Reenacting WW2 in Call of War?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Reenacting WW2 in Call of War?

Note: edits are in italic.

World War Two saw many great battles and fights. Call of War is designed to have a historical start, but let the player decide how they want to go further. I want to do the opposite; instead of sandboxing and having Germany ally with France and UK, why don't we try to reenact WW2, and play it with historical alliances? I've been looking through the forum and there weren't any serious attempts at this. That's why I am going to attempt it myself. What I want to try, is to create a group of at least seven players, organize a game of Historical WW2 (or Blitzkrieg), and reenact WW2 in Call of War

Of course, there needs to be a set of rules. But because I have no experience whatsoever in this, it is impossible to come up with a set of rules that work at this stage. We need to play a couple of test games first. The rules are mostly going to be about specific dates, at which different powers can join the war, trade prohibitions, and possibly the ban of some exploits that could come up. These test games (well, at least the first one) should be very strict at first, following history as closely as possible. This way, we experience how the game flows and can create a rule system that adapts to this. Later, when we have more sophisticated rules and a larger game group, we can add roleplay stuff or alternate history. The possibilities could be endless.
      I don't know how much interest is in this, but if there is enough, we could possibly create a discord server, and organize a game every month or so. No Discord is fine though. Forum works as well :)

Rules for the test game
      First, we need to set up a couple of test games (1-3, or maybe more), where we (at least in the first one) follow history as closely as possible. We need at least seven players for this:

Edit: because of technical difficulties, we have to play on the Blitzkrieg map first, instead of the Historical WW2 Map. Luckily for us, Gen. Smit (Sweden) is willing to set up a game for us, since he does have a premium account. Thank you for doing this!

Axis:
      Germany - VictoryFirst
      Italy -

Neutral Axis (for rules, see below)
      Spain - Z. Sakki
      Sweden - Gen. Smit.

Allies:
      United Kingdom - Kaulities
      France - Fox-Company
      United States - VZ Revan
      Soviet Union - General Freiheit (Lone Star General)

Players that have joined test game #2
      Claudio NKVP
      Cecil Rhodes

Rules for Neutral Axis
      May not join the war, except Spain, when certain conditions are met.
      May trade resources with the Axis.
      Allies may not declare war on them, except on Spain, when it has joined the war.
      Spains joins the war if Gibraltar and Suez are Axis-controlled for one full day.

We have enough players! Test game #1 will begin soon. You can always sign up for test game #2 as well.

This section has been edited

How should this be interpreted, 'following history as closely as possible?' Well, it means that Major events of WW2, like the German invasion of Poland, France, USSR, and the African campaign, and the Allies landing in France MUST occur, in some way. Not exactly, as this otherwise allows players to await attacks that will certainly happen. The game is not fun if the Allies HAVE to land in Normandy, and the Germans stack preemptively all of their troops there. A bit of uncertainty is needed, i.e. the Allies are not obliged to exactly land at that spot, they can also decide to land in another spot in France, like Bordeaux, Calais, or even in the Netherlands for that matter. As long as they don't do anything weird like declaring war on Spain and landing there. My advice is: play in a sensible and historical way. How this will work in practice, is something we have to discuss.

Why so strict? If we have no well-thought rules yet, an 'alternate history' game could become very messy. If we have history as a guideline, the game will be more streamlined. The test game is used to find out which countries are strong or could become strong, which things work really and which things don't, what dates are good for the US and the USSR to join the war, etc. Once we know what rules to implement, both sides could do whatever they want, as long as their goal is to defeat the opposing faction.

Rules concerning technology and trade are important but are not there yet.

How to join?
      If you like to take part in this, respond to this thread, say that you are interested in playing, and possibly state a country that you would like to play as in the test games. Any ideas for rules, gameplay, or whatever are very welcome. If you know some friends who like to play as well, feel free to let them know about this. Advertising is very appreciated.

Conditions:
      Please don't sign up if you are a person that often goes AFK, or tries to be funny by attacking your allies. I want serious, involved people that like to take part in this project, and possibly help expand it. Also, if you are a very inexperienced player, it might be better to play some standard games first, before trying to take part in this.

If there is enough involvement, I will create a discord, in which we can communicate more easily. And again, if you have any thoughts or ideas for the rules, improvements, or anything else, feel free to let me know!

The post was edited 18 times, last by VictoryFirst ().

• By the way, I just realized either gold or a premium account is needed to organize/take part in the Historical World War II map. In order to get a broader reach for players, I think it's best if we instead play a couple of games on the Blitzkrieg Europe map first. That map has no restrictions whatsoever. This will change the minimum amount of players we need, to six.

