Is being neutral a good strategy?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is being neutral a good strategy?

So I just started a game as the Soviet Union, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to not go to war with anyone and just build up. I have a really good economy and I was thinking this game I would just build up until I have like 500 units or something, and if someone declared war on me, I could just rush in and destroy them. Also, since Im neutral, nobody would know how big my army is, so when people invade me I will just wreck them. I also shared ROW with the AI so I could have better market trades to get more resources. Tell me what you guys' think about this!
    • yeah being neutral could be a good idea and since you are a big country it can be smart because you have no one to threaten you but 500 troops is a lot and if you make too many than you could start to lose some resources like food and oil, but i think you should invade smaller AI countries near you and maybe join a coalition. And a funny thing is that I am in you game as British India.
    • Not really a great idea... part of the game is building up your resource income by conquest as well. When you don't expand, people grow stronger than you (relatively) and they can just mop you up in the late game.

Also:
      - "nobody would know how big my army is" --> spies can tell them
      - "just rush in and destroy them" --> you'd have to do so through their conquered areas; they have more land than you
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • No. Just No the only way to win this game is to be agressive and take over that's literally the goal of the game.

plus your the USSR your economy is massive you can easily take over. if you were playing poland or Tibet I could understand this strategy but as the USSR come on man
      "I don't know jeff!"

Chris kamara

The post was edited 1 time, last by AMG Morgan ().

• If you're talking about the historical map, I've actually never tried those. My experience has been strictly on maps where everyone starts on a level playing field. It's important to draw a balance. I always wait a little. It's not a good idea to go on offense when all you have are defensive units. But early expansion is key. I always try to take an AI capital before the first day change so I can get the morale bump and productivity boost that comes with it. Then usually take another AI on the second day or build up and move into position so I can quickly overwhelm an active player opponent on day three.

If you wait too long, you'll lag behind everyone, but if you go on offense too early, you'll take heavy casualties and need to pause and rebuild (and be vulnerable to a counterattack).

Edit: another point, the newspaper always has generic military ranking. Plenty of players pay attention to these, so others will have a general sense of how big your army is.

The post was edited 1 time, last by 6thDragon ().

• Personaly I think you go straight ahead & invade other countries, create a buffer between you core provinces & conquered territory, you should also give all the ais that arnet in your imediate circle of influnce right of way to improve relations. After that I would say go to all the cities that produce metals & oil & add some industries & keep on upgrading them for when you decide to conquer another country but also add some industries for food & goodsm those drag in alot of money in the stock market for hardly anything
    • So obviously, you'll never win the game by being completely neutral. With that being said, there is an advantage that a lot of people overlook to taking your time. If you play it smart with regards to granting share map and ROW with the AI, as well as trade embargos before formal war declaration, you can keep a relatively high favorability that a lot of players throw away early in the game. Once those other players are large and stretched, AI will typically start attacking and stressing their system. If you wait until your enemies are "Most Feared" in the paper and then follow through with trade embargo(wait 24hrs) and then war, you'll actually soar in popularity with AI. Then you're well stocked with resources and have to worry much less about AI spontaneously attacking you.

The game can be won in several different ways, but this is the closest to "neutral" as you'll get, by playing with the limited political mechanics of the game.
      The elephant is the only land mammal that cannot jump.
    • AMG Morgan wrote:

No. Just No the only way to win this game is to be agressive and take over that's literally the goal of the game.

plus your the USSR your economy is massive you can easily take over. if you were playing poland or Tibet I could understand this strategy but as the USSR come on man
      Sure, the USSR has the best economy at the start but your military is very weak (Mostly militias and infantry and almost no armored units), you also have barely any research completed compared to other nations like Germany, and on top of that you have almost no buildings in most of your cities, so staying neutral is probably your best hope for survival early game as the USSR.
    • I already hit 200 units just by attacking AI and building tons of industries. Im planning on taking over all of Europe with the Soviet Union once Im stronger. There are no more active players in Eastern Europe so it should be a cake walk.
    • I’m doing good but all the ai is attacking me and it’s really overwhelming. Every time I log in a new country declared war on me. I have almost 350 units but it’s really overwhelming because I don’t want to attack all of these countries and when I beat them my line will be super stretched. I’m at war with all of the Asian countries including nationalist China and it’s really hard to beat them