed penalty for units that are cut off from any other territory you own because i do admit its really annoying to have to scramble because the guy you're absulutely crushing otherwise managed to get 1 AC past your troops and i making a B line to city snake you, i do think their should be a mechanic where cutting off their snake trail isloating them causes problems for such a unit but as long as you're making a large coordinated and concentrated push where you maintain control of everything you're taking and nothing gets cut off no supply mechanic should force you to stop, it makes the challenge of toppling a superior oponent even more daunting when you're forced to stop exploiting the opening you made and have the guy regroup and recover while you're waiting for like 14 hours on those supply depots
    • What exactly are you disagreeing against?

We've stated you're troops need to be next to a province that is connected to a supply depot/you're frontline, and you've agreed with this saying

"but as long as you're making a large coordinated and concentrated push where you maintain control of everything you're taking and nothing gets cut off"

What you have just described is a supply mechanic successfully taking place as there are no 'cut offs'
    • Just talking in general.
      -If your army cannot secure it's logistics (ie 2 provinces behind it, then the priority should be speed not numbers
      -This involves fair risk as faster armies can't attach anti tank and anti air easily, and must rely on offensive stats.