Destroyers v. Infantry

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Destroyers v. Infantry

Destroyers can visually bomb cities and units within range, however in their stats, these ship are shown to have no damage output against infantry, armour, or infrastructure. So am I wasting my time bombarding the coast with destroyers or am I at least doing some damage? Also, inform me if I'm being an idiot and interpreting stats the wrong way. Thank you.
    • I don't know for sure, but I think you are probably wasting your time. Someone posted that he had been bombarding ground units for, I think, 24 hours, with two cruisers and done very little damage, so if cruisers are doing scarcely any damage, destroyers will be even less useful.

Having said that, someone did attack an infantry unit of mine with a stack of four destroyers and two cruisers and almost wiped it out before I noticed, but given that I'd been away from the game for a couple of days, he may have been bombarding a long time.
    • If you really want to bombard cities and units, develope Battleships as they have the stats for that. I think the developers want to upgrade the reality of the game from s1914. In real life you wouldnt bombard cities with destroyers, plus now with naval bombers Destroyers would be sitting ducks and destroyed in no time.
    • Pablo22510 wrote:

Yeah, use battleships. I took out (no kidding!) 33 troops with one battleship!
      Really? Someone has been shooting at a stack of mine with 5 cruisers for 48 hours and only managed to kill a couple of artillery units and slightly damage the infantry.

Update: Actually I think it was only three cruisers firing, the other two were stuck in a melee battle. They did a bit of damage but it was quite slow. All the same, my arty/infantry were doing negligible damage to them, so they would have won eventually, but it would have taken several days.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Joe Bentleigh ().

• That sounds totally wrong. A level 1 battleship has an attack factor of only 1.5 against infantry. Given that inf have 15 hitpoints, it should take you 10 hours or so to kill just ONE infantry unit. So you should have killed no more than about 6 units in 65 hours. That is about the number of units the 3 cruisers bombarding my infantry killed over about 3 days as well, and the cruisers also had a combined strength of 1.5.
    • Joe Bentleigh wrote:

That sounds totally wrong. A level 1 battleship has an attack factor of only 1.5 against infantry. Given that inf have 15 hitpoints, it should take you 10 hours or so to kill just ONE infantry unit. So you should have killed no more than about 6 units in 65 hours. That is about the number of units the 3 cruisers bombarding my infantry killed over about 3 days as well, and the cruisers also had a combined strength of 1.5.
      I guess the battles happen 4 times per hour, not 1.
      O beijo, amigo, é a véspera do escarro,
      A mão que afaga é a mesma que apedreja.
    • Well, I don't know, I ordered my ship to bomb the troops at 08:00 on the 20th of May and when I returned (21:00 of the 23rd(maybe it was more than 65 hrs, calculated wrong)) there were no troops left. I checked the newspaper and it said my battleship had wiped out an entire corps.
      The past is a foreign country.
    • Normally I've always gone by the Old Maxim that destroyers attacking land troops IS a waste of time (due to their lack of attack skills in that place under information), but recently I've had a stack of 8 destroyers take out two of my fighter interceptors while they were parked on an air strip (without a refueling countdown timer)!

So I don't know now if this has changed or perhaps only applies to certain unit types, but thought it was relevant enough to post here even now.

Said it First and Better ---->

Zarathustra wrote:

Cruisers will defend against attacking aircraft, and they can damage aircraft positioned at the bombardment target. They can not use their range attack against flying airplanes (patrolling or otherwise active).
      Disable Barracks and Lurk More!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Time4Alchemy: found relevant info ().

• To sum up:

Destroyers cannot damage ground units.
      Destroyers can damage air units, both passively (if they are patrolling overhead), or actively by bombarding an airfield with airplanes or rockets on it.

Cruisers can damage all units, but very slowly.

Battleships also can damage ground units, but at a faster pace. (you can guess why.)
    • darksoul111 wrote:

To sum up:

Destroyers cannot damage ground units.
      Destroyers can damage air units, both passively (if they are patrolling overhead), or actively by bombarding an airfield with airplanes or rockets on it.

Cruisers can damage all units, but very slowly.

Battleships also can damage ground units, but at a faster pace. (you can guess why.)
      Destroyers also cannot harm buildings, while cruisers can to a slight degree and battleships can demolish. The best use of destroyers is to sink unprotected convoys and protect cruisers, battleships, and carriers against submarines. Just thought I'd add that in there.