Rockets/Flying Bombs are BROKEN!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rockets/Flying Bombs are BROKEN!

Sorry for the double post but I just found out that this is the proper forum to post this.

Last week, I made flying bombs. I sent about 6-7 at a stack of moving units. No damage done. I thought Oh ok they must have shot it down idk I'm sorta new to this!

Today, I made rockets, I sent 1 at a moving group of units. NO DAMGAGE absolutely ZERO damage done. What's going on? I know from past experience that rockets were OP and always did damage no matter if they were moving or whatever and from what I understand they cannot be shot down. Has anyone else experienced this?
      Why is this happening?
    • You could never really "hit" moving targets with rockets. Sometimes if the rocket is close enough and the target is slow enough, it will remain in the blast radius and take some damage. But that's not an effective use of rockets, even in the best case scenario. So if you're asking this question, you're doing it wrong.
    • Rockets aren't very useful in general anymore, they don't even do their own cost in damage to the enemy, and that's only IF you score a hit. When you use it, target buildings with it; but in all honesty, it has become a very marginal unit for which it is hard to find a use case since 1.5.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • ... which is as it should be. Rockets were not a big part of WW2. Other than the resource cost Germany sunk into researching and producing them, and the related opportunity cost of resources not used for more impactful units like planes and submarines. This is exactly how it's turning out in the game, which is completely correct and as it should be.

If you've got a hard-on for rockets like Hitler did, you deserve to lose the war like Hitler did ;)
    • The most effective use of rockets is to hurt enemy economy. The best stats of rockets are their damage vs province morale, (they are actually the best units in that besides nukes). On later levels its enough to drop 2 rockets on an enemy core city to bomb it down to a low morale number. It then has a chance to revolt, its resource and unit production rates are crippled and you also destroyed some buildings in the process.

Another great use is to damage key buildings, like airports, in specific provinces. Since rockets cannot be shot down you have guarenteed success.

Only as last resort they should be used against armies.
    • I think the reason why they aren't used much, is because it is too problematic and vulnerable to get into a launchable position. Days of getting them to the front, then hours of driving at really low speed to the final airstrip to launch. Remember air is usually contested in the stage of the game when they REALLY become available, and their range is good but not GREAT so you often have to launch from an air base within enemy plane range, which is a recipe for suicide when you have to get offline.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

I think the reason why they aren't used much, is because it is too problematic and vulnerable to get into a launchable position. Days of getting them to the front, then hours of driving at really low speed to the final airstrip to launch. Remember air is usually contested in the stage of the game when they REALLY become available, and their range is good but not GREAT so you often have to launch from an air base within enemy plane range, which is a recipe for suicide when you have to get offline.

Agreed.

Rockets may be good at dropping morale, making a city unproductive, but it's impractical to get them close enough to the enemy's core.

For this reason, I consider rockets a defensive weapon. They are a good way to kill a stack of transports disembarking on your shore. Or to kill a stack of bombers refueling at a forward air base.

Railroad guns have a similar problem. Too slow for use on offense... if you're winning, and the front line is moving :D but if you need to hold a mountainous choke point, a stack of railroad guns and AA units can be costly to dislodge.
    • freezy wrote:

The most effective use of rockets is to hurt enemy economy. The best stats of rockets are their damage vs province morale, (they are actually the best units in that besides nukes). On later levels its enough to drop 2 rockets on an enemy core city to bomb it down to a low morale number. It then has a chance to revolt, its resource and unit production rates are crippled and you also destroyed some buildings in the process.

Another great use is to damage key buildings, like airports, in specific provinces. Since rockets cannot be shot down you have guarenteed success.

Only as last resort they should be used against armies.
      FREEZY!! Whats up? When do we play a game together? lol
    • z00mz00m wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

I think the reason why they aren't used much, is because it is too problematic and vulnerable to get into a launchable position. Days of getting them to the front, then hours of driving at really low speed to the final airstrip to launch. Remember air is usually contested in the stage of the game when they REALLY become available, and their range is good but not GREAT so you often have to launch from an air base within enemy plane range, which is a recipe for suicide when you have to get offline.
      Agreed.

Rockets may be good at dropping morale, making a city unproductive, but it's impractical to get them close enough to the enemy's core.

For this reason, I consider rockets a defensive weapon. They are a good way to kill a stack of transports disembarking on your shore. Or to kill a stack of bombers refueling at a forward air base.

Railroad guns have a similar problem. Too slow for use on offense... if you're winning, and the front line is moving :D but if you need to hold a mountainous choke point, a stack of railroad guns and AA units can be costly to dislodge.
      Hmm Interesting on the Railroad gun defense. Hasn't happened to me to need that but I like the idea.
      I have used them to defend a port city though lool
    • Something to consider in all this "Defence" strategy brainstorming session.