Another note: somebody else has to host the test game. I don't have a premium account :)
    • Fox-Company wrote:

I would gladly take part in some way.
      I can advertise this on game, if you'd like, i know a few players who would be happy to join.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • Good mornin'. I'm Lone Star General on call of war, but my forum username is General Freiheit. I'd like to join, although I can't do discord. I request to be the Motherland, [Russia/USSR]. I know a way we can do this on a Blitzkreig map WITHOUT premium. You can created an alliance with the Axis or allied players, and someone else create an alliacne for the allied players and do a AVA match
      "Never fail to honor your people. When a true leader's work is done and his aims fulfilled, they should say and believe 'We did this ourselves.'" - US Army General George S. Patton Jr. [1885-1945]
    • VictoryFirst wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

I would gladly take part in some way.
      I can advertise this on game, if you'd like, i know a few players who would be happy to join.
      Excellent! Advertising is very appreciated! How more people we can gather, the better!
      If you never need something done or advertised just message me on my wall, ill respond within a few hours.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • General Freiheit wrote:

Good mornin'. I'm Lone Star General on call of war, but my forum username is General Freiheit. I'd like to join, although I can't do discord. I request to be the Motherland, [Russia/USSR]. I know a way we can do this on a Blitzkreig map WITHOUT premium. You can created an alliance with the Axis or allied players, and someone else create an alliacne for the allied players and do a AVA match
      Lone Star General - USSR, that's been noted!

That alliance thing you suggested is a very clever idea. I hope people don't bother leaving their alliance for this though. I am in an alliance but I was planning to leave it anyway :) Is there still a gold/premium acc needed if doing an AVA match on the Historical WW2 map?

No discord is fine, the forum works as well. Discord is only for people who don't like to use this forum :) We could also use the CoW Conversations function optionally.

The post was edited 1 time, last by VictoryFirst ().

• VictoryFirst wrote:

General Freiheit wrote:

Good mornin'. I'm Lone Star General on call of war, but my forum username is General Freiheit. I'd like to join, although I can't do discord. I request to be the Motherland, [Russia/USSR]. I know a way we can do this on a Blitzkreig map WITHOUT premium. You can created an alliance with the Axis or allied players, and someone else create an alliacne for the allied players and do a AVA match
      Lone Star General - USSR, that's been noted!
      That alliance thing you suggested is a very clever idea. I hope people don't bother leaving their alliance for this though. I am in an alliance but I was planning to leave it anyway :) Is there still a gold/premium acc needed if doing an AVA match on the Historical WW2 map?

No discord is fine, the forum works as well. Discord is only for people who don't like to use this forum :) We could also use the CoW Conversations function optionally.
      Yes, you have to have premium even for HWW AVA matches. But blitzkreig is 100% Free and can be done without premium account and gold. I have an alliance too, I'm the vice president, I can leave it TEMPORARILY to make the allied alliance and control it. Good to hear about discord, thank you! Also, thank you for putting me down as USSR. Although I don't like communism, I love Russia. If someone else wants the USSR though, I can give it up for the USA or Romania.
      "Never fail to honor your people. When a true leader's work is done and his aims fulfilled, they should say and believe 'We did this ourselves.'" - US Army General George S. Patton Jr. [1885-1945]
    • General Freiheit wrote:

Yes, you have to have premium even for HWW AVA matches. But blitzkreig is 100% Free and can be done without premium account and gold. I have an alliance too, I'm the vice president, I can leave it TEMPORARILY to make the allied alliance and control it. Good to hear about discord, thank you! Also, thank you for putting me down as USSR. Although I don't like communism, I love Russia. If someone else wants the USSR though, I can give it up for the USA or Romania.
      Alright, I think Blitzkrieg is the best option then. I haven't played Blitzkrieg in a long time; which countries can you play as? Six Major Powers plus four Minors? Romania, Sweden, Turkey and Spain? (This is necessary for me to make edits to my main post :) )

Great to hear you make the Allied Alliance! I prefer to play as Germany, so I'll make the temporary Axis alliance. Haha you don't have to like the idealogy of your country. I don't like fascism either!
    • VictoryFirst wrote:

Note: edits are in italic.

