Splitting a stack after being attacked by indirect fire

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Splitting a stack after being attacked by indirect fire

Can someone verify for me what is happening?

I wake to find out I have a stack of 5 destroyers and it is being attacked by 5 battleships from a distance using indirect fire. Knowing I am overmatched, I attempt to get out of his range. I decide to send my five destroyers in 5 different directions with the thought that only one of my ships will take damage and the rest can escape with more damage.

But when the 30 min time comes around for an attack and the enemy fires it volley, it appeared to me that all of my ships take damage even though none of them are together anymore. Did this really happen and can someone explain why?

Also, I could swear that there are times my unit gets out the range that an indirect fire unit can shoot only to take damage when it is their turn to fire. Is it because when they initiated the attack they were in range? Please help me understand so I can fight for efficiently!
    • One factor could be that the Ships have Different Ranges at which they can still hit... so just because you've moved your DD and the BB is out of your DD firing range... You could still be in the BB range of fire and have the DD take damage.

The Destroyers can't reach the Battleships... but the Battleships can still reach the Destroyers.

That's the only scenario that comes to mind right now.
      General Maximus Decimus Meridius - "Are you not entertained?"
    • Must be something different cus I've played Peeka-Boom with BB's before and having target have only the stack I wanted hit in range when they Tic... then Pop the stack I wanted safed back into range to fire and scoot away...

This might be something different... but harder to do with different range ships...

And I think BB is 75km range
      General Maximus Decimus Meridius - "Are you not entertained?"
    • I was hit with a strange glitch a few months ago where I had a unit of arty get stuck in melee and I quickly had a stack of melee units join the stack, but for the rest of combat only the original arty units took damage. Three combat ticks went by and the melee units took no damage at all, it was all concentrated on the arty.
    • When a unit is completely destroyed by overwhelming artillery fire, the remainder of the damage output can hit different units. I don't know the exact circumstances of this and how that excess damage is distributed to other units (though I never saw them hit anything out of range), but I think this was done to prevent players from splitting stacks to make enemy artillery less effective and offer "decoy" targets which were about to die anyway.

Something weird happened a few days to me as well... I was fighting a big enemy doom stack including artillery. I stayed out of his range with my own arty, then sent a damaged militia forward to die of the enemy shot. Then my own arty advanced, but I suddenly noticed that next time I looked, the enemy attack timer was NOT at 28m minutes or something like that, but at only about one minute. I never seen that happen before, but it happened twice in a row and I'm absolutely shure my observation wasn't flawed. So yeah there's some artillery bugs going on, or maybe this works as designed and we don't understand the design? @freezy could you comment?
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

When a unit is completely destroyed by overwhelming artillery fire, the remainder of the damage output can hit different units. I don't know the exact circumstances of this and how that excess damage is distributed to other units (though I never saw them hit anything out of range), but I think this was done to prevent players from splitting stacks to make enemy artillery less effective and offer "decoy" targets which were about to die anyway.

Something weird happened a few days to me as well... I was fighting a big enemy doom stack including artillery. I stayed out of his range with my own arty, then sent a damaged militia forward to die of the enemy shot. Then my own arty advanced, but I suddenly noticed that next time I looked, the enemy attack timer was NOT at 28m minutes or something like that, but at only about one minute. I never seen that happen before, but it happened twice in a row and I'm absolutely shure my observation wasn't flawed. So yeah there's some artillery bugs going on, or maybe this works as designed and we don't understand the design? @freezy could you comment?
      That one-minute count down timer has been around as long as I can remember. Like you said, if there is extra damage after killing a unit, the one-minute timer starts before that damage is applied. It gives you a chance to choose a new target, if you want. This is just for the remainder of the damage, not full damage.

This is to prevent your decoy tactic. Of course you could still use a version of this. For instance, if you saw an enemy stack of regular arty, instead of sending your tanks at them as a rush, you could send in some infantry first as regular arty does less damage to unarmored targets.

The post was edited 1 time, last by 6thDragon ().

• K.Rokossovski wrote:

I always thought that's just how it's supposed to be, that If your attack annihilates an army, the timer is set at 1 min instead of 30.
    • Heh, learn something new every day...!
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.