Call of War 2.0 Preview

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Please keep the legacy client. It's much more UI friendly. I've been using the legacy client for years and the switch to beta if I must will be very uncomfortable. I tried it today and the legacy client is so much better. Bigger buildings in the province tab is just one example of how it is better.
    • I know many of you like the current legacy version. But we are not going to keep it, sorry guys :/ Please rather try playing with the new version and give us concrete feedback so we can improve it. I am sure that many of you will get used to it after a while.
      We actually had similar situations in the past, for example when we exchanged the Canvas 2D map with the WebGL map. Feedback was similar, but now it is the version that nearly everybody likes. So it all worked out in the end. Change is always difficult, but we will also make it work this time.

33323993 wrote:

in the beta version does not have the option to view the map with relations or morals of provinces? Was that then removed? I'm playing the beta already, I couldn't find it there.
      It still has all the view options as in the old version.

pod_than wrote:

After switching to the beta version, I tried to access the game by launching a browser ( Chrome ) on my smartphone.
      But then the rounds I had already participated in were not displayed.
      So I switched back to the legacy version again and then tried to access the game by launching the browser ( Chrome ) on my smartphone again, but also the round was not displayed.
      I didn't recognize it as a fatal problem because I could access it in someway app version, but it was a very unpleasant situation.

By the way, I am Japanese people, so I usually set my account language settings to Japanese.
      After switching this setting to English, when I performed the operation explained below, the access itself was successful for some reason.
      When the home screen interface is displayed, the earth-like widget or icon is not normally displayed on the far right, but I pressed this switched from the home screen interface to the game interface.
      It is a bit hard to understand the issue correctly, sorry. If you still have the problem, please use the support link to get help. Not possible to help individual players in the forum.

BrutusTrump wrote:

The beta client lags so I can barely play on it a lot of the time.
      Maybe you can try switching to the low graphics mode if your encounter lag. The low graphics mode also looks still similar to how it is now.
    • New CoW 2 , my personal opinion here, is not bad but

why I have to get used to an uglier / less readable version if can suggest an improvement?

Destructo the Great wrote:

just use beta yall will get used to it

Again, just my personal taste maybe, but

in my opinion, fonts are too small and in many tabs the background makes them even less readable.

Images of selected units need to be a little bit bigger
    • freezy wrote:

I know many of you like the current legacy version. But we are not going to keep it, sorry guys :/ Please rather try playing with the new version and give us concrete feedback so we can improve it. I am sure that many of you will get used to it after a while.
      We actually had similar situations in the past, for example when we exchanged the Canvas 2D map with the WebGL map. Feedback was similar, but now it is the version that nearly everybody likes. So it all worked out in the end. Change is always difficult, but we will also make it work this time.

33323993 wrote:

in the beta version does not have the option to view the map with relations or morals of provinces? Was that then removed? I'm playing the beta already, I couldn't find it there.
      It still has all the view options as in the old version.

pod_than wrote:

After switching to the beta version, I tried to access the game by launching a browser ( Chrome ) on my smartphone.
      But then the rounds I had already participated in were not displayed.
      So I switched back to the legacy version again and then tried to access the game by launching the browser ( Chrome ) on my smartphone again, but also the round was not displayed.
      I didn't recognize it as a fatal problem because I could access it in someway app version, but it was a very unpleasant situation.

By the way, I am Japanese people, so I usually set my account language settings to Japanese.
      After switching this setting to English, when I performed the operation explained below, the access itself was successful for some reason.
      When the home screen interface is displayed, the earth-like widget or icon is not normally displayed on the far right, but I pressed this switched from the home screen interface to the game interface.
      It is a bit hard to understand the issue correctly, sorry. If you still have the problem, please use the support link to get help. Not possible to help individual players in the forum.

BrutusTrump wrote:

The beta client lags so I can barely play on it a lot of the time.
      Maybe you can try switching to the low graphics mode if your encounter lag. The low graphics mode also looks still similar to how it is now.
      When I got up and tried it again, it was fixed.
    • Who cares if the icon is ugly. Just get rid of rares. This resource used to be needed for research, and it made sense that way in v1. Doesn't make as much sense in the current version. It's just another resource, and it's an unbalanced one at that. Metal Oil Goods Food. It's enough. Adding a weird fifth element doesn't improve the game.
    • freezy wrote:

The thing is that CoW was not winning anymore, as it was not able to gather new players as well as it used to. We had the same situation in our other game Supremacy 1914. We overhauled all graphis and UI there as well, and afterwards we were able to grow the game a lot (even more than CoW nowadays). We believe that the modern graphics will help us do the same in CoW. We want it so stay relevant and up-to-date in the strategy game market.
      @freezy this is more likely down to the fact that this game is ruined by unregulated gold use and players are getting sick of it, and that game developers (including yourself) think that you know best, rather than listening to your players, and what the players actually want.

I used to play this game a lot, it was great, until gold users and constant crappy updates (that nobody asked for..!) kept being implemented. I keep checking back in to see if things have been fixed, but disappear when I realise they haven't.

