Add some method of measuring distances

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Add some method of measuring distances

I'd love to see a method of calculating or estimating distances within the game. This most commonly pops up when I'm building a network of airbases but I'm sure could be handy elsewhere. Usually I try to approximate it with IRL objects held up to my phone or computer screen, but multiple times I've built airbases thinking they were properly distances only to find out one was like 2km too far and my planes couldn't make the flight. To avoid that sometimes I'll wait until planes arrive at a base so I can see their range, then build the next base, then move them to that base, then build the next... but that's incredibly slow and tedious.

It could be as precise as showing you exact distances between two points (e.g. province centers when you're building airbases) or could just be a scale display in the bottom right that adjusts as you zoom in and out which could help with approximating distances.
    • what the game does need, and a lot, is the trayectoria correction of the rockets, they are a mess, they always end up without hitting the targets
      they are beyond worthless because of that
      if by seeing the target, lets say for example with an armored car, and the already attacking rocket could change slightly its trayectoria so that it does impact correctly
    • 6thDragon wrote:

K.Rokossovski taught me this trick. When the unit is in airplane mode (not convoy for refueling) and you are on desktop, click on the unit, select move, then hover over the province center. A dotted line "circle" will appear as the flight range for that particular unit.
      Since the focus of the discussion is accuracy, it is nonsense for only the circles to appear.
      What the thread starter is talking about is the need to imform the user whether the radius of the circle "exactly" represents a certain "value".
      Too extreme case, the focus is on whether the radius is 274 or 275.

But the logical minimum information is to imform any user in advance whether the distance is enough to release any optional action of the target including a unit, so I think that the function to display the distance itself might not always be necessary.
      In order to implement this function, ultimately, the system should have "if divided" internally, so the system should always store the distance information though.‥

The post was edited 3 times, last by pod_than ().

• Yea I use that trick sometimes, but it only works on PC. It's nearly impossible on mobile since you can't hover, and it seems like they're making a push to accommodate mobile users more so hopefully there's some mechanic we can think of to make it easier on mobile. I literally hold IRL objects like paper clips and shit up to my phone screen to try to measure distances
    • Improin wrote:

what the game does need, and a lot, is the trayectoria correction of the rockets, they are a mess, they always end up without hitting the targets
      if by seeing the target, lets say for example with an armored car, and the already attacking rocket could change slightly its trayectoria so that it does impact correctly
      Affirmative.
      " The army and navy might not be so severe, " however I can't believe your response regarding also air power is exactly.
    • There's apps for this as well, for example this one:

apps.microsoft.com/store/detai…ZDNCRDHVFG?hl=en-us&gl=US

and many more.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Improin wrote:

what the game does need, and a lot, is the trayectoria correction of the rockets, they are a mess, they always end up without hitting the targets

1 million times NO, please.

A rocket attack powerful enough to damage a brigade or division size formation?
      With enough precision and steering ability to keep up with a random change of direction?
      That's technology invented in the past ~50 years, at the latter end of the Cold War.
      Nothing like this was available in WW2, Korea, or even Vietnam.
      We're talking 1980's and if we're talking 1980's then I'd prefer to talk about airplanes and ships.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

There's apps for this as well, for example this one:

apps.microsoft.com/store/detai…ZDNCRDHVFG?hl=en-us&gl=US

and many more.
      I think that the current discussion falls into a context close to the concept of "collision detection".
      By the way, this concept is said "当たり判定" in japanese though...
      Referd to the description on the page of the app you introduced, it can only be interpreted as a guarantee of visual accuracy only.
      In an extreme instance, even though it doesn't look like that at all in visible, if it actually reaches the unit's range then that measure meets him and my demands.
      On the other hand, the app seems very useful and helpful in other uses.
      Thanks.
    • z00mz00m wrote:

Improin wrote:

1 million times NO, please.

A rocket attack powerful enough to damage a brigade or division size formation?
      With enough precision and steering ability to keep up with a random change of direction?
      That's technology invented in the past ~50 years, at the latter end of the Cold War.
      Nothing like this was available in WW2, Korea, or even Vietnam.
      We're talking 1980's and if we're talking 1980's then I'd prefer to talk about airplanes and ships.
      well, maybe that is too much
      but what about being able to manually trow the rocket to a place where there is no enemy, but you know more or less that they will be there when the rocket impacts?, I don't like the part that I can only target provinces and units, it would be better If you could target the place where you think that the enemy will be
    • jubjub bird wrote:

Yea I use that trick sometimes, but it only works on PC. It's nearly impossible on mobile since you can't hover, and it seems like they're making a push to accommodate mobile users more so hopefully there's some mechanic we can think of to make it easier on mobile. I literally hold IRL objects like paper clips and shit up to my phone screen to try to measure distances
      Actually, there's a way for mobile. When using the move command, you can disable the "skip command confirmation" and use the green button in the right and use the dotted circle to know which provinces will have an airfield.
    • 6thDragon wrote:

K.Rokossovski taught me this trick. When the unit is in airplane mode (not convoy for refueling) and you are on desktop, click on the unit, select move, then hover over the province center. A dotted line "circle" will appear as the flight range for that particular unit.
      I've been doing this for five years now but I just don't seem to get used to the app. It's pretty much only for emergency situations and moving naval troops.
      Kyrie Eleison
    • soymex wrote:

The bottom left part.

xOrleans wrote:

6thDragon wrote:

I've been doing this for five years now but I just don't seem to get used to the app. It's pretty much only for emergency situations and moving naval troops.
      Used that method, it is nonsense the following cases.
      Assumption : You want to start building a waypoint "simultaneously" to a point "probably" 10 times the range of your unit.
      Make sure the distance between the 4th and 5th airports or airbases is less than the unit's range.
      Should you add building an airport or airbase?
      Or not?

________?
      ________▼
      _1_2_3_4_5_6_7_8_9_10 times
      1_2_3_4_5_6_7_8_9_10_11 buildings

The post was edited 6 times, last by pod_than ().