Call of War 2.0 Preview

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Looked at the js file,I can see the images and gifs before ui processed it, which is interesting.
      But may be this an act that violates some rules?
      ↓ According to article 6 paragraph 1 in this URL,
      callofwar.com/index.php?id=274

( first part omitted )
      …“ 参加者はWebサイトとの接続に際して、ゲームの機能や運営に干渉する可能性のあるいかなる手段およびメカニズムやソフトウェアを利用してはならない。参加者はBytro Labsの技術上の許容能力に対して容認できないレベルまたは過度な負荷をかけるようないかなる手段も利用してはならない。”…
      ( rest omitted )

Participants must not use any means, mechanisms or software that may interfere with the functionality or operation of the game when connecting to the website.
      Participants shall not use any means that would impose an unacceptable level or undue load on Bytro Labs' technical tolerance.

Strictly interpreted of this article, if someone access the referenced image file from outside the game system──especially my matter of concern is pasting the URL to the unofficial wiki now, I'm worried about one possibility of over-interference.
      And the rule infringement...

The post was edited 2 times, last by pod_than ().

• Sk4 wrote:

Hello

I have been a player since 2016

It seems that I don't benefit from the new graphics, I still have the old version concerning the map. ??!
      The new map graphics were postponed, we will release hem in the Second part of the CoW2.0 update in several weeks.

Maximecorvo96 wrote:

Howdy, do you think you can bring back unit photoes it added a great deal of fun to see different doctrines units. now it just shows the generic unit image. oups juste notice the option for historical photoe my bad great game btw.
      You have a toggle button there, you can switch between 3D render and historical photo.

ThisIsNotGrandEmpire wrote:

Why did the Historical Image option change from 'full cover' to a weird small 'taped photo' version... I know it's a small detail but for someone like me with OCD it physically hurts
      Because all historical photos have different aspect ratios. First we tried to make them full screen of the panel but for a lot of photos edges were cut off wih important details. That's why we decided to not make them full screen so that the full photo is always visible.

halom44 wrote:

how about looking after your current player base? this new ui is just a quick reskin of s1914 and could have been something new. GIVE us an option to switch back to 1.5 ui. this update is going to lose your long term player base real quick.. so what is more important keeping long time players or getting new ones who only play one game then quit?
      We are looking after our current player base. We believe that after some time most of the current playerbase will have gotten used to the new UI and like it. We saw those reactions already from beta players. The new client offer also lots of new convenience features that players will enjoy.
      Also, by using the same client in all of our games we can develop features much faster, which will benefit the current player base in the long run, because we can introduce more cool stuff. And by attracting more new users the game's lifetime will also be much longer, thus offering you the game also in the future.
      We have to do both, keep old players AND get new players. Our numbers will tell us how this will be going.

Osmobolz wrote:

the new version is unplayable from the browser on the smartphone. all too small, both the writing and the keys. you are about to lose a player, not in protest, but precisely because he is unplayable.
      The new version is perfectly playable, we had many players test it, and it is live in our other games for years already without any problems. If here are particular concerns we can of course work on them and fix them (need specific examples and screenshots though). There is also a workaround: You can adjust your browser's zoom settings, this will make everything bigger.

TheRedMenace wrote:

t
      Literally, how the developers thought it was okay to do what they have done to the PC Call of War experience is ridiculous.
      The new clients were already proven in our other games, where they work like a charm with no complaints. After playing with the new layout for a while I also like it much more than the old version. We got similar feedback also from beta players who didn't like it at first but now like it. So everything points towards this only being a "get used to it" problem. The new client was on beta for a long time, and on desktop everyone including live users could have checked it out to give feedback since months. So no one can say this was rushed or that they didn't have an opportunity to check it out beforehand and give feedback.

