Artillery only

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ItzK3ky wrote:

Is there any difference in the damage artillery does while shooting from a distance and engaging in direct combat? Because if no then why not just spam artillery (or mot. artillery, or rocket)? Since its pretty strong
      Thing is, artillery is slow. You almost always will need a meat shield in front of artillery stacks, which need to compose of militia/infantry, AT, AA, and possibly ACs. Artillery should always have at least 1 AA in the stack (SP with SP stacks), otherwise they are vulnerable to tactical bombers. Also, artillery have very weak defensive stats, so if caught in melee, they get destroyed very quickly.
      Have an amazing rest of your day ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

Need support? ---> Send a ticket here!

dxter's CoW Battle Calculator ---> Use it here!

:tumbleweed:

o7
    • ItzK3ky wrote:

Is there any difference in the damage artillery does while shooting from a distance and engaging in direct combat? Because if no then why not just spam artillery (or mot. artillery, or rocket)? Since its pretty strong
      An awful tactic, if I may say so. Despite this Reddit thread (reddit.com/r/CallOfWar/comment…fore_lol_he_is_producing/) this is not going to work.
      Firstly, artillery is quite weak anti-air. This also applies to SP anti-air
      Secondly, artillery is best used before a main assault to soften up the opposition before an infantry or motorised assault. They are quite rubbish for defence, particularly if an infantry unit sneaks up on them (as my latest game has shown, where my lvl.1 armoured car-motorised infantry stack of 50 HP defeated five enemy guns also of 50 HP — both Allied doctrine). Since their main advantage is their ability to engage from far away, they must have picket units ahead of them (preferably anti-tank or infantry, mechanised infantry if they are SP arty) to engage attackers, and also preferably anti-air or SP anti-air stacked to defend from aeroplanes.
      Thirdly, artillery (even including rocket artillery & railway guns) don't use equal amounts of each resource. Sooner or later you're going to have massive surpluses of at least one resource. This is clearly wasteful and most of it could be used to make other units, including aircraft.
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lord Crayfish ().

• Lord Crayfish wrote:

ItzK3ky wrote:

An awful tactic, if I may say so. Despite this Reddit thread (reddit.com/r/CallOfWar/comment…fore_lol_he_is_producing/) this is not going to work.Firstly, artillery is quite weak anti-air. This also applies to SP anti-air
      Secondly, artillery is best used before a main assault to soften up the opposition before an infantry or motorised assault. They are quite rubbish for defence, particularly if an infantry unit sneaks up on them (as my latest game has shown, where my lvl.1 armoured car-motorised infantry stack of 50 HP defeated five enemy guns also of 50 HP — both Allied doctrine). Since their main advantage is their ability to engage from far away, they must have picket units ahead of them (preferably anti-tank or infantry, mechanised infantry if they are SP arty) to engage attackers, and also preferably anti-air or SP anti-air stacked to defend from aeroplanes.
      Thirdly, artillery (even including rocket artillery & railway guns) don't use equal amounts of each resource. Sooner or later you're going to have massive surpluses of at least one resource. This is clearly wasteful and most of it could be used to make other units, including aircraft.

This is very redit.

My god its like they avoid putting the ART in the hills.
    • Heinrici wrote:

Lord Crayfish wrote:

ItzK3ky wrote:

An awful tactic, if I may say so. Despite this Reddit thread (reddit.com/r/CallOfWar/comment…fore_lol_he_is_producing/) this is not going to work.Firstly, artillery is quite weak anti-air. This also applies to SP anti-airSecondly, artillery is best used before a main assault to soften up the opposition before an infantry or motorised assault. They are quite rubbish for defence, particularly if an infantry unit sneaks up on them (as my latest game has shown, where my lvl.1 armoured car-motorised infantry stack of 50 HP defeated five enemy guns also of 50 HP — both Allied doctrine). Since their main advantage is their ability to engage from far away, they must have picket units ahead of them (preferably anti-tank or infantry, mechanised infantry if they are SP arty) to engage attackers, and also preferably anti-air or SP anti-air stacked to defend from aeroplanes.

This is very redit.
      My god its like they avoid putting the ART in the hills.
      I swear half the people on Reddit can't even play the game properly. You use armoured cars on plains, not arty!
      That said, this is an AI player.
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks