Constructing Barriers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Constructing Barriers

Hey there. I'd like to add a minor suggestion of the ability to build barriers that have the ability to slow down advancing enemy armies. This would be realistic in the sense that in WWII there were plenty of barriers on the beaches, mines on roads, and whatnot.
      It could be a simple piece to build just called "Barriers" that slow enemies an additional 25% at Lvl 1, 50% Lvl 2, 100% Lvl 3. This could allow for overhead planes to spend more time patrolling/bombing, or artillery bombardment. This could also be more specific to barbed fencing(more effective against the infantry branch of armor). Or heavy mines that are one-time use for heavily armored units. To combat this type of defensive infrastructure it may place a higher emphasis on producing strategic bombers.
      The elephant is the only land mammal that cannot jump.
    • This feature has been explored before in a 'dragon's teeth' suggestion but I'm still happy to respond again.

My own view on this topic is for barricades to have penalties to all troops not just the enemy, that way players would have to make the decision to invest in defense at the expense of counter offence.

How barricades are damaged/removed should also be explored, should their be a dissemble feature that takes as long as it took to build?
      Can enemy bombardment damage barricades?
      Does the HP of barricades slowly reduce over time as we can assume the enemy would be clearing road?
      Will barricades effect the movement of troops in the whole province?
      Make HWW all in, a staple gamemode :thumbup:
    • I totally missed the 'dragon's teeth' post, but thanks for a thought provoking response!

I agree with the speed penalty to all, and if barricades are slowing, and infrastructure is helping to speed things up, it can allow for a more dynamic experience trying to manage particularly lengthy borders.

Personally, I would expect enemy bombardment to damage/removed barricades, similarly to bunkers and fortifications. I don't see a need for a dissemble feature as no other structures in the game allow for removal (unless it was implemented for everything, which is another food for another conversation entirely).

I would also expect the health of the barricades to be reduced similarly to the way any other building is when a province is taken over by another player.

It would be possible to select only a certain route within a province, similar to the way a port or naval base is positioned. I could see a benefit in this, but it would also be a handicap if barricades could only be placed on a singular route. Maybe if multiple routes could be selected this would be beneficial, but might also be unnecessarily complicated.
    • I dunno... we already have fortresses/bunkers, but how often do you use them? When I'm guesstimating, I'd say I build only one or two of them every tenth game or so, and more than two I've done maybe five times throught my 250+ games career. I also notice that people who DO build extensive fortifications usually don't win games. They're good stuff to defend in, really, but CoW is just not the kind of game where you can be succesful by standing around waiting for the enemy to come to you.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

I dunno... we already have fortresses/bunkers, but how often do you use them?
      I sometimes build fortress Lev1 or even Lev2 in the early game just in case someone invade my resources territories.
      That +30% gives you more time to react .
      The downside is that they quickly loose value when I start expanding.

Fortress Lev 3 hide your units and I have built them once defending Suez . If I found myself again in that spot I will build more Subs and Planes to attack.
      In the long term defenses alone are doomed.

As per Bunkers I build them in cities with resources I can't afford to loose .
      Again , just to boost units strength, and have more time to react, not as lone defense .

To me adding more Barriers is not so useful.
      You can use Militia for slowing down enemies, and they can hide too

Anyway, I am a noob :D
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

I dunno... we already have fortresses/bunkers, but how often do you use them? When I'm guesstimating, I'd say I build only one or two of them every tenth game or so, and more than two I've done maybe five times throught my 250+ games career. I also notice that people who DO build extensive fortifications usually don't win games. They're good stuff to defend in, really, but CoW is just not the kind of game where you can be succesful by standing around waiting for the enemy to come to you.
      I think they would add more options for skilled play and penalise the players who don't pay much attention. Think about the path finding, the units will automatically choose the fastest route, you are more likely to funnel units going down your route, allowing for more accurate predictions and better defensive placement when players go offline for the night.

As for bunkers I agree, they need a buff either a reduction in resources or construction time.
      Make HWW all in, a staple gamemode :thumbup:
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

I dunno... we already have fortresses/bunkers, but how often do you use them?
      I use bunkers and fortresses in larger games where I don't have many friends nearby and expect to get squashed. As for barriers/barricades, I see them as something that could be beneficial late-game when your territory is huge and you want to create pinch-points to choreograph a defense.

Honestly, I'm just looking for something to make a more dynamic approach to the defensive aspect of the game.
    • one_leaf wrote:

Honestly, I'm just looking for something to make a more dynamic approach to the defensive aspect of the game.
      You don't want to introduce static defenses for that; you need to introduce better features for mobile defensive play. I'm not really talking about motorized stuff; I particularly believe that the infantry branch should be buffed in the sense that it would be easier to produce large numbers of infantry (along with support weapons like AT and AA), which could be moved within your empire to buff defenses where they are most needed at any particular point in time.

On the other hand, most gamers enjoy attacking much more than defending, and most games accommodate that to provide a wide variety of offensive options and much less opportunities for effective defense. The real-world battlefield advantage of defense is overlooked or downplayed for the benefit of the player experience. This game is no different.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

one_leaf wrote:

You don't want to introduce static defenses for that; you need to introduce better features for mobile defensive play. I'm not really talking about motorized stuff; I particularly believe that the infantry branch should be buffed in the sense that it would be easier to produce large numbers of infantry (along with support weapons like AT and AA), which could be moved within your empire to buff defenses where they are most needed at any particular point in time.
      On the other hand, most gamers enjoy attacking much more than defending, and most games accommodate that to provide a wide variety of offensive options and much less opportunities for effective defense. The real-world battlefield advantage of defense is overlooked or downplayed for the benefit of the player experience. This game is no different.
      I like defense than attack.
      Although I love combat on withdrawal than defense.
    • Nadda wrote:

introduce the neutral doctrine lmao, defensive buff
      Remind me of Hattrick Coach : Offensive - Neutral - Defensive
      LoL

Choose an Offensive Coach and your team have a boost of 7.4% to your attack ratings and a penalty of 12% to the defence ratings.
      Choose the Defensive Coach and your team have a boost of 12.8% to your defence ratings and a penalty of 11.8% to your attack ratings.

Neutral has no effect on your ratings

Defensive Doctrine go to war like : " Ehi! We conquer the world staying home! "