Reporting the in-game time in the newspaper

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Reporting the in-game time in the newspaper

Could you look at how the time of day is reported in the newspaper?

You can tell the in-game time by watching an event on the map and checking the time stamp in the newspaper immediately afterwards. Then you can compare the current in-game time to the 'countdown until day-change', and realise there is a mis-match.

In my current game, day-change occurs at 3am game time. So for example, if an action occurs with 20 hours left on the countdown timer, the newspaper will report the event occurred at 7am. Not 4am as you might expect.

If you could synchronise day-change timer and the newspaper's idea of time, and then display actual in-game time of day (I suggest put this at the top of the newspaper next to the day number), the newspaper articles would be that much more meaningful.

As it stands you can see that a certain event occurred at a certain time but it's not immediately apparent whether that happened an hour ago or five hours ago. But comparing the time-stamp of an article to the in-game time reported at the top of the newspaper, would make it clear.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I am not talking about real-life time compared to in-game time.)
    • The newspaper will report the happenings in the real time, not ingame time.

The daychange timer is not at 0:00 real time, it depends on when the game was started.

So if your daychange is at 6am and your unit was killed at 12am, the newspaper will of course report that the kill happened at 12am.
    • Let's go over this slowly...

A new map starts at some time, let's call it 6:00 GMT or 6:00 Zulu time.
      From that point on, that becomes 0:00 Map time.
      Every 24 hour day will be based on that time until the game ends.
      This is the only time relevant in the game: Map time.
      Every event should be tracked accordingly.

As an extra piece of info, the game could also label events in the player's local time.
      Just to be friendly and to help players translate Map time to their local time.

Nobody cares about the time in Frankfurt, Germany.
      Well, there are some players who life in that time zone, maybe they care ;)
      Nobody else on the planet who plays CoW is interested in what time it is on CoW servers.
      Please don't burden us with this nonsense :)
    • z00mz00m wrote:

Nobody cares about the time in Frankfurt, Germany.
      Well, there are some players who life in that time zone, maybe they care ;)
      It isn't actually Frankfurt, it is Hamburg. Though that is in the same time zone.

Yeah, like me ;) Actually it is a very big time zone called Central European Time, it stretches from Portugal to Romania. It is very convenient to us that it reports our real life time...

For many years, day change was always at midnight Hamburg time; which was very INconvenient for Europeans. There was (almost) no time to respond to spy reports and revolts, while Americans (afternoon) and Far Eastern time zones (morning) had many hours of playing time left. This was REALLY unfair, and got changed eventually; but it took several years. So now I guess you having to add or subtract a few hours from the newspaper roprt seems to be just a very small pyback for that)))
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • We're circling around the core issue.

There is game time. Every map is in a different virtual time zone, depending when it starts. I get it. Makes sense.

There is player time. My local time. That's also useful.

Then there is German aka Central European time. It is irrelevant to the game, and it is irrelevant to most players. Why should I have to calculate anything to or from Central European time? It's a nuisance.
    • Nooberium wrote:

It's not complicated. Events in the article bodies like province captures are reported in Game Time. The time at the top of the article is reported in the player's local time.
      It might not be complicated. We can do the mental arithmetic to figure out what 8:44 am = 5:44 pm (depending on user time zone) means, and then use that as a yardstick to try to interpret the time of day in all the other articles. But why make it like that?

Just stick to one time throughout. It can be user local time or server time or map time (if each game is deemed to start at midnight internal time).

But don't make it so we have to try to figure it out by using more than one measurement of time within each game.