CoW Economic Guide - 2024 (updated)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CoW Economic Guide - 2024 (updated)

CoW Economic Guide - 2024

This guide was originally prepared by General Nightman in May 2019.
      Updated in October 2022 by OneNutSquirrel.

The Economy is the most important element of a war. All wars are economic, most notably so was World War 2. Coming out of the Great Depression, all countries had frail economies, which is particularly illustrated in the historic rounds of CoW. Generally, the economy is the base of your country. Not only do you feed your armies and people, you have the ability to grow your nation because of a strong home front. In this guide, we will walk you through the basics of Economy in Call of War and establish the main ways to effectively build your nation in order to fund your military machine and win the game! Remember, one can have the best tactics, most loyal allies, and well researched units, but without resources to back them one is dead in the water.

Call of War Economical Terms:
      • Resources (RSS) -There are 5 resources in Call of War used to build units and upgrade territories and affect their production rates.
        • Food, Goods, Metal, Oil and Rare Materials. As well as Cash and Manpower.
        • Moral, though not produced needs to be maintained perhaps even more diligently than the others. Since it's the base multiplier for production of the above resources as well as unit production and building construction times.
      • Core Production : It is the production of resources that takes place within a core province (main starting territory around your capitol). This is your main production. Once upgraded with buildings, these modifiers and boosts are the main drivers your economy at its purest form.
      • Non-Core Production : Production or RSS in territories which were captured during game play, and in some instances refer to remote territories away from the main 'Home starting area" of the main country.(These territories produce reduced RSS)
      • Resource Provinces (RP) : Any province that produces resources.
      • Production Rate: This is the amount of a resource you produce in an hour. The bigger the number, the more resources you are producing in an hour. A negative rate will drain your resource reserves until they are zero (though this is rare after latest changes to CoW)
      All unit production will use Cash and Manpower plus at least two other resources to produce.

How to Collect the Resources
      All provinces under your control automatically produce the resources and that production goes right into your inventory in real-time. As you build and improve the buildings which boost your production, capture more territories, and improve their Moral, you will see that reflected in your hourly numbers in the Inventory Ribbon display showing how much resource you have on hand and how much you are earning Per Hour. If you select the ribbon (PC) or each individual resource (Mobile) you will see display showing a further break down of the production.

Economic Boosters (EB’s)
      • Industry - This is the key driving force of resource production. A single, core city fully upgraded to Lvl 5 at 100% Moral, will produce 12,000 of its resources, 12,000 cash. While a captured city will, when fully upgraded (at same cost) with 100% Moral, will only provide 25% of those resources. You will need to capture 4 additional cities, and spend 4x the amount in upgrading those cities to produce the same amount of resources outside of your Core territory.
      • Recruiting Station - Recruiting Stations raise your Manpower production. Core cities once fully upgraded to Lvl 3 will produce 1,800 Manpower each. Again, any captured city will only produce 25% of the resource while costing as much to upgrade as your Core.
      • Propaganda Office - These buildings improve the Moral of the city/province. More on the importance of this shortly.

Other Mechanisms in the Economy
      • Money : As in the real world: Money makes the world go around. Buying resources, making deals and producing units are all essential purposes of money. Cash is essential to a victory and one can accumulate millions throughout the game.
      • Stock Market : The Stock Market, in real life, is an ever-changing exchange and flow of goods between countries and companies. The prices of resources in the game's Stock Market are always changing, though at the beginning of the round AIs offer a good deal for a lot of resources. Each transaction on the market, buy or sell has a 10% fee on it.
      • Invading : When one is short on a certain resource, one can always invade an enemy province that contains a resource. One thing to remember is captured provinces only produce resources at 25% efficiency. The Loot you collect from them is equal to 50% of their daily production at time of capture (to a max. amount of materials they have on hand). Captured provinces will come to your control at 25% moral (or less).
      • Morale : Morale is very important as it affects your economy. In your core province, your economy begins at 70% Moral and rarely dips below 90%. The higher morale you have, the more resources you will produce. Building Propaganda Offices helps provinces to raise their Moral, hence improves their production.
      Core Province Economic Output for each City/Province is calculated as follows:

Base Amount x Economic Boosters(buildings) x Moral % = Production <<<<<=======The Formula

Captured Territory Economic Output is calculated at 25% of the above production rate.

Factors Affecting Moral

There are several factors with an effect the Moral of a province, and in doing so, will affect the production of that province.