Have you ever seen a Hearts of Iron IV 'Axis vs Allies' Multiplayer game? If not, that's fine, but if you do, have you ever wondered how this would look like in Call of War? I've been thinking about this, and I think it would be very fun to try it. I've been looking through the forum and there weren't any serious attempts at this. That's why I am going to attempt it myself. What I want to try, is to create a group of at least seven players, organise a game of Historical WW2, and reenact WW2 in Call of War

Of course, there needs to be a set of rules. But because I have no experience whatsoever in this, it is impossible to come up with a set of rules that work at this stage. We need to play a couple of test games first. The rules are mostly about specific dates, at which different powers can join the war, trade prohibitions and possibly the ban of some exploits that could come up. These test games should be very strict at first, following history as closely as possible. This way, we experience how the game flows, and create a rule system that adapts to this. Later, when we have more sophisticated rules and a larger game group, we can add roleplay stuff or alternate history. The possibilities could be endless.
      I don't know how much interest is in this, but if there is enough, we could possibly create a discord server, and organise a game every month or so. No Discord is fine though. Forum works as well :)

Rules for the test game
      First, we need to set up a couple of test games (1-3, or maybe more), where we follow history as closely as possible. We need at least six players for this:

Edit: because of technical difficulties, we have to play on the Blitzkrieg map first, instead of the Historical WW2 Map. One player of each faction has to create a temporary alliance, which players have to join. This way, we can do an AVA game without needing a premium account or gold. (Thanks to Lone Star General (General Freiheit) for suggesting this).

Axis:
      Germany - VictoryFirst
      Italy
      Romania
      (Spain)

Allies:
      United Kingdom
      France
      United States
      Soviet Union - Lone Star General

This section has been edited

How should this be interpreted, 'following history as closely as possible?' Well, it means that Major events of WW2, like the German invasion of Poland, France, USSR and the African campaign, and the Allies landing in France MUST occur, in some way. Not exactly, as this otherwise allows players to await attacks to certainly happen. The game is not fun if the Allies HAVE to land in Normandy, and the Germans stack all of their troops there. A bit of uncertainty is needed, i.e. the Allies are not obliged to exactly land at that spot, they can also decide to land in another spot in France, like Bordeaux, Calais, or even in the Netherlands for that matter. As long as they don't do anything weird like declaring war on Spain and landing there. My advice is: play in a sensible and historical way. How this will work in practice, is something we have to discuss.

Why so strict? If we have no well-thought rules yet, an 'alternate history' game could become very messy. If we have history as a guideline, the game will be more streamlined. The test game is used to find out which countries are strong or could become strong, which things work really and which things don't, what dates are good for the US and the USSR to join the war, etc. Once we know what rules to implement, both sides could do whatever they want, as long as their goal is to defeat the opposing faction.

Rules concerning technology and trade are important but are not there yet.

How to join?
      If you like to take part in this, respond to this thread, say that you are interested in playing and possible state a country that you would like to play as in the test games. Any ideas for rules, gameplay or whatever are very welcome. If you know some friends who like to play as well, feel free to let them know about this. Advertising is also very appreciated.

Conditions:
      Please don't sign up if you are a person that often goes AFK, or tries to be funny by attacking your allies. I want serious, involved people that like to take part in this project, and possibly help expand it. Also, if you are a very inexperienced player, it might be better to play some standard games first, before trying to take part in this.

If there is enough involvement, I will create a discord, in which we can communicate more easily. And again, if you have any thoughts or ideas for the rules, improvements, or anything else, feel free to let me know!
      I'm up for anything, would love to join. Don't have discord though sorry.
      All the best!
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks
    • VictoryFirst wrote:

General Freiheit wrote:

Alright, I think Blitzkrieg is the best option then. I haven't played Blitzkrieg in a long time; which countries can you play as? Six Major Powers plus four Minors? Romania, Sweden, Turkey and Spain? (This is necessary for me to make edits to my main post :) )
      Great to hear you make the Allied Alliance! I prefer to play as Germany, so I'll make the temporary Axis alliance. Haha you don't have to like the idealogy of your country. I don't like fascism either!
      I think there are 10 or 9 playable countries, not sure if Romania is. I can't remember all of 'em, sorry.
    • VictoryFirst wrote:

Hmm, this thread is slowly dying, unfortunately...
      I hope we can even get to six or seven players. We already have four!
      If you know some friends who would also like to take part in something like this, please let them know!
      Good day,
      I would like to participate in one of these rounds.
      (Romania is thats is fine with you)
      "Its Voring time"
      Hermann Goering (TNO) -c. 1960
    • Gen. Smit wrote:

when do you want to start it, eventually I could start a private game as I have a premium version. Is it fair to say that there are certain hours that attacking is forbidden, so that we are sleeping in thye night, or people are from around the globe?
      That's a good point. It would be not very fun if the Germans and Russian are twelve hours apart. But I don't think it would matter that much. It shouldn't be a goal to have players micro their units both at the same time. But in the case the difference is really a lot (8+ hours), it could be best to indeed forbid players to attack at a specific time.

For gameplay's sake, please note the time zone you live in in this thread. If there are any major time zone difference noticeable, we can come to a solution together.

Mine is UTC+1