How do you deal with revolts?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you deal with revolts?

I keep finding myself having to send troops all around in circles to conquer and reconquer provinces that revolt at the day change. I know building propaganda buildings won't increase the speed of the morale, but am I missing something about how to keep the morale up? Or do you just focus on the capital/cities and not worry about rural provinces? Or (and I hope it's not this) do you just have to leave an infantry or something in each province you capture within a certain window of the day change?
    • You've basically got 3 options for the first day change after capture:

1) Best option: capture a capital as close to day change as possible. This will give a 10% morale boost which bumps all previously-captured provinces, which have 25% morale, above the 30% revolt threshold (except for rare cases like when a captured province has been bombarded post-capture and has less than 25% morale).

2) Leave garrisons. I actually prefer to either leave a full garrison (that eliminates revolt chance entirely) if I'm leaving a garrison at all, just because having a single troop stationed there is incredibly annoying if that province still revolts. You can tell if there's a revolt chance because the province will have red stripes.

3) Take your chances. If you're not really worried about it, you can continue to push the front forward and have a cleanup crew behind to recapture any revolted provinces. As noted above, this is much easier if only the provinces revolt and there aren't garrison troops that also revolt.

After the first day change, propaganda centers can help. They do cause morale to increase faster, just not by the full percentages (i.e. a PC that boosts target morale by 10% doesn't result in a morale that's 10% higher than it would be on the next day).
    • 1 and 2 are preferred options. 3 is really not a good option. Why?
      - When the province revolts, it can go to a neutral country. You can't even take it back.
      - Every time you re-take a province, you destroy more structures, making it less useful.
      - Losing a province can mess up travel routes for reinforcements. This can cost you dearly in a close conflict.
    • Well, there are days when you're just no able to take option (1), no matter how well you planned or how hard you fought. When that's a day that you took 50 or 100 provinces, garrisoning them all really isn't an option. So you have to go for (3) anyway.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • KurtCobain11 wrote:

Thanks for the helpful responses!

when you say a full garrison, does that mean like 10 troops? I had thought that just one would eliminate the chances of a revolt.
      My experience is that if you have at least 1 militia in a province/city that should keep down all rebellions as long as your core provinces/cities have high morale. If that drops then your remote territories are harder to keep under control, meaning more units needed.
    • KurtCobain11 wrote:

Thanks for the helpful responses!

when you say a full garrison, does that mean like 10 troops? I had thought that just one would eliminate the chances of a revolt.
      I mean full as in whatever is required to get the province above the rebellion threshold (so it is no longer red). In most cases two basic units will do the trick (infantry, anti air, militia, whatever). Sometimes one unit is enough, rarely do you need more than two unless they're at partial health.
    • It depends on the fighting strength of the unit, adjusted for health and terrain modifiers.

For example, an AT gun (city bonus) can keep a city from rebelling, while you may need 2 AT guns in the open plain. A single AA gun or artillery piece (hills bonus) can keep a hills province from rebelling.

But if the unit is wounded, watch out. You may need more, as its adjusted strength goes down. The only way to know is hover (or tap, depending on UI) the morale popup for the province.