Units erroneously attacking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Units erroneously attacking

At first I thought it was because I was making playing errors... but it has happened too often now, and I suspect some sort of bug.

The case is this: I'm SURE my ground stack is standing still, and the enemy is barging into them. So I'm supposed to get the defensive advantage. This happens at first; then when I look at the battle resolution a bit later, I see my own troops are attacking as well. They don't have a move arrow anywhere. I may have looked at their health (and selected the unit to do so), but no move order was given.

This may have to do with the fact that I'm using a second stack of artillery (or maybe air??) to support the battle, though I'm not sure of that.

Has happened to me like five times in the last 1-2 weeks now... sure one or two may have been playing errors, but absolutely not all of them.

All about desktop browser client.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • This issue keeps popping up... and it isn't really rare. It seems to have something to do with supporting a battle with a second stack of artillery from a distance; but the artillery and defenders have never been in the same stack and the artillery is well away from the melee battle spot. I'm HUNDRED PERCENT sure that the defe3nders stood still when the battle started each time.

@freezy, can you please look into this? It kinda ruins the idea of a strategy game, where you try to get a favorable position and maximum support... then suddenly your soldiers jump out of their trenches and start charging at the enemy...

Edit - asked around a bit, and people say it is about not being in the province center?? Just what I heard...
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.

The post was edited 1 time, last by K.Rokossovski ().

• Yeah, there's a very clear pattern... they attack back when they're not in the province center (the "dot").
      - BIG DADDY.
    • This is not intended but a bug.

There is currently a bug/exploit involving diplomacy that makes defensive units start attacking. A fix for this is in the works.

I am not sure however if it occured to you due to different reasons. For that more investigation has to be done. if anyone knows a clear reproduction of how to trigger it, let us know (randomly happening when defending on a road is not a reliable reproduction sadly).
    • Well I haven't seen anything ELSE lately:
      - Stand still on a road (not the prov dot)
      - Wait for an enemy unit to walk into you
      Expect: the enemy attacks, while your own stack only defends and doesn't attack back
      Got: Both stacks attacking

Has nothing to do with dip status, just war before, war during, war after, without any peace offers or anything like that.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • The bug exploit I mentioned can be done without the exploited player noticing (so without accepting any offer) and is pretty easy to do. I won't go into detail to not spread the exploit even more, but this could have happened to you if the other player knew about it. That exploit we will fix soon at least. Or it was another issue, that's what we have to find out.

They dont start attacking immediately I assume, and only do so after several combat ticks, right? So the question is, what makes them attack after that certain amount of time. Is it the diplomatic satus update I mentioned? Or another gamestate related status update? Maybe players see a pattern when this triggers and can report it here. It could also be truly random, but then it will be hard to fix.
    • freezy wrote:

The bug exploit I mentioned can be done without the exploited player noticing (so without accepting any offer) and is pretty easy to do. I won't go into detail to not spread the exploit even more, but this could have happened to you if the other player knew about it. That exploit we will fix soon at least. Or it was another issue, that's what we have to find out.

They dont start attacking immediately I assume, and only do so after several combat ticks, right? So the question is, what makes them attack after that certain amount of time. Is it the diplomatic satus update I mentioned? Or another gamestate related status update? Maybe players see a pattern when this triggers and can report it here. It could also be truly random, but then it will be hard to fix.
      From my experience, it starts right away. There is no delay. As has been mentioned, if you aren't in the center of a providence, the defenders start attacking.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

Well I haven't seen anything ELSE lately:
      - Stand still on a road (not the prov dot)
      - Wait for an enemy unit to walk into you
      Expect: the enemy attacks, while your own stack only defends and doesn't attack back
      Got: Both stacks attacking

Has nothing to do with dip status, just war before, war during, war after, without any peace offers or anything like that.
      Exact same thing happens to me. Instead of stationary units defending when being attacked, they also counterattack immediately.
      Have an amazing rest of your day ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

Need support? ---> Send a ticket here!

dxter's CoW Battle Calculator ---> Use it here!

:tumbleweed:

o7
    • Follow up, it seems that even units that are stationed in the middle of provinces attack instead of just defending. For some reason it's hit or miss, maybe it's because of something to do with the 5km radius of units attacking?
      Have an amazing rest of your day ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

Need support? ---> Send a ticket here!

dxter's CoW Battle Calculator ---> Use it here!

:tumbleweed:

o7
    • this has had me scratching my head since i began playing this game a few weeks ago. this bug has ruined some mature games (one nearly 3 weeks old)

at least it has been acknowledged and they say they will fix. but i've had to leave all my current games because they are unplayable with this bug.

devs : you EVER waste my time like this again and i will quit call of war for good.