Adding a reinforcement stack to an ongoing defence

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Adding a reinforcement stack to an ongoing defence

In my current game I was defending with a stack of around 13 mixed infantry/tank versus 13 mixed. His stack was a fair bit better in composition (more tanks versus more infantry) but it was urban, and losses were not far different after the half hour and one hour intervals.

Then I brought in a stack of 5 tanks to reinforce. The trouble was, in addition to him defending versus the new attack, his stack then proceeded to lash out at my original stack for a bonus round of damage. All of a sudden, instead of losing units evenly he was really putting it to me. I compounded the problem with a second stack of 5 infantry so now when that stack entered the fray, the opponent's forces lashed out versus my first 2 stacks in addition. Then on his attack versus my original stack he got to do damage versus my reinforcements.

I was left with the feeling I would have done better NOT to reinforce my original stack. In any case I certainly should have waited for the 5 inf to catch up to the 5 tanks and make a 10 stack.

It sure was a humbling experience. Was what I thought I was seeing what I was supposed to be seeing?