Hegemon zero wrote:

The underlying game is a good one thats why we are all here. All we are asking for is a choice for the ui is that realy 2 much to ask for?
      Offering multiple clients at the same time drastically increases the work load in maintaining both of them (develop new features for both of them, QA test in both of them, making bug hunting harder etc), so we are against offering 2 options at the same time. We rather spent that time on improving the new client with the help of your feedback.

rdy2rocknroll wrote:

I hope the new map gets you the new players you will need to replace the old players that hate it.
      So far we see no drop in amount of players or other key metrics. So we will see how many players really quit over this. I think most players will actually be used to it after 1 week, and that in 2 weeks this whole thing will have settled.
      But yes, in any case new players will come in as well. The best case scenario is of course that we can attract more new players while also keeping most of the current players. Any predictions here about this in the forums will be moot, because in the end our numbers will reveal how this is going and we will make adjustments based on these numbers.
    • freezy wrote:

TheRedMenace wrote:

t
      Literally, how the developers thought it was okay to do what they have done to the PC Call of War experience is ridiculous.
      The new clients were already proven in our other games, where they work like a charm with no complaints. After playing with the new layout for a while I also like it much more than the old version. We got similar feedback also from beta players who didn't like it at first but now like it. So everything points towards this only being a "get used to it" problem. The new client was on beta for a long time, and on desktop everyone including live users could have checked it out to give feedback since months. So no one can say this was rushed or that they didn't have an opportunity to check it out beforehand and give feedback.

Well freezy I'm very glad to hear you like it at least, I'm sure that'll also satisfy everybody else's concerns with the new client. The jump from 1.0 to 1.5 was a lot less drastic than this and was done a lot better, the current client is so blatantly made for mobile not PC and just isn't as smooth or pleasant to use as the past one. It's nice to know that your response is essentially "Screw you guys and your concerns, just get used to it and stop complaining because we're going to ignore you". The way you have spoken to us, many of us years long fans of the game, is incredibly disappointing.
    • <p>1.When you click on a unit, there's no indication that the unit is from a AI, Active Player or Inactive Player, like there was before, there would be a green or red, showing active or inactive</p> <p>2. Also when you click on a unit, it’s doesn’t say when is getting bombed or is going to bomb other units. Also it don’t have text with info, only icons, with is harder to see the unit information.</p> <p>3. When you open Unit info, it have less info than before, it doesn’t say which units can reveal stealth units.</p> <p>4. Spy report don’t have X button to close, you have to close it on the same icon on the other side of the screen.</p> <p>5. When you open someone’s Profile, the stats graph in bars were way better than this circular, also now show the stats of the current match, not from the whole stats. It showed the flag of the countries you were at war, now you have to open a bigger window to see them. There was rank position, match played, now is all hidden on a different window, having to open the call of war website, instead of being fast and easy like it was before. </p> <p>6. When I click on a Player Rank, instead of opening the profile, it open this useless chart showing the ranks exp needed.</p> <p>7. All the windows are bigger now, it need to be scaled down. Message window is so big, can only see one message at a time. Coalition window also too big, can only see 1 country at a time. Province window can be sized to the sides, but one downwards, can only see 3 provinces at a time.</p> <p>8. Most of times when you double click on a unit it don’t select all of the same units around</p> <p>9.When you click on the resources on the top of the screen, it opens a useless view windows instead of opening the Market.</p> <p>10. The configurations had more map options, to see regions by Moral or but each country with a different color. And it was an easy button on the side of the screen.</p> <p>11. Day timer should be on the top right like before.</p> <p>12. Journal Rank is cutting the top of the list and showing first from my position, have to click on “Show all” to see whos on top. The whole Journal is too big.</p> <p>13. This chat dialog, keep showing up on the screen, have to minimize it every time.</p>
    • Freezy.

I'm sorry but I'm on my 124th game in 6 years and the ergonomics of the 2.0 PC is a regression compared to the 1.5. Have you ever played this game on PC ? Because, I don't know a single PC player yet who likes this new version...

You all simply put mobile phone format on PC gameplay. You therefore sacrifice all the well-being of players who only play on PC.