The ONLY reason you are on Defence... is because someone has Destroyed the player between you and them... and went through their defences and is now eyeing yours !

If you are on defence... you are losing!

No one ever has won a match playing defence. You have to attack to win this game!

"The Best defence is a good offence" is an adage used in football game but most often attributed to George Washington. He knew what he was talking about. When he sent Benedict Arnold and the other guy to attack Canada, by not sending his GOODest Offence, the Frenchees quickly handed him a righteous can of whi-pass a on the Fields of Abraham in Quebec City.... and sent those poofy hat Yanks back home for tea time with the missus.

Lesson here is don't mess with the Frenchees.... even our last minute defence is better than anyone's half-arzed offence... but nothing stops a GOOD OFFENCE... (yeah.. that's where I was going with that)

But.. not to derail this topic....

Rockets have lost their "Whizz-Bang" wonderment in these updates... they used to be broken... and unrealistic in their ability to take out Airfields and mess up Air-power... (in a completely unrealistic way that NEVER took place during WWII)

Now.. rockets are much more realistic... the reality being that of the more than 10,000 rockets (of various improved kinds) Germany fired at UK, they averages less than one fatality per rocket. They were more a weapon of FEAR than actual damage.

Current damage more accurately reflects actual Rocket achievements than it did previously.
      General Maximus Decimus Meridius - "Are you not entertained?"

The post was edited 1 time, last by OneNutSquirrel ().

• I would also like to mention that the cost-benefit of Rockets is actually still not that bad. For example a rocket lvl 4 deals 30 damage to units, so it could take out an Infantry lvl4 or Light Tank lvl2 in one hit. Rocket lvl4 costs 21% more than the Light Tank lvl2. BUT: You can surprise your enemy and decide when to strike, which is worth something. ALSO: You additionally deal damage to province buildings and province morale (36%). The damaged units do not absorb that damage. So ideally you hit that unit in a city and take out one building with it and lower the province morale. For example that rocket lvl4 with its 40 building damage can take out 1.5 levels of a building, which usually cost around 2/3 of the rocket cost. So if you add up the damage dealt to the unit, to the building and to the province morale (thus lowering resource / unit production rate), then the economic damage you dealt could actually be twice as high than what you paid for the Rocket. In the ideal case you also hit some airbase with this and ground all the planes, then it may even be multiple times worth than what you paid.
      So I guess its all about timing and striking the right target in the right moment to make it worth it.
    • OneNutSquirrel wrote:

Something to consider in all this "Defence" strategy brainstorming session.

The ONLY reason you are on Defence... is because someone has Destroyed the player between you and them... and went through their defences and is now eyeing yours !

If you are on defence... you are losing!

No one ever has won a match playing defence. You have to attack to win this game!

"The Best defence is a good offence" is an adage used in football game but most often attributed to George Washington. He knew what he was talking about. When he sent Benedict Arnold and the other guy to attack Canada, by not sending his GOODest Offence, the Frenchees quickly handed him a righteous can of whi-pass a on the Fields of Abraham in Quebec City.... and sent those poofy hat Yanks back home for tea time with the missus.

Lesson here is don't mess with the Frenchees.... even our last minute defence is better than anyone's half-arzed offence... but nothing stops a GOOD OFFENCE... (yeah.. that's where I was going with that)

But.. not to derail this topic....

Rockets have lost their "Whizz-Bang" wonderment in these updates... they used to be broken... and unrealistic in their ability to take out Airfields and mess up Air-power... (in a completely unrealistic way that NEVER took place during WWII)

Now.. rockets are much more realistic... the reality being that of the more than 10,000 rockets (of various improved kinds) Germany fired at UK, they averages less than one fatality per rocket. They were more a weapon of FEAR than actual damage.

Current damage more accurately reflects actual Rocket achievements than it did previously.
      Lots to dissect here.
      There are many reasons to be on the defense.
      1) You just landed somewhere and most troops have not landed yet.
      2) You are attacking somewhere else and you get sneak attacked.
      3) You are away, like real life ( I run a business, so stuff like that) so you are attacked offline
      4) You did not want to attack a certain country before doing other things, but got declared on.
      5) You purposefully setting up a defense to chew his attacking troops up
      Though I agree you cannot win a game by playing ONLY defense, there is a time it is useful.
      I do agree a good offense eats a good defense.
      I am from Quebec, the Plains of Abraham battle was a disaster from the get go. Attacking uphill with very little visibility, etc However, modern warfare and Muskets era battles are totally different. Planes and artillery (long range) are game changers .. as is armored vehicles
      And the French do not have a stellar war record in modern warfare.
      As for rockets, at some point, this is a game and the designers are out to balance units as well. You know, for fun.

Cheers on the engagement on this topic