What's up with Airplane Convoys

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's up with Airplane Convoys

Can someone explain why an airplane that goes into convoy mode isn't easily destroyed?

So I am on the attack and I have broken through my enemy's front line positions. I am sending out Armored Cars to capture territory. I come on a province with an airfield and an airplane on the ground. As soon as I reach the center of the province, the territory changes possession and the airplane goes from being on a runway to a convoy.

It takes literally 2+ hours to destroy the unit. It gets a benefit of being "airplane" for damage purposes opposed to Infantry Icon.

Therefore, I sit there and only do 2 pts of damage every turn opposed to completely destroying the unit in one attack. Any aircraft sitting on the ground being attacked by a maneuver unit should be wiped out. Same thing goes for when they go into truck mode and are driving around. They are considered a soft target and should be easily killed.

Anyone want to tell me what the logic is?
    • Airplanes in transport truck form are actually light armored, the unit stats show that. So you use the anti light armored attacking damage of your Armored Car. It only shows the air icon on the map so players can easier find their planes.

We do not want any unit stack to be wiped out in 1 attack by a single combat unit, so that mistakes are not super punishing. If you want the fight to go faster you have to send more than 1 unit, or stronger units than an armored car. In terms of realism: Even a grounded aircraft and its crew can still fight back, they are not completely unarmed.
    • freezy wrote:

Airplanes in transport truck form are actually light armored, the unit stats show that. So you use the anti light armored attacking damage of your Armored Car. It only shows the air icon on the map so players can easier find their planes.

We do not want any unit stack to be wiped out in 1 attack by a single combat unit, so that mistakes are not super punishing. If you want the fight to go faster you have to send more than 1 unit, or stronger units than an armored car. In terms of realism: Even a grounded aircraft and its crew can still fight back, they are not completely unarmed.
      If there is anything warfare has taught us are that cooks and mechanics and clerks don't fight all that well...

But to the point of not making it so punitive, I kinda get that...the whole point of the game is to exploit vulnerabilities so they shouldn't put up such a long fight when matched up one on one, like hours worth...