CoW 2.0 - Part Two

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CoW 2.0 - Part Two

CoW 2.0 - Part Two

Attention, General!

The long wait is over! Finally the brand new CoW 2.0 map textures are here! We have redesigned all of the terrains in Call of War. With this rework we want to give you the feeling of commanding your troops through realistic terrain, drawing inspiration from military maps of the time.
      Whether you fight an infantry melee in the mountains, bombard an enemy strongpoint with artillery or plan an ambush from a forest hideout, the new textures will make it look more spectacular than ever before.

The army details window also features new artwork. The artwork will change depending on the unit composition of the army. So make sure to do an inspection of your armies and check out their new, improved looks!
      We’ve also improved the options in the map filter menu. You can now toggle unit sprites and labels on and off. This will allow you to customize your map view to your preferences. Additionally we’ve added filter options to only show friendly units, neutral units, hostile units or even a mix of all those options. These changes give you more clarity on the tactical situation while leading your troops into battle.

We’ve also fixed a lot of bugs! When a coalition leader goes inactive, the coalition leadership is now correctly handed over to the next active player. Players will no longer be able to teleport their planes from a patrol mission directly back to the airfield, as teleportation technology is not yet available. Additionally we’ve fixed multiple issues that caused units to display the wrong arrival time in the army bar.

For a complete overview of this update, please check out the detailed Release Notes and share your feedback with us right here on the Forums and on our Discord Server.

We wish you best of luck on the battlefield!

Your Bytro Team
      Discord: Call of War
      Facebook: Call of War
      Twitter: Call of War
    • This is going to take some getting used to. The map really doesn't differentiate between terrain much anymore. When I look at this, hills and mountains look identical, as do forests and plains. I have to click on individual provinces to see what type of terrain it is.

I've checked the map filter options and it doesn't give me the option to differentiate between terrain types. Not sure about most players, but terrain factors pretty large into my tactics.

You can't tell the difference between core and non-core anymore either.

I wish they would stop trying to fix what isn't broken.

My concern is how often I check in on the game in the middle of the night when I have an active game. I like to be able to quickly differentiate between things while still half-asleep. If I have to spend too much time figuring out what everything is, it'll make it harder to fall back asleep. Yes, I know I should focus on sleeping at night, but you have no idea how often my insomnia has paid off during a game.

The post was edited 3 times, last by 6thDragon ().

• -I don't like the country colors, they're so bland that i can't tell the differences.
      -People told me off when i suggested that the roads are too thin, now the borders are so thick that you can see them from the Moon
      -The black box under the city name is unnecessarily big.

I know i'm old but i could swear that every change nowadays is for the worse.

ps: oh and please fix the loading issue already <3
    • A lot of respect for the team, but please stop trying to change what isn't broken.
      My eyes can't keep up with the new map style, the terrain is undistingable. I have to make an effort to understand what's going on in the map, it's not practical at all. Please give the option to turn back or put more map styles available, I thinking of quitting this game because of this, unplayable for me.
    • Not a fan so far. Comments on the mobile version:

+1 to having a hard time distinguishing between mountains vs hills and forests vs plains. I guess mountains have a slightly darker shade than hills? But both forests and plains have trees, so I guess it's just a proportion thing? Its hard to tell. Increasing the density of trees in the forest provinces would help. Maybe darken the mountains a bit further to distinguish better from hills. Provinces on the border of mountain ranges or forests seem to have some of everything in them and I guess we'll just have to click on those to see what terrain they've been given.

Also, when zoomed in it's hard to tell ally vs own province--the green shade is a bit too subtle.

I guess I'll be using low graphics mode from now on even though I absolutely hate it.

Edit: Attaching example to show the subtle green shading and the difficulty distinguishing terrains at the edge of a mountain range (the owned provinces from top to bottom go hills, hills, mountain, plains, but I wouldn't know that for sure without clicking them)

Edit2: nevermind, phone screenshots are too large to upload and I don't feel like messing with it. Take my word for it.

The post was edited 3 times, last by jubjub bird ().

• Thanks for the feedback so far.

6thDragon wrote:

This is going to take some getting used to. The map really doesn't differentiate between terrain much anymore. When I look at this, hills and mountains look identical, as do forests and plains. I have to click on individual provinces to see what type of terrain it is.
      We have already improvements lined up, including making terrains better distinguishable. This update won't be the last one, the map will still get improved over time with the next updates.

Also I recommend you to check out the low graphics mode (check settings), maybe it is more to your liking.

Torspo2 wrote:

-The black box under the city name is unnecessarily big.
      The black box will be made less obtrusive in another update.