Players are not asking for UI revamps, in fact they are specifically asking to keep the current UI options... stop wasting time on things that we haven't asked for... and start spending time on things we have asked for (new units, limiting gold use, etc.) - or you will find CoW is not only not winning, but it will be lost.
    • ryanb96 wrote:

freezy wrote:

The thing is that CoW was not winning anymore, as it was not able to gather new players as well as it used to. We had the same situation in our other game Supremacy 1914. We overhauled all graphis and UI there as well, and afterwards we were able to grow the game a lot (even more than CoW nowadays). We believe that the modern graphics will help us do the same in CoW. We want it so stay relevant and up-to-date in the strategy game market.
      @freezy this is more likely down to the fact that this game is ruined by unregulated gold use and players are getting sick of it, and that game developers (including yourself) think that you know best, rather than listening to your players, and what the players actually want.
      I used to play this game a lot, it was great, until gold users and constant crappy updates (that nobody asked for..!) kept being implemented. I keep checking back in to see if things have been fixed, but disappear when I realise they haven't.

Players are not asking for UI revamps, in fact they are specifically asking to keep the current UI options... stop wasting time on things that we haven't asked for... and start spending time on things we have asked for (new units, limiting gold use, etc.) - or you will find CoW is not only not winning, but it will be lost.
      bruh beta client UI is so much better than the legacy client
      But your right that players want new units and new maps
      知己知彼,百战不殆
      :00010164: :00008172: :00002178: :00002047: :00000156: :00010180: :00010317:
    • Destructo the Great wrote:

ryanb96 wrote:

freezy wrote:

@freezy this is more likely down to the fact that this game is ruined by unregulated gold use and players are getting sick of it, and that game developers (including yourself) think that you know best, rather than listening to your players, and what the players actually want.I used to play this game a lot, it was great, until gold users and constant crappy updates (that nobody asked for..!) kept being implemented. I keep checking back in to see if things have been fixed, but disappear when I realise they haven't.

bruh beta client UI is so much better than the legacy clientBut your right that players want new units and new maps
      NEW UI sucks a lot!!! Icons for resources and buildings are very bad!!! I am wasting a lot of time now in Beta client to understand what buildings are in my cities!!! ICONS SUCKS!! Make bigger like in legacy!!! ALSO make bigger text info!!!! I show in screenshot!!! prnt.sc/x4JNhVYHN0jP
    • Feel free to bookmark this post and link to it when someone wants to understand our reasoning for doing this change:

ryanb96 wrote:

[...]
      We look at statistics that players do not have access to, to make these decisions. Your hypothesis does not hold up if we compare CoW to S1914. In S1914 we have exactly the same monetization model as in CoW (and the same complaints about it), and much less units and content than in CoW, nevertheless S1914 has outgrown CoW since 2022. So the monetization or amount of content cannot be the issue here.
      The difference is, that in S1914 we introduced the new clients a while ago, that we now also introduce to CoW. After we introduced the new clients in S1914 we were able to market the game much better, and have grown the userbase of the game by a magnitude. So our data suggests that the new clients work much better, and we hope to see a similar positive effect in CoW. Our goal is to make CoW into our biggest game again, and hopefully also into one of the best online strategy games available.

We are only theorycrafting here though. In the end the numbers will show us if we are right or wrong. We will definitely release the new clients, so we will just have to wait and see. Based on the numbers we will do adjustments.

We will also read all the detailed feedback and specific suggestions in order to improve the clients further, so that we can make them a place where most players feel comfortable.

We will also work on new content in future updates, the delopment of the game will continue.

SteelAss wrote:

This will not get more players to the game. It is sad you guys are dumb enough to think that if you change the hole game, more people will join..You will see that there will be leaving many players now because of this terrible change. Good luck. I made it to Brigadier General. Now im out.
      Same explanation as above. Our data and experience of past updates in this game and our other games suggest strongly that modernizing the look and feel of the game will help us attracting more players, and that most of the existing players will get used to the new look. This is backed by data.

Just some examples:
      - 3 years ago we replaced the Canvas 2D map look in CoW with the WebGL 3D map that you see currently in the game. This update has sparked alot of criticism in the beginning, but meanwhile nearly all of the current playerbase has grown fond of the current look. I am sure the same will be true with the new look that we will soon release.
      - 3 years ago we have also replaced the CoW1.0 balancing & mechanics with the CoW1.5 version. This update has sparked alot of criticism in the beginning, but meanwhile nearly all of the current playerbase has grown fond of the current balancing and mechanics.
      - 3 years ago we have also replaced the whole UI and maplook in S1914. This update has sparked alot of criticism in the beginning, but meanwhile nearly all of the current playerbase has grown fond of the current look. It also helped us to grow the game, the current userbase of S1914 is multiple times bigger than what it was before we updated the UI.

You probably see a pattern here.

There is also an additional reason for doing this change:

With this update CoW and S1914 and IO1919 (3 of our games) will all run on the same client. This makes developing and porting features much faster, and it also reduces the maintenance and QA overhead. This will enable us to work on more updates and content in the future.

