Heavy Tanks - What's the Purpose?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Heavy Tanks - What's the Purpose?

So I'm just kinda confused right now... should I mass produce HT's or go for an LT-TD combo instead? Medium tanks are best for combating light armor, but what of heavy tanks?

The heavy tank is a true one-trick pony. It has the best offensive stats against heavy armor by far, but is generally weak against unarmored units, particularly ordnance. It also has poor anti air damage. So the question is: are they worth it?

What do you guys think?
    • I never use then. Then again, I very rarely use medium or light tanks also. AC is king.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • A heavy tank only has 2.0 AA value.

They're also not able to chase artillery, too slow.

Nuff said.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Erezuma wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

I never use then. Then again, I very rarely use medium or light tanks also. AC is king.
      But what if the enemy has heavy armor?
      I think you’re overrating HTs by calling them a one trick pony.

I use arty to shoot and scoot with either anti-tank or tank destroyers to guard the arty. Works well enough for me.

The post was edited 1 time, last by 6thDragon ().

• Erezuma wrote:

So I'm just kinda confused right now... should I mass produce HT's or go for an LT-TD combo instead? Medium tanks are best for combating light armor, but what of heavy tanks?

The heavy tank is a true one-trick pony. It has the best offensive stats against heavy armor by far, but is generally weak against unarmored units, particularly ordnance. It also has poor anti air damage. So the question is: are they worth it?

What do you guys think?
      only use heavy tanks in axis. They are expensive but worth it. Pair it up with anti air and artillery. It’s 100% invincible.
      知己知彼,百战不殆
      :00010164: :00008172: :00002178: :00002047: :00000156: :00010180: :00010317:
    • Destructo the Great wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

A heavy tank only has 2.0 AA value.

Nuff said.
      pair with some armoured car. Send the armoured cars to pin down the artillery. Heavy tanks come over and kill artillery. Easy.
      This reminds me of one of my favorite jokes.

Jerry is walking into the jungle, carrying a telephone pole.
      Pete sees him, and says: "Why are you carrying that heavy telephone pole into the jungle?"
      Jerry answers: "Well, when the wild animals come, I can throw away the telephone pole, so I can run away much faster!"
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

Destructo the Great wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

A heavy tank only has 2.0 AA value.

Nuff said.
      pair with some armoured car. Send the armoured cars to pin down the artillery. Heavy tanks come over and kill artillery. Easy.
      This reminds me of one of my favorite jokes.
      Jerry is walking into the jungle, carrying a telephone pole.
      Pete sees him, and says: "Why are you carrying that heavy telephone pole into the jungle?"
      Jerry answers: "Well, when the wild animals come, I can throw away the telephone pole, so I can run away much faster!"
      works though, but I never tried it
      知己知彼,百战不殆
    • Agree with the prevailing opinion: heavy tanks are not a good investment.

Let's break it down.

Speed: Bad. Hard to move between battles. The battle is over before they get there.
      This suggests they should be used on defense, but they are not great in cities.
      So you have a unit that's really good at defending open terrain. How useful is that? Not very.

Toughness: Here, the HT is king. Very hard to kill. Especially the Axis and Comintern versions.

Attacking infantry: Not good. There are many better options for fighting infantry.

Defending from infantry: Not good. tanks in general are bad on defense, except AC/TD.

Attacking light armor: Good, but Medium tanks are better.
      This is important because light armor units are so numerous.
      All the starting armor units are light, and they stay around, especially armored cars.
      Then you have mechanized infantry, a powerful unit, especially in cities.
      Then you have transports carrying planes or rockets. Trucks are light armor!

Defending against light armor: Good, but again, tanks are not great on defense.

Attacking heavy armor: Excellent. But why would you attack heavy armor directly?

Defending against heavy armor: Good, but tank destroyers are much better at this task.
      And let's not forget, TD is a stealth unit, and it moves faster, both handy properties.

Now we get to the clincher.

