Units erroneously attacking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• freezy wrote:

Yes no change was released yet.

The proposed solution (armies automatically decide if they only defend or stack attacking based on their stats) was coded, but it is a riskier change within the combat system where alot of edge cases have to be tested, but our QA currently doesn't have time to test the feature properly. But they hopefully will have time within the next 1-2 months.
      Why bother making it more complicated and delaying the bug fix when you can just change it back to how it was?
    • I explained why we cant change it back to what it was earlier in the thread. Basically the earlier version doesnt work anymore like it did, it now has side effects like ranged units not attacking anymore. Maybe some unforeseen interactions with other parts of the code that changed in the meantime (and we cannot roll back everything). Which makes sense because the old status quo actually also was just a bug and not implemented like that in the code.

The new solution also has been completed already for non-stealth units, just waiting for QA approval still. When it works, the solution also has to be implemented for stealth units, which will follow afterwards.
    • I have had this several times, but I could never figure out the "mechanics" why sometimes troops are defending and sometimes attacking. If I had a grpoup defending that is stronger attacking I just use the attack option to shift the initiative, but you cant start defending unless another melee unit starts attacking you, then you go in defensive mode and have again the option to change to attacking when the timer is full/
    • freezy wrote:

and we cannot roll back everything
      By "back to the way it was" I didn't mean rolling back the old code per se, just the behavior. I think the old behavior was good because it allowed you to decide if you wanted to attack. If you make this automatic depending on the attack/defense values that could make certain tactics problematic. For example, you might want to wait for reinforcements to join the defending stack before attacking back even if the current stack is much better at attacking.
    • Thanks for the feedback, but the decision has already been made and was already coded for the most part, so now we follow through with it. It was discussed also with veterans some months ago (when you were not here again) and deemed a solution good enough, so sadly you missed this feedback window. Every solution has its upsides and downsides (even the old one had them). I think the new way will be fine as well. You just have to plan for the changed mechanics. Since you know that your attacking stack will attack automatically, you have to anticipate that and maybe move units out to make it defensive focused. Players may also take more note when or where they wanna build and place offensive or defensive stacks. And can also use this knowledge to their advantage when attacking enemies.
    • So I have an update: We scrapped the idea of units automatically deciding if they wanna attack or defend based on their stats.

Instead we managed to bring back the original behaviour: That units which idle only defend, no matter where they are located. So this is also the behaviour which was live several years ago and which you guys probably prefer. So you can now place some defense units on roads again.

Can you guys confirm that this is working again?
    • freezy wrote:

So I have an update: We scrapped the idea of units automatically deciding if they wanna attack or defend based on their stats.

Instead we managed to bring back the original behaviour: That units which idle only defend, no matter where they are located. So this is also the behaviour which was live several years ago and which you guys probably prefer. So you can now place some defense units on roads again.

Can you guys confirm that this is working again?
      I saw this in my current game, but was confused because I didn't see an announcement in the release notes.

Thanks for confirming. I'm a little sleep deprived and was starting to think I was going crazy.