Research Queue for Premium Accounts

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Research Queue for Premium Accounts

This got mentioned in a discussion about Building Queue for High Command / Premium Account members... surprising It never made it into it's own Suggested Feature.

Link to Building Queue thread

Just like the Building Queue, should be able to add two more slots, and when one research finishes, the next in queue begins.

Simple, mechanics already in the game. It would be a huge benefit for players who support CoW financially. A feature which in no way breaks anything or unfairly give some sort of advantage to Premium Accounts.
      General Maximus Decimus Meridius - "Are you not entertained?"
    • I remember asking for this at some point, years ago...

Didn't seem like a big deal to add, as you explained, the mechanics are already there.

What would be even cooler is a queue that ranks items across construct/build/research items, so I can decide what gets priority for the resources I'm running short on.
    • Sorry I meant that in response to your comment about desiring a way to rank items, yes if research queue becomes a thing it should definitely be part of the build queue system.

One thing I also would have liked is the ability to queue a production while the research is still ongoing, so if it were to finish in the middle of the night I'd still be able to get that unit producing before waking up.
    • jubjub bird wrote:

One thing I also would have liked is the ability to queue a production while the research is still ongoing, so if it were to finish in the middle of the night I'd still be able to get that unit producing before waking up.
      NOT being able to queue units being researched makes sense to me... Research was never a guarantee that an improvement would be made... so planning to build some theoretical unit doesn't make sense.

I don't recall any theoretical units going into pre-production (factories built, product lines and assembly lines done before the ink was dry on the finished draft... not that the research stopped.. it didn't happen that way)
    • Game used to have Nuclear Battleships and Nuclear Aircraft Carriers... Both were cut recently because they were historically inaccurate and didn't show up till over a decade after the war ended.

A little historic accuracy is why we're here... otherwise we'd be playing 1914 or some Medieval game with knight and catapults or flying a space ship.

Whole point is for the unit/building/ability to resemble in some way a WWII event/occurrence/unit so it fits in with the WWII theme.
    • It's perfectly logical to start upgrading a tank factory knowing the researchers are finishing the design of a new medium or heavy tank. And to start setting aside resources and manpower knowing that the country will be producing a lot of these new tanks, in preparation for the next offensive.

This is called strategic planning.
    • z00mz00m wrote:

It's perfectly logical to start upgrading a tank factory knowing the researchers are finishing the design of a new medium or heavy tank. And to start setting aside resources and manpower knowing that the country will be producing a lot of these new tanks, in preparation for the next offensive.

This is called strategic planning.
      You are describing upgrading an existing process, which happens all the time. Factories get retooled all the time, hence your Armour Factory can build AC, LT then can switch to MT or TD at the drop of a hat. Yet even here, if you've ever worked in a processing or manufacturing facility, the process is ALWAYS without exception: Discovered FIRST, then Put into Scaled Production SECOND.

Never has it happened the other way around.

jubjub bird wrote:

One thing I also would have liked is the ability to queue a production while the research is still ongoing

Show me a single example in the history of mankind, any time, antiquity to present, where a factory of production facility was built for an item that had NOT been yet discovered.

You discover something... then you mass produce it. There is not a single exception to this process in mankind's existence.

What jubjub is describing is "Chewing and swallowing... then putting the food into your mouth"... doesn't work that way.

The post was edited 1 time, last by OneNutSquirrel ().

• "Discovery" isn't some binary event where you go from "knowing nothing" to "knowing everything". Surely when something is halfway "discovered" you could start to plan to produce that something. I'm not saying that production should be start-able before research is done, just that production should be queued to start once research is done. Literally the exact thing that a human player would do if they were awake to get the notification that their research had completed, just that now it's possible even if you're offline thanks to the queue.
    • Exactly.

Think of research like this. The tech that is available to you right now is already obvious. The basic research was done long ago. Now you just need to fine tune the fuel injector. Fix the exhaust issues. Fix the jamming gun. Improve the range of the radio. Most of the components are already in production. You're not really discovering anything new.

The tech that's many days away is less well understood. You have an idea that you should be researching rocket tech if you want an ICBM one day, but you're not making immediate plans to build them.

So yeah, putting things in the queue that depend on research is fine. You're setting aside resources to ensure those things get priority, so they get done ASAP.