Distance From Capitol - Based on distance to Capitol City (max penalty -30, of if you lost capitol -40) if not rebuilt)
      Neighbours - Based on Diplomacy of surrounding provinces - leaving an uncaptured territory has a negative effect on the adjacent ones
      Expansion - As you grow this modifier gets larger and affects ALL provinces equally
      Propaganda Office - Bonus to Moral based on building level (Lvl 1+10, Lvl 2 +23, Lvl 3 +40)
      (The modifiers above are based on the 100 Player World at War Map)

Capturing and Enemy Capitol
      When you capture an enemy capitol, all your territories immediately get a Moral Boost of 10% (your enemy gets a 20% penalty to Moral in every territory they control). During the first few days, it's advantageous to capture the capitols as the Last territory of an enemy, thus allowing all your recently captured provinces to get the Moral Boost.This not only improves the economy, but also immediately makes them Revolt Proof! Later in the game, when you control dozens of cities, the opposite is true. By capturing the capitol first, all your previously captured cities get the Moral Boost and produce 10% more resources every hour. If you hold off on capturing the capitol for 1 hour, so you can improve the moral of more 4 cities, you have just lost out on increasing production on 20, 50 or 100 cities by 10% per hour of delay. Something to consider once you are larger and growing.

Garrisoned Units
      Though a garrisoned unit or two do not actually modify the Moral in a territory, they can effectively prevent it from revolting at day change on those first few days after it's been captured. Once the Moral is above 30%, provinces will not rebel. Mentioning it here because having to go back and re-capture territories which revolted means their production is now that day or two behind.

The First Few Days - What to Build
      There are many different ways to start building your economic juggernaut. Your map, starting location, and doctrine should be major consideration to determine how best to begin. Some doctrines are best to attack first, and “earn” those early resources for that early building and expansion. Others are more suited to defending, building up the first wave to swamp your enemy. If you are playing with allies on the map, splitting up the starting methods to take advantage of the Doctrines is a good way to start.

With those 3 variable play styles (aggressive, balanced and defensive), doctrines ( x4) and game play (solo, allies), you have 24 different strategies to decide on for Day 1. Trying to present “the best start” to go with each of those possibilities… is a bit deep for this discussion.

I hope this guide helps, yet if something is inaccurate or I've missed something, or if you have comments, please leave them below.

OneNutSquirrel

============================================================================

The follwing were involved in preparation of the original piece.

-General Nightman, Intelligence Division
      -GGBugh, Review Division
      -Ependable, Support Division
      -Attacker101, Support Division

Updated by OneNutSquirrel
      October 2022
      Edited June 2023
      Thank you jubjub bird for catching some mistakes and errors.

The original post can be found here.
      General Maximus Decimus Meridius - "Are you not entertained?"

The post was edited 3 times, last by OneNutSquirrel: Updated 2024-04-03 ().

• DxC wrote:

I was curious about whether to upgrade industries in cities or provinces and what the benefits are relative to the cumulative costs. I made a little table here if you want to check it out.
      Industries in cities are most economical, If core cities with a certain resource are maxed then only start building industries in resource provinces. The province industries "pay themselves back" in about 5 days. Dont build industries elsewhere, with a production penalty of 75% percent it is not worth it. Recruitment centers can be built in cities foirst and then later in rural provinces without resources.

It is imperative that, if resource limited, max one province first before you start building the same industry or recruitment center elsewhere. The top tiers provide more bang for bugs.

The propaganda offices become important if youre moral is slowly going down due expansion and if you need to recenter your capital, then your cores should have sufficient propaganda offices of appropriate level to maintain production.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gen. Smit ().

• DxC wrote:

Gen. Smit wrote:

The top tiers provide more bang for bugs.
      The most bang for the buck is level 3 non city (see table; green is better). In cities level 3 is also slightly better in terms of gain/resource_cost, but for cities the various levels are pretty even in terms gain/cost.
      no you dont take money in account (spying trading) and the fact that the return will be always better the longer you play, you must have a flaw in the table.
      Added, what you must also consider is that an industry is to provide certain commodities, There is only way to increase food, goods etc, and more of it, and that is by producing absolutely the most, it will always pay back once you finished investing. the earlier you can finish the better it is, yet it must be balanced by the needs for the unit production.

So industry is hurt or hurts unit (by) production when your army units are reliant on a lot of steel, oil and rares, but economy boosts army unit production that are reliant on goods and food.

