Adding Extra Words to Countrys Names

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Adding Extra Words to Countrys Names

Good or bad idea? 23

The result is only visible to the participants.

I think it'll be OK if CoW includes an option to change a little your country's name.
      For example if you are Canada and you conquer 20 provinces you can change your name to Canadian Empire.

Or maybe just change from the Republic of Mexico to the Kingdom or the Estate of Mexico, depending on your tipe of Governor.

This is just esthetic and I know there are very important problems to be solved, but just a thought.

(Hope see soon Spanish empire and not just Spain, jeje ;) )
    • Maybe there could just be a standard list of prefixes?

Something like:
      "Empire of " <<original country name>>
      "Greater " <<original country name>>
      <<adjective of country name>> " Republic"

<<adjective of country name>> " Commonwealth"

etc.

It would also be cool if you could DROP adjectives; i.e. "Western Yakutia" becomes "Yakutia" once Eastern Yakutia is gone.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Well, Britain can easily reintegrate Egypt, South Africa and the Arab peninsula into the Empire. That's an easy way to win. And @Lord Crayfish said, the war will never be decided with one/two new type of weapons. In my Japan historic game I got level 4 Kawasaki Ki-66 which even in pairs can send flame tanks to the depths of hell.
      "Towards the submarine men, one felt an utter disgust and loathing; they were nothing but an abomination, polluting the clean sea."
    • But the idea is nice, I personally want to rename the Soviet Union to Russia and Japan to Japanese Empire in historic maps. Also UK should become British Empire in Historic games.
      "Towards the submarine men, one felt an utter disgust and loathing; they were nothing but an abomination, polluting the clean sea."
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

Maybe there could just be a standard list of prefixes?

Something like:
      "Empire of " <<original country name>>
      "Greater " <<original country name>>
      <<adjective of country name>> " Republic"

<<adjective of country name>> " Commonwealth"

etc.

It would also be cool if you could DROP adjectives; i.e. "Western Yakutia" becomes "Yakutia" once Eastern Yakutia is gone.
      Yeah exactly what I am talking about. When Communist/Nationalist China conquers the other China, there is no problem, but when New South Wales conquers all of Australia, then it doesn't change to Australia. My suggestion is to allow any name for the country, but block all insults and slangs.
    • This is going to be a big reply

Nobodyx2 wrote:

Well, Britain can easily reintegrate Egypt, South Africa and the Arab peninsula into the Empire. That's an easy way to win. And @Lord Crayfish said, the war will never be decided with one/two new type of weapons. In my Japan historic game I got level 4 Kawasaki Ki-66 which even in pairs can send flame tanks to the depths of hel
      Agreed. It's possible to completely reunite the British Empire, except for Australia and Canada, within two or three days. Those two dominions within a week.
      There are many effective anti-flame tank strategies. Even Allied/Pan-Asian medium tanks will do nicely.

Nobodyx2 wrote:

But the idea is nice, I personally want to rename the Soviet Union to Russia and Japan to Japanese Empire in historic maps. Also UK should become British Empire in Historic games.
      Why the Soviet Union to Russia? In a historic game, the historic name was always the USSR/Soviet Union/some variant, as it included other nations. Or do you mean the reverse?

Nobodyx2 wrote:

Yeah exactly what I am talking about. When Communist/Nationalist China conquers the other China, there is no problem, but when New South Wales conquers all of Australia, then it doesn't change to Australia. My suggestion is to allow any name for the country, but block all insults and slangs.
      Personally I disagree to the extent that it impedes historical accuracy.
      Maybe have a list of reasonable changes, as the NSW->Australia you mentioned, but these should be "formable", such as reasonable evolutions based on starting area and subdivision of country, not e.g. renaming Korea Germany, or worse, the Prawn Kingdom.
      Kneel before the might of Bangladesh
    • Carking the 6th wrote:

How exactly do you make a robust system?
      Proposal:
      E.g. Volga Nzhny
      [prefix] [name] [suffix?]
      {Republic, Empire &c.}...............Volga Nzhny
      {Ideology; Nationalist &c.}...........Volga Nzhny
      {Cardinal Direction; Southern &c.}.Volga Nzhny
      {Modifier; Outer, British &c.}........Volga Nzhny

Have tree of available names formable through capturing other countries in a region. It is already possible to sort by region.
      e.g. Volga Nzhny was historically part of the Soviet Union ts. 1932/4-1960 representing the maximum extents of intended gameplay

So e.g.
      Volga Nzhny -> Soviet Union
      or Queensland -> Australia
      or British Odisha -> India
      New England -> USA/United States

This is purely theoretical and I don't really want to see it implemented. At best, have "droppable" modifiers North, South &c. and formable large countries of USA, Soviet Union, India, etc.
      Countries already have canonical ideological names, esp. Nationalist & Communist China.
      In Historic World War I see little purpose
    • How do you get it? For example, do you need to capture every city or even rural province including Alaska and Hawaii for the US? What about the USSR? Is it just capitals of every player country, ect. What about places like Kazakhstan without any easy formable country? Same with Mongolia. For Spain, can you just form Iberia with Portugal? Or instead can you form any of these as long as no one else has and you have a certain amount of cities? Would any of this apply to maps like HWW?

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • Carking the 6th wrote:

How do you get it? For example, do you need to capture every city or even rural province including Alaska and Hawaii for the US? What about the USSR? Is it just capitals of every player country, ect. What about places like Kazakhstan without any easy formable country? Same with Mongolia. For Spain, can you just form Iberia with Portugal? Or instead can you form any of these as long as no one else has and you have a certain amount of cities? Would any of this apply to maps like HWW?
      I don't
      As a baseline, a certain number of provinces or VPs (at least 90%) within a defined region (see the sorted province lists; a refined form of this might help). I don't think it need apply to every country but it could in theory.
      I think this would be most useful in the W@W maps. Frankly I see little purpose at all. I don't think it's really necessary but it might be fun.