Healing camps

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I always send my damaged troops back to the capital (out of habit) and build new ones as replacements. You have to understand that everything can not be free as that would doom the game (the light bill has to be paid). I have seen several games that I enjoyed be discontinued so I do not mind supporting games (within reason). It seems to me that this suggestion of healing troops is just a way to not spend gold, the alternative is to continue to build replacements, if I was to recommend a way to faster healing I would put it back into the capital.
    • I pull my units back from the front sometimes as well (improves the K/D ratio when they don't die).. and Air units are expensive so worth pulling them back for a few days and get 45% of their damage healed, then put them on clean up duty for enemy stragglers wandering around the map.

But I do believe, this is perhaps the single largest Gold Sink in game (I've got absolutely no evidence to support it) but seen too many units at 100% health after they just left combat to believe otherwise... and that's a difficult thing for a for-profit company to give up.

Yet.. for all the discussions about Healing Units.... Depleted units and shortages of Riflemen to replenish such units were common enough that operations were being postponed, and some almost cancelled because of this problem. As new recruits were getting difficult to secure from the USA, the US War Department brought forward a plan by mid-late 1944 to start reinforcing infantry units with coloured men pulled from other areas. This idea go so much push-back from high command that it ended up on Eisenhower's desk because some below though it would be an "embarrassment for the War Department" if they allowed black men to fight along whites in regular units without regard for race.

The shortages of fighting men became social changing concerns at the upper levels of the military.

So perhaps having damage units and being unable to quickly bring them back up to full strength is not that far off form what actually happened.
      General Maximus Decimus Meridius - "Are you not entertained?"
    • OneNutSquirrel wrote:

freezy
      Could the same mechanic that distributes Hitpoints among units of same type and Lvl, be used to bring hitpoints to an existing stack.

right now... if I have a Lvl 1 Taco, at 50% HP, and I stack it with another lvl1 Taco at 100% HP, then split them... they both walk away at 75% HP.

Could a "Field Hospital" / "New Recruits" unit be sent out... and whenever it gets put in a Stack, it distributes it's HP to the units in that stack. As for how much damage does each unit get... use the same algorithm that decides Damage Distribution during combat. Even treat it as Negative Damage distribution, like getting hit by Arty fire and receiving HP instead of taking damage. if someone wants the Field Hospital to apply HP to specific unit(s), they'd have to Separate them from stack and direct the Field Hospital to that unit(s) separately from the rest.

Could be called a Field Hospital or Reinforcements.

So many of the mechanics might already be in game to make such a unit possible?
      This also sounds like a nice solution indeed. In terms of internal mechanics it is not as straight forward though because right now only the HP of the same unit type & level merges. Righ now we cannot overwrite with which other units a unit shares its HP. So using a reinforcement unit to distribute its HP to all units in the stack is a completely new mechanic that needs to be coded. But the other hospital/medic suggestions also need to be coded, so none of the solutions is for free. If this topic eventually finds its way into the roadmap in the future we will certainly look at all the different suggestions again and see which ones are more feasible from a code standpoint and fit best into the overall CoW design.
    • What if a field hospital was in effect... a Railroad Gun type stationary building... which shots "healing bullets" at units like Cupid and his bow... just less passion and more Hit Points. Units in range get dealt negative damage to them each tick.

A Stationary "Artillery" piece with a 200 km range... any friendly unit within range gets "shot' and negative damage (healing) applied. The longer the unit spend in range... the longer it keeps getting it's "Shots"

It would limit how many units can benefit at any one time... and each level upgrade allows it to shoot an additional target (splitting fire) and/or "shoot" at greater distance.

City Hospitals upgrade up to Lvl 5 while other provinces would only upgrade to Lvl 3

Each shot would do 0.25 HP of healing
      So a unit spending a complete day under a Lvl 1 Hospital would get up to 6 HP back in a day
      while under a Lvl 5.. as much as 30 (wonder if that's not overpowered) (Though a stack with 300 hp could get almost 40 HP back at day change under current mechanics... though it's distributed among many units... not concentrated on just a few)

Perhaps limiting Units with <80% as only ones which can benefit (can be targeted) from the hospital.

This would also have to be an expensive building... AND I would make Industry of equal level to be built as a prerequisite. So must have Lvl 5 Industry complex before you can build Lvl 5 Hospital.
      And territory moral would directly affect healing strength of the "shots" ... so if moral at 50%, each shot only give 50% of healing benefit
      General Maximus Decimus Meridius - "Are you not entertained?"

The post was edited 4 times, last by OneNutSquirrel ().