What are the best Units? HWW 1939

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are the best Units? HWW 1939

Many of you have heard of forums opening the topic of best units, but Everyone seems to be picking units but not describing them!

Ask me if your favorite unit is good or not and based of your favorite I will tell you the pros and cons of that unit!
      Average_Luz
    • Destructo the Great wrote:

Axis: heavy tanks because they r monsters and can kill anything
      Comintern: medium tanks, easy to spam
      Allies: tac bombers of course
      Pan Asian: Armoured cars or Light tanks
      Axis Heavy Tanks are good, but make sure to build some infrastructure if your transporting them to a far front. Average 18 damage for level 1 heavy tanks is OP for HWW 1939.

Medium tanks for Comintern countries are fine, it’s just the low damage means you need some anti tank to technically boost your medium tank on the battlefield.

Tactical bombers are fine for allied nations, it’s just the lack of Attack bombers that US and UK produce, and you’ll need intercepters to cover those. Overall tat bombers are well in stacks but overall the u it itself is useless unless covered by intercepters.

Pan Asian tanks are good, but Light tanks are not enough. The lack of anti tank in Asia is something you can certainly take advantage of, but Medium tanks and heavy tanks just perform better late game instead of resorting to light tanks all the time.
      Average_Luz
    • Average_Luz wrote:

Pan Asian tanks are good, but Light tanks are not enough. The lack of anti tank in Asia is something you can certainly take advantage of, but Medium tanks and heavy tanks just perform better late game instead of resorting to light tanks all the time.

Like most players, you underestimate the importance of:
      1. Research levels and unit upgrades. A stack of Pan Asian LT's at level 5 will slice through a lot of armor.
      2. Especially if you use them properly: in the plains. And you should always take advantage of terrain. Pan Asian doctrine takes it to another level, making it even more important.
      3. Speed matters. A tank going 2x-3x faster than another tank can pick and choose when and where it fights. It can avoid traps, decimate soft targets (like bombers). Plus, a fast unit takes less damage on the way. Try to shoot and scoot artillery against a Pan Asian LT stack. Go ahead, try. Now do the same against a Heavy Tank. No comparison. The heavy is destroyed before it ever gets to fire a shot.
      4. The property most likely to be forgotten: view range. Helps you decide when and where to fight. The difference between getting through the enemy's line and into his industrial core, and getting bogged down in a war of attrition.

In summary, Pan Asian LT's and AC's rock. Keep them upgraded and stay on the move. You won't win head-to-head fights against similarly sized stacks of Heavy Tanks, but why would you want to fight a Heavy head-on? That's for losers. Winners go around to rip out the enemy's soul, and then slowly demolish the Heavy with artillery and bombers.
    • Axis faves:
      (Usually play as axis countries, maybe i will post my faves for other doctrines later)

SPRA
      probably best ground ranged unit, deals pretty much constant damage across all unit types

Mot. Infantry
      Great for rushing enemy territory, when paired with Medium tank it's close to unstoppable

Commandos
      Great stats against light armor as well, use with tanks in mountain terrain

Paratroops (ground form)
      Great stats against infantry, also works well with tanks

Submarines
      Stealth (obv), increased atk vs ship + sub, great for spying on your enemies

Attack Bomber
      Only 5 lvl's means less research. Also by lvl 4, get like 6 of these in a stack and you can take out a HT in one blow
    • Best Unit.... Lolz

That would depend on who you are fighting, and where you're fighting them.

Best unit if you're Island hopping in the Pacific will not be the same one to a land locked player in central Asia.

So.... there are plenty of "Best" units... you just have to specify what you're trying to accomplish.

Also, are you trying to rush... or is this the long grind you're dealing with. Air Power is a great rushing force, throw some fast moving land grabbers underneath to capture what they clear and you can carve out huge swaths of land quickly. But they are Expensive Glass Cannons... and a simple mistake will cost you dearly.

Artillery, Arty, SPAR or Naval BB or CR are all relatively LOW damage dealers... but in exchange for that, they don't take any damage in return like melee units do... and if you have premium, you can set them to advance and they will stop and fire at range any time enemy units come into range. Once the threat is gone the unit will keep moving on it's ordered path... even when you're sleeping.

One unit that gets left off these lists regularly which has to rank in the the top 3 of most maps is the Sub. A stealth-scout that's lethal in it's element. Could you ask for anything more? Yet completely useless in central Asia.

So... once you decide How you want to play... Rushing Offence vs Calculated Offence then Land-locked vs Coastal vs Naval and you'll be close to awarding your "Best Unit".
      General Maximus Decimus Meridius - "Are you not entertained?"
    • WolverineM1076 wrote:

Many will disagree - but a general who effectively uses high level Militia, Fighters, and Subs can be very difficult to defeat. Of course these units must be supplemented with the traditional land, air and sea units for best results.
      Don't know your playstyle, but I typically don't research past lvl 1 militia, and I ony use them in "emergencies"

But subs and fighters are both necessary to defend against surprise attacks
    • Erezuma wrote:

WolverineM1076 wrote:

Many will disagree - but a general who effectively uses high level Militia, Fighters, and Subs can be very difficult to defeat. Of course these units must be supplemented with the traditional land, air and sea units for best results.
      Don't know your playstyle, but I typically don't research past lvl 1 militia, and I ony use them in "emergencies"
      But subs and fighters are both necessary to defend against surprise attacks
      militias are pan Asian are great. I get them to blueprint
      知己知彼,百战不殆
      :00010164: :00008172: :00002178: :00002047: :00000156: :00010180: :00010317:
    • Militia is the only blueprint unit I've used, on any map.
      Games end way before other blueprints can come into play.

I used to ignore militia completely, until I realized how much it helps balance resource usage.
      If you are an active, skilled player, you build a lot of artillery and/or planes.
      Those all require tons of goods, and infantry also uses a lot of goods... but militia does not.
      Militia + Artillery is thus better for your resource balance than Infantry + Artillery.

Once you start playing with them, you also realize how much havoc you can raise with militia in rough terrain.
      You can go from forest to hills to mountains to city, and the enemy will never see you.
      Most players don't research AC's or MI's past level 2, so your level 3-4 militia are ghosts haunting the countryside.
      You can walk past artillery stacks, and they won't fire on you.
      You can set gnarly ambushes.
      You can take cities before the enemy realizes they are under attack.
      And at level 4, you can go head to head with level 2-3 MI (depending on terrain).

All this in a unit with a 2 hour build time at BLUEPRINT level.
    • z00mz00m wrote:

Militia is the only blueprint unit I've used, on any map.
      Games end way before other blueprints can come into play.

I used to ignore militia completely, until I realized how much it helps balance resource usage.
      If you are an active, skilled player, you build a lot of artillery and/or planes.
      Those all require tons of goods, and infantry also uses a lot of goods... but militia does not.
      Militia + Artillery is thus better for your resource balance than Infantry + Artillery.

Once you start playing with them, you also realize how much havoc you can raise with militia in rough terrain.
      You can go from forest to hills to mountains to city, and the enemy will never see you.
      Most players don't research AC's or MI's past level 2, so your level 3-4 militia are ghosts haunting the countryside.
      You can walk past artillery stacks, and they won't fire on you.
      You can set gnarly ambushes.
      You can take cities before the enemy realizes they are under attack.
      And at level 4, you can go head to head with level 2-3 MI (depending on terrain).

All this in a unit with a 2 hour build time at BLUEPRINT level.
      Exactly! I guess our secret is out... LOL