AI Overstacking Troops

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AI Overstacking Troops

Um, did anyone else notice in their games AI nations gather nearly all of their troops (to the point of overstacking) and putting them all in 1 city (usually the capital). I'm assuming the devs changed something about the AI's behaviours, and I'm asking because I've never seen it happen before...(Finland is inactive BTW)
      Have an amazing rest of your day ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

Need support? ---> Send a ticket here!

dxter's CoW Battle Calculator ---> Use it here!

:tumbleweed:

o7
    • cycle9 wrote:

Might have been left there by the former player.
      Most NPC will leave their capitals totally unguarded!
      Not true, since the size of the stack keeps changing.

Donk2.0 wrote:

Really? That's quite common in my matches. The AI chooses a certain city and decided to move 1/3 of their military there. IDK why, but it makes them a pretty easy target for atry.
      My point exactly ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

o7
    • No AI change was done.

Provinces have different values, by which AI chooses where to position their troops. For example urban provinces have a higher value than rurals, provinces with many buildings have higher value than those without, capitals have higher values, provinces at their border have a higher value (especially when at war), if it is connected to many provinces it has more value than provinces only connected to very few provinces.

If multiple provinces have similar values then its a bit random which ones the AI will choose.

Sometimes multiple factors align though, e.g. capital urban province with lots of buildings near a border.
    • Me and a friend wanted to attack the German AI from two sides. I placed a bunch of troops on the West, with battleships on the coast close by. All the German forces rushed West to crowd my border. My friend attacked from the East with fast units and took most of the country very quickly and with minimal casualties. Berlin was completely undefended. He now controls most of Germany, and I'm still looking at stacks of units in Duisburg and Cologne.
    • z00mz00m wrote:

Me and a friend wanted to attack the German AI from two sides. I placed a bunch of troops on the West, with battleships on the coast close by. All the German forces rushed West to crowd my border. My friend attacked from the East with fast units and took most of the country very quickly and with minimal casualties. Berlin was completely undefended. He now controls most of Germany, and I'm still looking at stacks of units in Duisburg and Cologne.
      RIP. Idk, AI is just random like that.
      Kind regards,
      Donk
      Bytro game addict and avid CoW player.

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• Donk2.0 wrote:

z00mz00m wrote:

Me and a friend wanted to attack the German AI from two sides. I placed a bunch of troops on the West, with battleships on the coast close by. All the German forces rushed West to crowd my border. My friend attacked from the East with fast units and took most of the country very quickly and with minimal casualties. Berlin was completely undefended. He now controls most of Germany, and I'm still looking at stacks of units in Duisburg and Cologne.
      RIP. Idk, AI is just random like that.
      Not completely. The AI will send troops to the borders where he's at war, who he dislikes, or where he sees a neutral building up a concentration. So zoom's "sandwich" idea is actually perfect: declare a war on one side, and he'll move his troops there to fight that war, leaving the other side hardly protected and easy to overtake.

Of course since he is AI and you apparently have your hands free, you could also just bomb him into oblivion. It isn't too hard to get 10:1 casualty ratings (newspaper) against AI when you can focus.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Totally agree on artillery, but I didn't have any artillery or air power yet, was too focused on ruling the seas. So I couldn't kill the AI without taking heavy losses. But my friend got the land for free, and was then able to pick off the AI one by one as they left their stacks.
    • randomperson0195 wrote:

AI can be weird like that, multiple times in my games ai made like 10 flying bombs/rockets and put them all in 1 city without an aircraft factory, kinda weird.
      They make a total mess of using an air force as well. They attack targets which aren't suited to them (strats attacking ground troops, for example), targets which are heavily AA protected or under fighter cover, and they can sometimes keep attacking a spot where a unit once was but has moved on since. Never quite figured out how that last thing works exactly, but bottom line, an air force in the hands of an AI is no bother at all.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • AI behaviour is very predictable.

Always, unless of some unforeseen circumstances, when you bomb an AI stack with arty, they will send at least one unit, usually an AC, to attack it. No matter what, even if there are a meat shield in front of it. And another thing, they always send their units one by one.

Lately, the behaviour is getting more unpredictable, sometimes in a good way, most of the time in a bad one.

o7