Defense against artillery and attack bombers: Terrible.
      Heavy tanks are sitting ducks. They cannot run away, they cannot rush, they simply die.
      They have a lot of HP, it takes a while to kill them, but they pose no threat to a skilled player.

So there you have it. Not good at things that matter, and easy to kill.
    • z00mz00m wrote:

Agree with the prevailing opinion: heavy tanks are not a good investment.

Let's break it down.

Speed: Bad. Hard to move between battles. The battle is over before they get there.
      So you have a unit that's really good at defending open terrain. How useful is that? Not very.

Toughness: Here, the HT is king. Very hard to kill. Especially the Axis and Comintern versions.

Attacking infantry: Not good. There are many better options for fighting infantry.

Defending from infantry: Not good. tanks in general are bad on defense, except AC/TD.

All the starting armor units are light, and they stay around, especially armored cars.

Attacking heavy armor: Excellent. But why would you attack heavy armor directly?

Defending against heavy armor: Good, but tank destroyers are much better at this task.
      And let's not forget, TD is a stealth unit, and it moves faster, both handy properties.

Heavy tanks are sitting ducks. They cannot run away, they cannot rush, they simply die.
      They have a lot of HP, it takes a while to kill them, but they pose no threat to a skilled player.

z00mz00m wrote:

Agree with the prevailing opinion: heavy tanks are not a good investment.

Let's break it down.

heavy tank are actually pretty cost effective. They only has 4 levels and it’s well rounded. So you don’t need to research medium tanks and tank destroyers at the same time. I once defeated pro players with it. Use anti airs with it. If I see coming artillery i destroy them with tactical bombers
      知己知彼,百战不殆
    • When I'm playing casual and nearing the end of my match, I generally have wiped out a vast majority of the more skilled players in my match and have a lot of extra resources. I can then use it to make a massive army of high-level HTs. In large stacks, they are indestructible and quite fun. You don't need to worry about offensive/defensive capabilities, they are equally good at both. It's quite fun being able to set a path for them knowing that the enemy can't do literally anything to stop them. 10 stack of level 3 HTs in axis is over 1000 HP. Even if, in theory, they managed to really put some consideration into what they produce, it would take a TON of TDs or attack bombers to have the tiniest effect. It's a very casual and laid-back playstyle. I generally only use it when I know there's no risk to my units. I recently ended a match with a 24.73 K/D ratio and a 59.50 C/L ratio. I was getting back to CoW and it was one of my first matches in CoW 2.0, so I was taking my time with everything. It was a Europe - CoN map, and I ended it off with 50 level 3 heavy tanks as axis. I could demolish literally anything I wanted to. Generally an underrated unit in my opinion, but still quite situational. I would not recommend using it against experienced players. Very fun to use against unexperienced ones though.
      Kind regards,
      Donk
      Bytro game addict and avid CoW player.

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• Donk2.0 wrote:

When I'm playing casual and nearing the end of my match, I generally have wiped out a vast majority of the more skilled players in my match and have a lot of extra resources. I can then use it to make a massive army of high-level HTs. In large stacks, they are indestructible and quite fun. You don't need to worry about offensive/defensive capabilities, they are equally good at both. It's quite fun being able to set a path for them knowing that the enemy can't do literally anything to stop them. 10 stack of level 3 HTs in axis is over 1000 HP. Even if, in theory, they managed to really put some consideration into what they produce, it would take a TON of TDs or attack bombers to have the tiniest effect. It's a very casual and laid-back playstyle. I generally only use it when I know there's no risk to my units. I recently ended a match with a 24.73 K/D ratio and a 59.50 C/L ratio. I was getting back to CoW and it was one of my first matches in CoW 2.0, so I was taking my time with everything. It was a Europe - CoN map, and I ended it off with 50 level 3 heavy tanks as axis. I could demolish literally anything I wanted to. Generally an underrated unit in my opinion, but still quite situational. I would not recommend using it against experienced players. Very fun to use against unexperienced ones though.
      yes
      知己知彼,百战不殆