Even if your numbers are better in the future, that's not why you made the right decision with this version, it just means that you reached a wider audience regarding mobile phones... elsewhere many products do this, but often at the expense of quality. And sorry but I don't spend my whole life on this game, I saw the news only recently.

I refuse to believe that it is a change for the ergonomic good... but rather I believe that it is economical like any profitable business. Where this game stood out precisely for its ergonomics, it now looks more like its competitors.

There are lots of points that are completely sloppy compared to the old version... Like the display of resources, the new icons, the lack of visibility of the menus... in short, there is a nice page to write this version is so inconsistent with the old one.

This is only a personal opinion but I have not yet met a player who appreciates this version, we all make the same observation or almost.

Sorry for my English, I use the translator.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sk4 ().

• Hear me out, Freezy will ignore all complaints (2 pages+ worth) they want to “Modernize” Call of War, most of the community hates this update yet none of the highers are listening to us or saying something like “Sorry, deal with it.”
      The 2.0 update is horrible, it’s very confusing for new players and the icons suck even though moss said they’d prob change it soon.
      Spread this: #BringBackLegacy
      Average_Luz
    • freezy wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

This is probably the stupidest question in the world, but how do you get there? When I press Settings, al I get is this:

gyazo.com/7d54423506d932b344d763b3be4117ff
      Are you talking about the province list layout option? That is only for mobile, since you mentioned that you have trouble seeing all provinces on mobile, I posted instructions how to activate old province list layout on mobile. There is no such option on desktop (your screenshot is from desktop mode).
      Missing from this feature are, however:
      - The option to display all provinces (not just the cities), which is needed for building local industries and recrtuitment centers;
      - The option to sort on manpower, which is the easiest way to put your core cities on top of the list (it is also useful for building recruitment centers in provinces btw).

As an aside, I wonder how new players would ever guess that they need to click on "classic view" to get get a list that is actually useful... but hey, you guys probably thought long and hard about that!
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Some other feedback:

- When you want to check out a player and see his historical k/d ratio and such, this is shown in the "main menu of the site" view which means the actual game you're playing is closed. Now I'm smart enough to use the "back" button on my browser which works fine, but I can imagine not all people do that and are irritated that they need to go back to the main page and load the game again...

- As someone else already mentioned, the actual game opening in a new tab of your browser was very nice and the main page remaining open was a very nice feature in the past, so sad it has gone now.

- Two clicks to go from province view to "declare war" button is one too many, please return the old way of going to diplomacy screen directly (and to player view from there)

- I really actively dislike the unit detail overlay. It opens with a bunch of numbers which are either incomprehensible (what on earth does it mean that the average damage of an armored car is 2.0? The average between light armored and unarmored attack values? But if so, why is an AA listed as 1.3?) or a complete open door (the roles - duh!), while you need to freaking SCROLLL DOWN to go to the actually useful information: the damage tables against various target types, and the speed and combat bonuses in various terrain types. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it so that this vital information is displayed without the need to scroll!!
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

I really actively dislike the unit detail overlay. It opens with a bunch of numbers which are either incomprehensible (what on earth does it mean that the average damage of an armored car is 2.0? The average between light armored and unarmored attack values? But if so, why is an AA listed as 1.3?) or a complete open door (the roles - duh!), while you need to freaking SCROLLL DOWN to go to the actually useful information: the damage tables against various target types, and the speed and combat bonuses in various terrain types. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it so that this vital information is displayed without the need to scroll!!

This is a big one, agree completely.

It's like someone tried to make the game less "nerdy" and more "accessible" by summarizing what a unit is for:
      "Build this to attack things, because it does pretty good damage to enemies."
      But this is a game of numbers, and it's all about unit stacking, matchups, and proper use of terrain.
      When the UI tries to steer in a different direction, it's not making the game more accessible.
      The UI needs to be true to the game.
      I get what the designers are trying to do, making it more tactile and RPG-like, but it's not a good fit.
      Looking at the UI as a board gamer, I can see front+back sides of cards arranged vertically.
      It's cool in a way, and it would be nice in another game, but it simply does not fit CoW.