The extra money that is generated will boost research, and allows trading on the stock market, improving relationships with AI countries. Thus as a consequence, infantry/militia/mot. infantry and non-SP ordonance are benefitting highly from industry development.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Gen. Smit ().

• Z. Sakki wrote:

Rurals give more at lvl3 compared to urban lvl3 but they don't scale. If you go rural first, your lvl5 urban will be delayed. I always go urban first.
      Sakki, consider building city to lvl 3 vs rural to lvl 3. They both take 42 hours cumulatively and use the same resources, except rural uses 100 more iron. After 42 hours the rural will be producing +3000 while the city will be producing +2700. Thus the rural will give you a bit of a better boost. This 300 per day difference will apply while you are building up your city Industries and overall you will have produced more resources by doing rural first.

edit: actually the iron is the same. I put the iron cost at 1500 for level 3 urban but it's actually 1600.

The post was edited 2 times, last by DxC ().

• I looked again to the tables and the flaw in there is that it is not integrated over time (i.e. a curve), and that is the only way to find the proper solution, you should find then "break even points" (in reality you cant because it depends on your needs and only one kind of resource is outputted). The break even points of the higher level 5 will be later obviously, but the slope of production is steeper, so at some point the total/accumulated production (minus investment which is a constant value) will be higher compared to lower levels.

BUT if have to look at the idea of developing rurals first, if they are timewise more efficient this may be interesting as you are free to build unit production centers unhampered. I find that an interesting idea/find you did. One should still consider that you dont build too high level in the beginning, but if they are finished at say level 3 unit production centers before you start building industry in cities there may be less interference in construction.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Gen. Smit ().

• DxC wrote:

Sakki, consider building city to lvl 3 vs rural to lvl 3. They both take 42 hours cumulatively and use the same resources, except rural uses 100 more iron. After 42 hours the rural will be producing +3000 while the city will be producing +2700. Thus the rural will give you a bit of a better boost.
      Yea that's what I've said, but it also delays your city lvl5. Rurals cap at lvl3 and it'll hinder you in the long run.
    • Gen. Smit wrote:

the flaw in there is that it is not integrated over time (i.e. a curve)
      Here the purple line represents building all urban to level 5 then rural to level 3 plus 24 hours of production with both maxed. The green line is building rural to level 3 then urban to level 5. The cumulative production is slightly better building rural first.
    • The graph is very good on which you may start first rural or city, I will consider this in a next game, thx for the effort.

But it does not settle the issue of city lvl 3 vs level 5 and I am sure the lvl 5 comes out as the winner. you cant let your industries stay at lvl3, impossible that it is more efficient than promoting them to lvl5
    • Fair, guess I'll have to try rurals first now. I'll see how it goes.

Still, I suspect being in-game is a different thing than just laying out the numbers tho. Other factors like build times, rural prov variation, the fact that this runs on a concept of lumping all 5 res into one, etc. aren't really considered.
    • DxC wrote:

Gen. Smit wrote:

the issue of city lvl 3 vs level 5
      What issue do you mean?
      Maybe I misunderstood, biut I thought you suggested that lvl 3 in city is more efficient than level 5, and that can only be the case on short time spans, since investment is fixed, and gains accumulate. and the greater/longer the accumulation the more it will favor lvl 5 industry. I dont know the break even point for these two.
    • Gen. Smit wrote:

Maybe I misunderstood, biut I thought you suggested that lvl 3 in city is more efficient than level 5
      It is more efficient simply in terms of production gain per resources invested. That in no way suggests you shouldn't build to level 5; just because investment A is better than investment B, doesn't mean investment B isn't still a good investment. Obviously, building to level 5 will pay for the investment relatively quickly and it would be hard to imagine a scenario where you shouldn't build core cities to level 5.
    • Good bump.

There are a few things that need to be updated/corrected:
      - It still states that Oil is consumed by Naval Bases, which was removed when going 1.0 -> 1.5
      - It states provinces below 35% have a chance to revolt; that number should be 30%
      - The economic formula states Morale percentage is a direct modifier, but AFAICT it's adjusted. 0% morale doesn't result in 0% resource production
      - Capturing a province gets you up to 50% of the daily production, capped at whatever amount the other player has in their stockpile
      - The Neighbours penalty also penalizes based on the morale of your own provinces that neighbor the target province. This number can, rarely, be larger than the penalty given due to enemy neighbors.

There might be more but that's what I noticed at a glance
    • lol, its a link to the formula, jub.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.