Bringing all Troops out to Sea - Legitimate Strategy?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bringing all Troops out to Sea - Legitimate Strategy?

This is probably one of the more ridiculous strategy questions but it is a strategy that I have used at least twice before. Especially in Historical World War maps, where some countries simply aren't as strong as others, and when you know you're going to be invaded and overrun as soon as the round starts (I'm thinking countries like Poland), would you ever consider just sailing your armies out to the sea in hopes that you can live another day? Alternatively if you're locked in a 2 or 3 v 1 war and you know you're going to be destroyed. Would you consider this a legitimate strategy?

One of the times I used this strategy, I actually ended up coalition winning the war (see my Oman thread here, Oman Empire - All Nations All In). Just wondering if this is something other people have considered.
      It's been a while
    • This used to be something I did awhile back when I knew I was going to lose. I would send a militia unit to sea with a couple of naval units, and once I even took the coastline capital of the country to ruined me. Granted, this was over a year ago, and I think you lose the ability to place orders once all of your territory is taken. There's not really a chance for a comeback. Sometimes you might be able to get sympathy from a large country that will lend you a landlocked city of theirs' just to keep you in the game, but that's an unusual occurrence unless you have an alliance member in the game.
      The elephant is the only land mammal that cannot jump.
    • one_leaf wrote:

This used to be something I did awhile back when I knew I was going to lose. I would send a militia unit to sea with a couple of naval units, and once I even took the coastline capital of the country to ruined me. Granted, this was over a year ago, and I think you lose the ability to place orders once all of your territory is taken. There's not really a chance for a comeback. Sometimes you might be able to get sympathy from a large country that will lend you a landlocked city of theirs' just to keep you in the game, but that's an unusual occurrence unless you have an alliance member in the game.
      Oh really? I didn't think it used to be that you couldn't give orders once your territory had been taken. But I def could be wrong
      It's been a while
    • Based on my experience, having troops in the sea will make them vulnerable to subs and naval bombers. I love hitting transports with naval bombers.
      "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

"Diplomacy works with leverage!"

-Krieg Maker

"We can wage an attrition war forever with no goal, if one is found otherwise!"

-Krieg Maker

"The difference between flirting and diplomacy is that the former requires flattery, the latter requires assurance. Be sure to be in the position of power when trying to win through diplomacy!"

-Krieg Maker
    • Yeah, you need a province at least to stay alive. Of course if you have a large empire or some scattered islands or something like that this isn't a problem. And yeah you can wreak some havoc in the weak underbelly of those b*stards who killed you.

The other use case for this is to save k/d rating. When your enemy is much stronger and you know you won't be able to inflict significant losses while you have a lot to lose yourself, you just sail them into the North Pole or some other place where they're unlikely to be found, then archive the game and turning AI will do the rest.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.