LFerreira wrote:

A lot of respect for the team, but please stop trying to change what isn't broken.
      My eyes can't keep up with the new map style, the terrain is undistingable. I have to make an effort to understand what's going on in the map, it's not practical at all. Please give the option to turn back or put more map styles available, I thinking of quitting this game because of this, unplayable for me.
      If we never changed anything what isnt broken, then the game would have stagnated in 2015 with no new content or graphics added at all. The game would have become unmarketable and died out. To compete in today's gaming market we have to stay up to date, and this also includes graphics, because they are the first impression a new player gets. But I also saw lots of veterans like the update, so its not only negative reactions so far. Maybe it comes down to taste?
      I hope you can still get used to the new look, because it is totally playable still ("unplayable" is almost every time an exaggeration). We got the exact same feedback a few weeks ago when we introduced the new CoW2.0 Interface. But despite complaining most players got used to it after a few days, I assume this will happen here as well.

I still want to thank you for your feddback though, but we won't roll it back and we also won't give the option to turn back. We will rather improve the new version. We have already some improvements lined up for the next release (such as making terrain better distinguishable). This is not the final version yet, so you can look forward to improvements.
      Also I recommend you to check out the low graphics mode (check settings), maybe it is more to your liking.

jubjub bird wrote:

Not a fan so far. Comments on the mobile version:

+1 to having a hard time distinguishing between mountains vs hills and forests vs plains. I guess mountains have a slightly darker shade than hills? But both forests and plains have trees, so I guess it's just a proportion thing? Its hard to tell. Increasing the density of trees in the forest provinces would help. Maybe darken the mountains a bit further to distinguish better from hills. Provinces on the border of mountain ranges or forests seem to have some of everything in them and I guess we'll just have to click on those to see what terrain they've been given.
      We have a bug on mobile still that terrains blend into eachother alot, meaning mountains reach too far into hills or plains for example. That will get fixed, which in turn will make it much clearer which terrain is which. On desktop the bug was fixed already.
    • freezy wrote:

Thanks for the feedback so far.

6thDragon wrote:

This is going to take some getting used to. The map really doesn't differentiate between terrain much anymore. When I look at this, hills and mountains look identical, as do forests and plains. I have to click on individual provinces to see what type of terrain it is.
      We have already improvements lined up, including making terrains better distinguishable. This update won't be the last one, the map will still get improved over time with the next updates.

Yep, thanks. I've switched to low graphics mode. It's a huge improvement!

I mean, I like the look of the new graphics, but distinguishing between terrain types is too important.
    • 6thDragon wrote:

freezy wrote:

Thanks for the feedback so far.

6thDragon wrote:

We have already improvements lined up, including making terrains better distinguishable. This update won't be the last one, the map will still get improved over time with the next updates.Also I recommend you to check out the low graphics mode (check settings), maybe it is more to your liking.
      Yep, thanks. I've switched to low graphics mode. It's a huge improvement!

I mean, I like the look of the new graphics, but distinguishing between terrain types is too important.
      I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. After a week, you will be able to distinguish all types almost immediately. Ultimately, as @freezy said, I think it's an improvement, but as with most changes, you have to get accustomed to it to fully be able to appreciate it. I'm looking forward for part 3.
      Kind regards,
      Donk
      Bytro game addict and avid CoW player.

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• One major thing I just noticed: Forests and plains look incredibly similar. Forests should also probably have more trees than they do right now. Those tiny little woods aren't really enough to hide tank destroyers in.
      Kind regards,
      Donk
      Bytro game addict and avid CoW player.

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• I do like the look of the maps - much prettier now. Except the ocean has been replaced by graph paper on my PC. I can't see a toggle anywhere for ocean textures.

But although I do like the look, I have switched to low-res. I won't say the game is "unplayable" with the new graphics, but it is highly impractical considering the importance of distinguishing terrain types, ownership, core vs non-core.

So while I salute the artist(s) I think game design needs some TLC here.
    • I have tried the new style for a few hours, but alas, I also switched back to low graphics. Terrain info is too important. I really hope this will get fixed though, the look is better and it can't be THAT hard to make it distinguish between five terrain types?

Low graphics is kind of ugly to switch back to, and it is really strange that it is official advice to go back to an inferior map mode when people are missing vital info in the new, sexy look.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • It made logical sense to put the full screen button in the map controls. It did. That's fine, but if it must be there please also restore it to the top bar - it wasn't cluttered. I have to use it a lot and now have to click twice - increases the annoyance factor.

But that's minor compared to one of the BEST improvements all year. Now I can turn off sprites when they block the view of other elements like roads. Fixes my pet peeve from 1.0 :thumbsup:
    • I think the new look is fine as a direction - but, as many have noted, the terrain textures are way too similar. It's a huge part of the game tactics and now I cant tell the difference between them just by looking. Please make them more distinguishable - you don't have to change the aesthetic, just make the differences more obvious - currently its too difficult to play.
      Lastly one aesthetic issue; the ocean; not a fan of the flat, matte paper look - the old shimmering shore edge was cool, would prefer having that back.