Btw. we are really sorry if some of you don't like the new look. There is not much we can do besides promising that we keep working on it and hoping that you will get used to it. We will improve it with your feedback!
    • ValeraZol wrote:

NEW UI sucks a lot!!! Icons for resources and buildings are very bad!!! I am wasting a lot of time now in Beta client to understand what buildings are in my cities!!! ICONS SUCKS!! Make bigger like in legacy!!! ALSO make bigger text info!!!! I show in screenshot!!! prnt.sc/x4JNhVYHN0jP
      Thanks for the feedback, we are still tweaking some things. But there is already a quick workaround to anyone who has trouble reading texts etc:

Just increase the zoom in your browser window. This will make all icons and texts bigger. Usually the browser's zoom options are in the menu in the top right corner, e.g. in Chrome the + and - butons. Attached are screenshots how the game looks with 100% browser zoom and 125% browser zoom. I hope this helps.
      Images
      • zoom settings.PNG

50.36 kB, 439×250, viewed 2 times
      • zoom100.jpg

602.54 kB, 1,918×970, viewed 10 times
      • zoom125.jpg

508.83 kB, 1,920×967, viewed 10 times
    • freezy wrote:

ValeraZol wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, we are still tweaking some things. But there is already a quick workaround to anyone who has trouble reading texts etc:
      Just increase the zoom in your browser window. This will make all icons and texts bigger. Usually the browser's zoom options are in the menu in the top right corner, e.g. in Chrome the + and - butons. Attached are screenshots how the game looks with 100% browser zoom and 125% browser zoom. I hope this helps.
      CHange the 3 icons for resources that i noticed upper. They sucks. New maps graphic is oldschool but icons for resources are like from a child game or cartoon
    • This may be difficult for people to understand, but Freezy is totally right when he says UI updates bring new players. These are the folks who see an ad for the game, and decide to play if it looks cool. When a game looks boring/dated, they don't even try. Doesn't matter if it's the best game in the world. It has to look cool, or it will not get new players, and it will be replaced by inferior games that make nice screen shots. That's just how the game market works.

New client UI will keep happening. Don't be bothered by it. Focus on the substance, and let's try to improve the actual game play. This is what keeps us coming back.

For example:
      I'm playing the Homefront map, and invading an AI. Every city I take is building a level 5 tank factory. The country did not have a strong military before I invaded. Their best unit is a Medium tank, level 1. They don't need level 5 tank factories anywhere. They don't need any tank factory in most of their cities. I see noobs do the same thing, build 2-3 factories in every city, even though they don't have the resources to make units, partly because of all the factories. The AI just needs simple, common-sense limits to its decision making to make it competitive. This AI country would have been a lot more fun to invade if all those factory resources had been invested into infantry, AT guns, AA guns, and artillery.

The post was edited 1 time, last by z00mz00m ().

• I've been playing the game 4-5 months a year for 6 years. This new upcoming version, 2.0, is a completely simple version, and it doesn't suit the game. However, I can say that my eyes are already used to it. It would be nice if the old one stayed, but the innovation is good, don't look at the toxic players.
    • freezy wrote:

Hey guys! In general I want to point out that we will of course check all the feedback and do improvements to the new client even after the release. I am sure we can make it the best possible client to date with everyone's help. :)

Destructo the Great wrote:

can you add new units in Call of war 2.0? Examples like assault ships move really fast, can carry troops and short embarking time? Or you could upgrade convoy trucks so they have more health?
      New units won't be included in the CoW2.0 update, but they are a possibility in the future. Of course we will expand on CoW2.0, so new content can be expected at some point. But first we will focus on improving the UI. :)

SteelAss wrote:

ValeraZol wrote:

New graphics suckS!!! I am quiting game atfer that forever and never return!!! Let legacy client alive or bye bye!!!
      Never change a winning team! The changing ruin the game for me too

Railtwo wrote:

Please don't get rid of the low graphics legacy client. It's simplest graphics are what makes this client so much better than the high graphics beta client. I can't stand the beta client about to become the norm.
      The low graphics map mode will remain. It will change slightly but the overall simplicity will remain. This only relates to the map appearance though, the UI will change in any graphics settings.

Average_Luz wrote:

Looks like the beta client, please don’t get rid of legacy client I really liked it
      We will get rid of legacy, sorry :/ I hope you will be able to get used to the new ones.

33323993 wrote:

@freezy

Hello, I want to make a suggestion, on the map we have the option to show the relations and morals of provinces, they could put the heat map option for relief, I use external maps for that, if I had a serious game of great use.

Thanks for the suggestion!
      Well the reason COW is not winning is not because of graphics at all. I can give out the main reasons: P2W, lack of new features, and bad marketing. P2W is not the way to go, or at least the current method. It simply displaces the balance of the game by too much. Any Ads on TikTok are usually shunned because the game is p2w. I propose that skins and extra maps in game can be the solution to this rather than any money effecting actual gameplay. Secondly, the lack of improvements to the game. Tbh the player base has been suggesting hundreds of changes over the years, proposing new units, strategical depth, and new maps. Yet has it been applied? NO! Instead there is only focus on graphics. The key proponent of keeping any game afloat is new content. Without new content you might as well consider the game dead. Lastly the marketing is ridiculous. Present it in a more attractive way rather than the current one because it is complete cringe.