Introducing Generals

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Introducing Generals

Should Generals be a thing? 22
        Sounds... good... (8) 36%
        Play HOI4 instead you shill (7) 32%
        Idea is interesting but will be hard to implement and easily abusable (6) 27%
        No. (1) 5%
      :thumbsup: It's me again massive essay guy. I'll try to be concise today.

Anyone interested in opening the can of worms that is Generals/ Field Marshalls/commanders? They would be deployable and attachable to armies that would give selective units a buff in their branch at the sacrifice of another, ie this general gives a buff to motorised infantry speed but reduces infantry damage. Recruitable from a new Political tab, and deployable at the capital, generals on their own would be treated as an airplane convoy/transport ship and be as fast as the slowest unit in the attached army and would remain alive until their attached army is completely destroyed or they are taken out by military sabotage. Generals present in armies that successfully destroys another army, should receive experience proportionate to the units killed. Once enough experience is obtained they would receive slight buffs to their current traits. Let me know what you guys think ^^
      Make HWW all in, a staple gamemode :thumbup:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Nadda ().

• Something sorely missing from the game. I'd actually like to expand this even further, and add corps/army/army group levels to the game (several stacks under the command of one general / HQ) within a certain range (arty range for a prov, one prov for an army, several provs for an army group, something like that).
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • 6thDragon wrote:

I like the concept, but think it could be better if implemented similar to the supply drops, but spawn after a successful battle. I'm not sure about them leveling up, but it could be interesting if spies could then try to assassinate the generals.
      I feel like if they were included in supply drops it would make it quite random and reduce the strategic thinking/consistency, then again this might make it easier to implement for the devs.

As for levelling up I think it's a good way to reward players for keeping their units active and alive. And if generals were to have enough XP it would eventually compound and make them relevant in the late game.

For espionage it was my main thought that military sabotage spies had a chance to assassinate generals. Obviously this could be prevented/likelihood reduced if there was a counter espionage presence in the relevant province. Additionally, I would like to see intelligence espionage, have a strong likelihood of revealing just the general in the province. This would allow player's to see the general's buffs/debuffs and their level. A good way to predict what army could be attached, as well as trying to organise interceptions (Yamato comes to mind).

Also Also, thought I might clear up that generals in the air would be attached to the slowest fighter and could be revealed if intelligence spies were in the general's attached airbase.
    • Could be a nice addition to the game. If they are to be added though, generals should be just side dishes, complementary to the units they're overseeing and not the other way around. The buffs and bonuses they give should be minute, nothing ridiculous like double damage or full hp heal.
    • Z. Sakki wrote:

Could be a nice addition to the game. If they are to be added though, generals should be just side dishes, complementary to the units they're overseeing and not the other way around. The buffs and bonuses they give should be minute, nothing ridiculous like double damage or full hp heal.
      Oh yeah 100%, minor buffs and minor nerfs on units and they're add ons to a army group since they have no damage/hp themselves

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nadda ().

• General Michaelis wrote:

i voted no
      Because if this idea got implemented then generals basically wont be free
      and bytro will abuse F2p players more and more with higher advantages for those who pay
      So you're not even open to the concept of a new game mechanic because you're looking for a free service? Beside's blueprints, bytro hasn't made any units or gameplay function exclusive to premium currency, so I doubt if this was implemented you'd see it here. This input is simply not constructive.
      The elephant is the only land mammal that cannot jump.
    • one_leaf wrote:

So you're not even open to the concept of a new game mechanic because you're looking for a free service? Beside's blueprints, bytro hasn't made any units or gameplay function exclusive to premium currency, so I doubt if this was implemented you'd see it here. This input is simply not constructive.
      I mean the majority of people play this game because it's free and it's decent. so you should not be surprised that player will will want the game to be free??
      "I don't know jeff!"

Chris kamara
    • OneLeaf is saying he doesn't think Bytro will charge money for this (if it ever gets implemented).
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

OneLeaf is saying he doesn't think Bytro will charge money for this (if it ever gets implemented).
      Too be fair I think he means it won't be exclusive to paying customers. Maybe they will add a, god help us, a general pack in the store for paying customers. And players can still recruit generals separately or buy them with in-game currency.

Honestly if Bytro see's this as a lucrative venture and adds generals. It will still be a win in my books, as something fresh can open up so many possibilities.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nadda ().

• This concept reminds me of heroes in Travian. They had experience and leveling, mostly used to add percentage to army's attack and defense. It's been more than 10 years so I don't remember exactly, but I think that they became the most popular feature, with newer version focusing more on your hero than everything else.
    • Now if this was to be implemented ya think it should just be generic names for the generals like Tank general, infantry general, air general ect, or would there also be historical generals in the HWW as well like ya boy Rommel, Zukov and Patton? Also what would be the counter balance beside unit specific debuffs. Perhaps have a limit on the number of generals? And if one 'dies' you'll have to spend a day recruiting another?